The Reincarnation of Robbie Diack

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: The Reincarnation of Robbie Diack

Post by Rooster »

ruckover wrote:Has Anscombe brought out the best in him? :stir: :duck:

On another note, should Diack start at 6 for us next season and have Wilson and Williams competing for the 8 shirt?
Robbie was always a very classy player with superb ball skills, remember he used to take a fair number of restarts and lurked around taking high returned balls to run into contact, he then had a spate of leg injuries, very bad dead leg at one stage which kept him out of action and seemed to take a long time to completely recover from.
He could well be a captain possibility next season.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Well Robbie had a mixed game, imperious in the line-out, petty industrious but that butchered 3 on 1 overlap won't have endeared him to Josep. Our Jo seems to major on the small things that have a big impact, at that stage of the game a try might have allowed Ireland to build a gap before half time. Instead if was a sweat against an inferior team for over an hour.

One mistake but a big one.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Well Robbie had a mixed game, imperious in the line-out, petty industrious but that butchered 3 on 1 overlap won't have endeared him to Josep. Our Jo seems to major on the small things that have a big impact, at that stage of the game a try might have allowed Ireland to build a gap before half time. Instead if was a sweat against an inferior team for over an hour.

I don't think he butchered an overlap

The Irish players were all running sideways, with the Argies drifting

Diack straightened the line, but was too slow to get the pass away, even if he has passed the ball, the Argies had all come over to have the numbers.

What was needed was a Falou/Honey Badger switch off of Diack
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Well Robbie had a mixed game, imperious in the line-out, petty industrious but that butchered 3 on 1 overlap won't have endeared him to Josep. Our Jo seems to major on the small things that have a big impact, at that stage of the game a try might have allowed Ireland to build a gap before half time. Instead if was a sweat against an inferior team for over an hour.

On the other hand, I'd trust Joe over DK/EOS to sit Robbie down, tell him what he did wrong, help him fix it and then if anything, leave him in a better position for selection for the 23. Schmidt doesn't seem to do one mistake and you're out.
It's the hope that kills you.
lw7
Novice

Post by lw7 »

Russ wrote:

Diack straightened the line, but was too slow to get the pass away, even if he has passed the ball, the Argies had all come over to have the numbers.

>flog

You need to take your Ulster beer goggles off

To quote the great Mick Gibson 'The simple things of rugby..The thinking bit.. The ability to anticipate, read situations. Making the right decisions is a facet that separates players '
This is the same player who cost us a simple score in the Pro 12 Final last year. We lost by 7 points.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

lw7 wrote:
Russ wrote:

>flog

To quote the great Mick Gibson 'The simple things of rugby..The thinking bit.. The ability to anticipate, read situations. Making the right decisions is a facet that separates players '
This is the same player who cost us a simple score in the Pro 12 Final last year. We lost by 7 points.
Utter guff

Saw it once again

3 players covering across, 1 on Zebo already and outside Zebo was a piece of brad pitt

Right decision

Anscombe Out
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

I agree. Too much is being made of this "butchered overlap" which in reality was three Ireland players on two Argies who were adopting a drift defence. The pundits simply saw 3 v 2 and came to the hasty conclusion that there was an overlap gone begging. Best case scenario would've been Zebo taking on the winger one-on-one in the corner had the ball gone wide.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

ruckover wrote:I agree. Too much is being made of this "butchered overlap" which in reality was three Ireland players on two Argies who were adopting a drift defence. The pundits simply saw 3 v 2 and came to the hasty conclusion that there was an overlap gone begging. Best case scenario would've been Zebo taking on the winger one-on-one in the corner had the ball gone wide.
Correct Ruckie. He made one of those 'slightly high tariff, but if it comes off your a genius' decisions and it didn't come off, but it wasn't a clear cut try by any means. On balance he should have passed, but in hindsight it's always easy to make the correct call.
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

lw7 wrote:To quote the great Mick Gibson 'The simple things of rugby..The thinking bit.. The ability to anticipate, read situations. Making the right decisions is a facet that separates players '
Ulster lost by six... And in terms of moments that defined the game, Henderson giving away that penalty 10 metres from the Leinster line should probably be mentioned too. Indeed, there is a logical fallacy here; if Diack has scored 15 minutes into that game, do you really suppose the rest of the game would have panned out as it did? Who knows what would have happened in the remaining 65 minutes...

Even then, Diack butchered the chance by doing something stupid not be being selfish. He cut inside when he had an easy outside run to the line. Diack was right to go for the line against Leinster, which kind of suggests that the two situations aren't causally linked to some kind of inherent problem in Diack's game. This, by the way, is to assume that Diack was at fault against Argentina and I fear this, in part, stems from an issue common to a lot of rugby fans (and pundits) - they don't really understand how a drift defence looks. This is why Jonathan Davies constantly thinks Wales have extra men and that they need to move the ball across the pitch, even though Wales never do. I fear, your comments suggest that to be the case as well. Drift defences make it look like there are overlaps when there are, in fact, no overlaps. In retrospect, Diack should have given the ball but the situation isn't as criminal as it looks to the causal observer, as is well discussed in this thread.
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

Neil F wrote:
lw7 wrote:To quote the great Mick Gibson 'The simple things of rugby..The thinking bit.. The ability to anticipate, read situations. Making the right decisions is a facet that separates players '
Ulster lost by six... And in terms of moments that defined the game, Henderson giving away that penalty 10 metres from the Leinster line should probably be mentioned too. Indeed, there is a logical fallacy here; if Diack has scored 15 minutes into that game, do you really suppose the rest of the game would have panned out as it did? Who knows what would have happened in the remaining 65 minutes...

Even then, Diack butchered the chance by doing something stupid not be being selfish. He cut inside when he had an easy outside run to the line. Diack was right to go for the line against Leinster, which kind of suggests that the two situations aren't causally linked to some kind of inherent problem in Diack's game. This, by the way, is to assume that Diack was at fault against Argentina and I fear this, in part, stems from an issue common to a lot of rugby fans (and pundits) - they don't really understand how a drift defence looks. This is why Jonathan Davies constantly thinks Wales have extra men and that they need to move the ball across the pitch, even though Wales never do. I fear, your comments suggest that to be the case as well. Drift defences make it look like there are overlaps when there are, in fact, no overlaps. In retrospect, Diack should have given the ball but the situation isn't as criminal as it looks to the causal observer, as is well discussed in this thread.

For the love of God, Neil. Stop making so much sense. IT'S SILLY SEASON!

>crazy1 >bud >happyparty :party: :afro: >drinks
It's the hope that kills you.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Russ wrote:
lw7 wrote:
Russ wrote:

>flog

Utter guff

Saw it once again

3 players covering across, 1 on Zebo already and outside Zebo was a piece of brad pitt

Right decision

Anscombe Out
Utter bullshit Russ, he screwed up & this week Josef didn't select him despite he having had a good game other than his abysmal scorning of a simple 3:1 overlap.

Josef is like that, despite his pretty affable persona Joe is a hard b'stard. Robbie given a message, and the message is "if you can't do the simple things right you aren't playing for me. Josef will not have missed Robbie being over the line in last years Pro12 Final & not scoring.

Big mistakes in big matches, they get black marks writ large in indelible marker.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Russ wrote:
lw7 wrote:
Russ wrote:

>flog

Utter guff

Saw it once again

Right decision

Anscombe Out
Utter bullshit Russ, he screwed up & this week Josef didn't select him despite he having had a good game other than his abysmal scorning of a simple 3:1 overlap.

Josef is like that, despite his pretty affable persona Joe is a hard b'stard. Robbie given a message, and the message is "if you can't do the simple things right you aren't playing for me. Josef will not have missed Robbie being over the line in last years Pro12 Final & not scoring.

Big mistakes in big matches, they get black marks writ large in indelible marker.
From what I understand from inside camp las malvinas son british, robbie was told he would be involved one week and not the rest

when I see an overlap I always wonder, will jiffy scream numbas, if the answer is yes, it is not a real overlap

jiffy would hve screamed numbas

Anscombe Out
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

My understanding is that everyone went on this tour knowing exactly what they would be doing and when. I don't think Robbie was dropped at all. He was told that he was getting 80 in the first test and that was it.