Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

New Zealand Would Have Toured Nazi Germany

Post by Russ »

Discuss
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Re: New Zealand Would Have Toured Nazi Germany

Post by Kofi Annan »

Why would they have toured a B nation team that did not play any Rugby between 1939 -1951 (except one game against Italy in 1940)
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Kofi Annan wrote:Why would they have toured a B nation team that did not play any Rugby between 1939 -1951 (except one game against Italy in 1940)

A comment made by an ex Samoan international who was deeply frustrated that New Zealand are being paid a large sum of money to tour the USA, yet will not tour the Pacific Islands.

Basically he said, if Hitler had an interest in rugby, they would have toured if offered money to.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

A daft comment. The economic realities of the professional game. The All Blacks the biggest global brand and touring is a vital part of their cash flow.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Snipe Watson wrote:A daft comment. The economic realities of the professional game. The All Blacks the biggest global brand and touring is a vital part of their cash flow.

Yes. But they also should be touring the minor countries close to home too.

Except, giving the Pacific Islands more games would mean the NZ player pool would reduce
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

Russ, perhaps one could say something similar about Ireland. Perhaps we should be playing our own near neighbours in Portugal, Spain or the Netherlands instead of travelling to Argentina in the summer, or instead of having Australia and South Africa visiting Dublin next November?

The commercial realities of the sport do not match the ideals of game development but the problem you describe is far from unique to the All Blacks. Development of the game needs to come from the IRB, not individual unions who, in most cases, need as much income as possible to support the set up of the game in their domains. The NZRU is not a charity, nor should it be. Nor is the IRFU. It is not the job of these bodies to develop the game beyond their own borders. That's the job of the IRB. Individuals and / or players criticising the NZRU for making such decisions is neither here nor there because they fail to recognise that, if there is a failure at all, it is a failing of the IRB not of the individual unions. No one should blame a union for trying to maximise its revenues. The real criticism, if there needs be criticism at all, should be aimed at the IRB. The IRB has a duty to develop the game all across the globe; the same cannot be said of any individual union.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Neil F wrote:Russ, perhaps one could say something similar about Ireland. Perhaps we should be playing our own near neighbours in Portugal, Spain or the Netherlands instead of travelling to Argentina in the summer, or instead of having Australia and South Africa visiting Dublin next November?

The commercial realities of the sport do not match the ideals of game development but the problem you describe is far from unique to the All Blacks. Development of the game needs to come from the IRB, not individual unions who, in most cases, need as much income as possible to support the set up of the game in their domains. The NZRU is not a charity, nor should it be. Nor is the IRFU. It is not the job of these bodies to develop the game beyond their own borders. That's the job of the IRB. Individuals and / or players criticising the NZRU for making such decisions is neither here nor there because they fail to recognise that, if there is a failure at all, it is a failing of the IRB not of the individual unions. No one should blame a union for trying to maximise its revenues. The real criticism, if there needs be criticism at all, should be aimed at the IRB. The IRB has a duty to develop the game all across the globe; the same cannot be said of any individual union.

We do play our neighbours - now on a yearly basis. Our team even travels to there to play.

I think some of the former Glaws (arseholes) player's comments were because simply the AB are like a vacuum sucking in all the resources from the islands and giving nothing back (kind of like England are trying to be)
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Similarly the ABs can send an emerging side with a few stars to the USA with little fear of being beaten the Islanders are a different ball game with much to prove and maybe a few scores to settle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Would it not be a good idea for the Wolfies or even the provinces to have a match with the likes of Spain or Portugal ?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

My memory has an Ulster XV thrashing Spain a few years back.

As for NZ sucking the resources of the Islands, who the fck do you think developed the resources in the first place? Samoa would not be half the team they are today without their big neighbour.

However, I would like to see a few more test matches between them.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Rooster wrote:Would it not be a good idea for the Wolfies or even the provinces to have a match with the likes of Spain or Portugal ?
Maybe we should be more like Saracens taking the game to Belgium and the like? :duck:
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Neil F wrote:Russ, perhaps one could say something similar about Ireland. Perhaps we should be playing our own near neighbours in Portugal, Spain or the Netherlands instead of travelling to Argentina in the summer, or instead of having Australia and South Africa visiting Dublin next November?

Unusually Neil you have composed a chapter on a daft thread, accurately quoted by Russ, based on the rantings of a player who is no stranger to hyperbole nor indeed to spouting hyperbollox.

Silly season getting to you ould haun'? >EW
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I think some of the former Glaws (arseholes) player's comments were because simply the AB are like a vacuum sucking in all the resources from the islands and giving nothing back (kind of like England are trying to be)
And there Russ you have the basis of what could be a more interesting thread, though perhaps we have already "done it to death" in the HC threads.

Vunts.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

BR wrote:My memory has an Ulster XV thrashing Spain a few years back.
Portugal at Ravers BR?

64-0 rings a bell
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

big mervyn wrote:
BR wrote:My memory has an Ulster XV thrashing Spain a few years back.
Portugal at Ravers BR?

64-0 rings a bell
In the modern professional era I would argue that most club teams would now beat international teams?
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18