Moderator: Moderators

Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Waste of a good Fiver?

Post by Russ »

Shan wrote:
Russ wrote:188 yoyos is a hell of a lot

We all like a good Les Kiss
It really isn't. If you had to live on it you'd know pretty quickly. Most of the langballs who go on about it are earning fair multiples of that amount. A lot wouldn't know what it was like to try and make food stretch for the week or to anguish over the choice of keeping a house warm or buying enough to have three meals a day.
Just to fill you in.

I lived in Dublin, D3 to be exact.

I worked for a charity trying to re0-establish itself and begin to fundraise whilst running leadership programmes for younglings

There was never a month where I had more than 200 yoyos to live on (luckily we had a flat)

I survived and lived well, I enjoyed the Guinness, the parks and the sights of dubbers

So to be told that some uneducated unemployed feck earnt in a week for scratching his Brennan what I did in a month really pished me off

Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Russ wrote:
Just to fill you in.

I worked for a charity trying to re0-establish itself and begin to fundraise whilst running leadership programmes for younglings

There was never a month where I had more than 200 yoyos to live on (luckily we had a flat)

I survived and lived well, I enjoyed the Guinness, the parks and the sights of dubbers

So to be told that some uneducated unemployed feck earnt in a week for scratching his Crozier what I did in a month really pished me off

Gimme a break. I am living here and I am telling you it would not be possible to live on that today. If you were living at home or sharing a flat it would be possible to live on €188 and a bit less and I am not suggesting you couldn't but you wouldn't be buying anything fancy. I am saying I could just about live on twice that net of mortgage payments in my present circumstances.
So to be told that some uneducated unemployed feck earnt in a week for scratching his Crozier what I did in a month really pished me off
F-ck off and stop making out that everybody on unemployment assistance is a dumb ass skanger. I know plenty of unfortunate feckers who have lost their jobs. There's 400k unemployed here and a f-cking legal slave labour camp in operation which is keeping 15k off the real figure. B0llocks to anyone who says all those folks want to be arsing about all day. I met a guy I used to work with the other day. He is f-cking heartbroken because he can't get a job no matter what he has tried to do. €188 f-cking euro. Up yer 'arris. :D
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Shan wrote:
Russ wrote:
Just to fill you in.

Gimme a break. I am living here and I am telling you it would not be possible to live on that today. If you were living at home or sharing a flat it would be possible to live on €188 and a bit less and I am not suggesting you couldn't but you wouldn't be buying anything fancy. I am saying I could just about live on twice that net of mortgage payments in my present circumstances.
F-ck off and stop making out that everybody on unemployment assistance is a dumb ass skanger. I know plenty of unfortunate feckers who have lost their jobs. There's 400k unemployed here and a f-cking legal slave labour camp in operation which is keeping 15k off the real figure. B0llocks to anyone who says all those folks want to be arsing about all day. I met a guy I used to work with the other day. He is f-cking heartbroken because he can't get a job no matter what he has tried to do. €188 f-cking euro. Up yer 'arris. :D
As he had been working before, he would be entitled to more

Time to make benefits reflective of those that contributed to them and allow those that have been unfortunate to lose their jobs the ability to sustain themselves whilst they get back on their feet

Time to reform the benefits system
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Serious question Russ, have you ever had your own house & bills to pay? Trouser Towers is neither grand nor a wee hovel, €188pw for a month would not pay my utility bills - oil, rates, leckie, phone, broadband.

I'd not like to raise a family on about £600 pm.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

BaggyTrousers wrote:

Serious question Russ, have you ever had your own house & bills to pay? Trouser Towers is neither grand nor a wee hovel, €188pw for a month would not pay my utility bills - oil, rates, leckie, phone, broadband.

I'd not like to raise a family on about £600 pm.
Yes.

And you are right it is impossible to do that for less than the stated amount

But 188 yoyos will be plus housing benefit plus kiddie benefit plus a load of other handouts

Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Russ wrote:
As he had been working before, he would be entitled to more

Time to make benefits reflective of those that contributed to them and allow those that have been unfortunate to lose their jobs the ability to sustain themselves whilst they get back on their feet

Time to reform the benefits system
Absolutely. Totally agree with that. It is a cause of annoyance to me that one's previous employment and consequent contributions is not factored in. You get the same amount regardless of how long you have worked and how much you have paid in with the only difference here being it is not means tested for the first 9 months. Even that used to be a year. It is an attack on the working people who find themselves in unfortunate circumstance of losing their job.

If I lost my job in the morning I would get €188 per week despite having paid in between €300k-€400k in taxes and levies over my twenty years of working thus far.

A lot of money set aside for welfare is consumed by bureacratic ballix. That is the first item which needs to be reformed. The "working" welfare recipients of the public sector need to be redeployed into areas where they can actually add value.

Young Fine Gael(Irish Tories but even more right wing) had a proposal recently in one of their verbal diarrhoea session in UCD that the minimum wage(Currently €8.65 per hour) should be cut by €2 an hour and the difference given as a tax credit. Problem is if you are on minimum wage you are not earning enough to pay income tax(you do pay the stealth income taxes of PRSI and USC) so the poor fecker on the lowest rung of the employment would be fecked while the wealthy business owners would think all their Christmases came early. This the type of w-nker going into politics in both our countries at the moment. Welfare for the wealthy at the expense of the ordinary honest decent working person. It is only one more step for them to say cut all benefits to dolers....Makes me sick.

This is one of the twáts involved. You just know by the look of him what he is like. Will never do a day's work in his life. The two young wans behind don't seem too impressed either. :D

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

My historic inflation calculator tells me Baggy's fiver is worth about £40 in today's money. The lads must have thought you were a right flash wee scrote :lol: Expenses in the Irish team probably weren't much more back then.

First praper job: £107/wk in 1986.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Get her valued Baggy

Absolutely glued to the cabinet announcement by the way

Great to see Boris will get Hague's seat at the next general election and thus become the greatest PM of all time
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

The Historical Enquiries team need to look into this one.

"Concerning notes, the Currency and Bank Notes Act 1928 says If any
person prints, or stamps, or by any means impresses, on any bank note
any words, letters or figures, he shall, in respect of each offence,
be liable on summary conviction to a penalty not exceeding one pound.
The penalty was changed to £25 in 1977 (Criminal Law Act, s.31) and to
£200 in 1982 (Criminal Justice Act, s.46)."

Everybody who signed seems to be potentially liable for a fine of £1, the maximum penalty when the alleged offences were committed.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

They can start by getting the quid off the chief cashier. He fecking started it. :D
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

big mervyn wrote:My historic inflation calculator tells me Baggy's fiver is worth about £40 in today's money. The lads must have thought you were a right flash wee scrote :lol: Expenses in the Irish team probably weren't much more back then.

I'd have thought closer to £60 today. 1975 a pint was about 30 newp wasn't it?
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

£169 per month when I started in 1977 (£2024 pa)

I was rich beyond my wildest - living at home helped, even though I was expected to hand over some of my hard-earned. I can't remember how much, but I do know me ma put up my "house-keeping" every time I got a pay rise until I got engaged. At that point she allowed me to keep any extra towards my wedding. Good training for married life and starting my own home it was too.

I saved £200 in my first 6 months then started driving and hardly saved a penny for the next lot of years. Petrol was under 50p per GALLON back then, but because places in Belfast had a habit of going bang and falling down around you in the seventies, we drove miles for a decent night out that we had a reasonable chance of returning home from alive .... although the journeys could be a bit fraught at times. Weekends in Dublin were like a different world. Belfast closed at teatimes.
Last edited by Cap'n Grumpy on Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

BR wrote:
big mervyn wrote:My historic inflation calculator tells me Baggy's fiver is worth about £40 in today's money. The lads must have thought you were a right flash wee scrote :lol: Expenses in the Irish team probably weren't much more back then.

Wouldn't know BR. Even in the 70s most barmen wouldn't serve an 11 yo :lol:

I do recall being able to get a pint for 50p when I started uni in 1982 but them was student union prices. Up to 70p in pubs and clubs I think.

How long before somebody mentions "old money" here? :lol:
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

big mervyn wrote:
BR wrote:

Wouldn't know BR. Even in the 70s most barmen wouldn't serve an 11 yo :lol:

I do recall being able to get a pint for 50p when I started uni in 1982 but them was student union prices. Up to 70p in pubs and clubs I think.

How long before somebody mentions "old money" here? :lol:
In the early seventies I was able to get served in offies from the age of 12. Didn't go into pubs much (with one or two exceptions) because as previously mentioned, they had a habit of going bang and falling down.
I'm not arguing -
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BR wrote:

Not sure about pints - a bit more maybe, because a tin of Bass Export or Smithwicks would have been about 24p about then IIRC
I'm not arguing -