Post by Russ »

Hold on til I call all the boys and ask them if they are fit

Anscombe Out
bazzaj

Re: Argentina v Ireland

Post by bazzaj »

Let me know as soon as
Don't suspect you will find many
My point being we took our strongest available when perhaps it may have been a missed opportunity to use our fringe players and 'develop' what little squad strength we have.
There is virtually no chance to do that now till the WC.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Baz

You don't send a team of unknowns to a tier 2-1 country especially a year before the World Cup when you are in search of a mid field combination

The sad fact is that at least 3 or 4 of those who might be trying for the centre spots couldn't tour

Olding Henshaw Payne Fitzgerald and Earls and each and every supporters have different ideas as to the combinations that they would like to try .

Similarly the back row was mostly experimental combinations of experience and newly selected

In my opinion the management were as experimental as possible without insulting the opposition and in the knowledge that the players you might consider should have been included were with the emerging Ireland party

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

The game against Scotland puts our series win in perspective!
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Yes indeed santa that puts us on a par with Scotland!
For the record rum I think the likes of Sexton POC and Best would have benefited from a rest rather than going halfway round the world to play a team of second stringers.
With quick turnaround games in the world cup we should be reliant on systems and the set up rather than individuals.
I don't believe that Marmion Jones Madigan Cronin Ruddock Murphy Roux or Henderson are umknowns but they are they type of fringe players that we will want to field against the lesser sides on the WC to give our OAPs a break.
Still this ABs game is hilarious!
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

bazzaj wrote:Yes indeed santa that puts us on a par with Scotland!
For the record rum I think the likes of Sexton POC and Best would have benefited from a rest rather than going halfway round the world to play a team of second stringers.
With quick turnaround games in the world cup we should be reliant on systems and the set up rather than individuals.
I don't believe that Marmion Jones Madigan Cronin Ruddock Murphy Roux or Henderson are umknowns but they are they type of fringe players that we will want to field against the lesser sides on the WC to give our OAPs a break.
Still this ABs game is hilarious!
Any other players who have a chance of playing in RWC are at the Tibesi cup matches
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

If PoM had been available PoC might not have gone but without PoM or PoC the pack might have lacked effective leadership

While Best can Captain his contribution declines in that role and he is not on a par with PoC or PoM as a leader of a pack

My view would be that it was either Best or Healy to be left at home but not both and Healy has had the more troublesome injuries and Best the greater benefit of rest because of injury during the season

With green and somewhat untried centres together with Jackson with drawing was always going to have to play .

In my opinion the management would have liked to leave all three at home but in the circumstances considered it would be unwise plus the experience of those players to assist in post match analysis cannot be discounted when assessing the new boys on the block

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Fair points all but ultimately it didn't work did it?
As good a coach as Joe is, his forsight is not as good as my hindsight
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Rory hasn't played a lot of rugby this season so it was fair enough for him to go. POC was there to be POC, although I think he is going to have to be wrapped in bubble wrap this incoming season to get him through to RWC in any kind of shape.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

I don't know if its not getting to a stage that POC is having a detrimental effect on the side.
He will only get older and slower yet he will still have an immense influence on any side he plays on such is his standing..
With Ireland wanting to play a quick tempo could POCs influence be used to slow things up to suit his own game?
Where he can be used is in around a squad or coming on in tight situations but 80 minutes of intense rugby at the highest level might well be beyond him.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

bazzaj wrote: With Ireland wanting to play a quick tempo could POCs influence be used to slow things up to suit his own game?
I don't think any player is capable of slowing down a game plan anyway coaches would be on it after a quarter of a game.. I think you know little of POC if you think he would put himself ahead of the team. You are talking about a man of exceptional character.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

I actually think PoC as an International is finished the want is there but the stamina has gone the ability to hit every ruck like a bull in heat just doesn't exist anymore against lesser sides it may not matter but against the the TOP 6 it is a must thus from an Ireland point of view an injury free PoM is more important provided he continues to let his head rule his game .

If PoM can't control himself on the pitch he would be better off it but as a motivator I think he is better than any of others available.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

bazzaj wrote:I don't know if its not getting to a stage that POC is having a detrimental effect on the side.
He will only get older and slower yet he will still have an immense influence on any side he plays on such is his standing..
With Ireland wanting to play a quick tempo could POCs influence be used to slow things up to suit his own game?
Where he can be used is in around a squad or coming on in tight situations but 80 minutes of intense rugby at the highest level might well be beyond him.

Birth Certificates have as much as feck all to do with anything Jizzer. Every player in the world will be 15 months older in 15 months time. The only thing that matters is his form at the time, Joe will decide that.

O'Connell in my estimation still has the ability, particularly in the full Irish team, to play like two men & a wee fella, he is the same age as Bakkies Botha, 3 years younger than Victor Matfield & is currently 3 years younger than Simon Shaw at the last RWC.

Form counts. Age ? Nah, it's got tusks and massive ears and is called Irelephant.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

So long as POC remembers in his old age that he is a brad pitt ball carrier, then if he is in the top 2 locks on the island, then he is on the field
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Russ wrote:So long as POC remembers in his old age that he is a brad pitt ball carrier, then if he is in the top 2 locks on the island, then he is on the field
You know what Russ, ould Paulie has never been a big ball carrier in terms of yards/metres for youngish, but what he has usually done in ball carrying terms has been rock solid at getting the ball back on his side. That my boy is more valuable than the Vunibastard type who will make yards then loose it.

That said I would not rank his ball carrying as a major part of his game, and he is far from alone in great second rows in that, few of them are, small gains and present the ball is the stock in trade.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.