Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Springboks v World XV

Post by Neill_M »

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,2588 ... 42,00.html

Roger Wilson selected.

Former Springbok coach Nick Mallett believes the players selected for his World XV squad are in top form for their match against South Africa in Cape Town on Saturday, 7 June.

The squad of 23 players, comprising of Test stars from New Zealand, France, Australia, Ireland, Samoa, Tonga, Georgia and South Africa, boasts a total of 707 caps between them.

"The group of players who have been selected for this match are not only very experienced, but are all in very good form at the moment," said Mallett.

The latest additions to the squad of 23 include four All Blacks with 185 Tests worth of experience between them. Experienced hooker Andrew Hore, who has 83 caps for New Zealand, heads the list of Kiwis, followed by scrum-half Jimmy Cowan (51 Tests) and speedsters Sitiveni Sivivatu (45) and Rene Ranger (6).

The Kiwi quartet will be joined in the World XV squad by French Test players Aurelien Rougerie (centre, 71 caps) and Alexandre Lapandry (loose forward, 6 caps), as well as loose forwards Roger Wilson (Ireland, 1 cap) and Mamuka Gorgodze (Georgia, 51 caps).

Samoan lock Joe Tekori (26 caps) and Tongan prop Sona Taumalolo (5 caps) will add a Pacific flavour to the team.

The only uncapped members of the squad are Rory Kockott and Schalk Ferreira. The most experienced of the South African contingent in the squad is BJ Botha, who has 25 Springbok caps to his name, followed by Juandré Kruger (17 caps), Schalk Brits (5 caps) and Alistair Hargreaves (4 caps).

"I'm very happy that the final pieces of the jigsaw are now falling into place," added Mallett.

"Despite the very short preparation time, I'm really looking forward to getting together with this group of very talented players and preparing them for this match.

"It promises to be a very exciting match, looking at the talent assembled in this strong squad. I'm sure they are all relishing the opportunity to play against the Springboks in South Africa.

"It's also a rare chance to see a World XV-style team playing in South Africa, and where better than the oldest Test venue in the country?"

Unfortunately French loose forward Julien Bonnaire, who has 75 Test caps to his name, was forced to withdraw from the squad because of an injury. A replacement will be named in due course.

World XV squad:

Backs: James O'Connor (London Irish, Australia - 44 Test caps), Drew Mitchell (Toulon, Australia - 63), Hosea Gear (Toulouse, New Zealand - 14), Sititiveni Sivivatu (Clermont, New Zealand - 45), Aurelien Rougerie (Clermont, France - 71), Rene Ranger (Montpelier, New Zealand - 6), Matt Giteau (Toulon, Australia - 92), François Trinh-Duc (Montpelier, France - 48), Rory Kockott (Castres, South Africa - uncapped) and Jimmy Cowan (Gloucester, New Zealand - 51).

Forwards: Steffon Armitage (Toulon, England - 5 Test caps), Alexandre Lapandry (Clermont, France - 6), Roger Wilson (Ulster, Ireland - 1), Mamuka Gorgodze (Montpellier, Georgia - 51), Alistair Hargreaves (Saracens, South Africa - 4), Joe Tekori (Toulouse, Samoa - 26), Juandré Kruger (Racing Metro, South Africa - 17), Schalk Brits (Saracens, South Africa - 5), Andrew Hore (New Zealand - 83), Schalk Ferreira (Toulouse, South Africa - uncapped), Sona Taumololo (Perpignan, Tonga - 5), BJ Botha (Munster, South Africa - 25) and Carl Hayman (Toulon, New Zealand - 45).
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Springboks v World XV

Post by Russ »

Congrats for roger

Is Mallett free to come coach us?

Sent from my Brennan
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

I thought he had quit after Italy.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Russ wrote:Congrats for roger

Is Mallett free to come coach us?

Sent from my Crozier
He is on the shortlist for Gloucester :shock:

http://www.gloucestercitizen.co.uk/Glou ... story.html
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Disappointing list that...
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Once a Knight wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:Disappointing list that...
Only if you're a Glaws fan! :lol:
They dodged a bullet or six >6shooter
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Wilson starts on Sat. On Skysports ko 4pm.

South Africa: 15 Willie le Roux, 14 Cornal Hendricks, 13 JP Pietersen, 12 Frans Steyn, 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Morne Steyn, 9 Ruan Pienaar, 8 Duane Vermeulen, 7 Willem Alberts, 6 Francois Louw, 5 Victor Matfield (c), 4 Bakkies Botha, 3 Jannie du Plessis, 2 Bismarck du Plessis, 1 Tendai Mtawarira.
Replacements: 16 Schalk Brits, 17 Gurthro Steenkamp, 18 Coenie Oosthuizen, 19 Flip van der Merwe, 20 Schalk Burger, 21 Fourie du Preez, 22 Johan Goosen, 23 Lwazi Mvovo.

World XV: 15 James O'Connor, 14 Drew Mitchell, 13 Rene Ranger, 12 Wynand Olivier, 11 Hosea Gear, 10 Matt Giteau, 9 Rory Kockott, 8 Roger Wilson, 7 Steffon Armitage, 6 Mamuka Gorgodze, 5 Alistair Hargreaves, 4 Juandré Kruger, 3 Carl Hayman, 2 Craig Burden, 1 Sona Taumalolo.
Replacements: 16 Andrew Hore, 17 Schalk Ferreira, 18 Pat Cilliers, 19 Joe Tekori, 20 Alexandre Lapandry, 21 Jimmy Cowan, 22 François Trinh-Duc, 23 Benson Stanley.
Gael
Steward

Post by Gael »

Any links for a stream of this one?
There was never a guard nor a customs man, got his nose inside that transit van.
Hans Indaruck
Squire

Post by Hans Indaruck »

Gael wrote:Any links for a stream of this one?
It's live on Sky if that's any good to you!
Hope is not a strategy.
Gael
Steward

Post by Gael »

Ah jaysus its not til the mara
There was never a guard nor a customs man, got his nose inside that transit van.
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Seriously good back line there
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg