Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Well Said Darren Cave...

Post by Russ »

Please do not put Coughlan in the same league as those other 3
MattMo
Initiate

Post by MattMo »

mickey_soft_hands wrote:with the reduced numbers of players on central contracts are the irfu not picking the team for the coach. Has a player on a central contract ever been dropped for a player on a provincial one??? I really can t remember this happening. Wilson/copeland/coughlan would have to sumersault backwards down the pitch, best 20 defenders score multiple tries, out box ali, race bolt then nutmeg ronaldo then messi, and kick conversions from their own 22 to be even in with a chance of stealing the jersey of a heaslip.
when A player given a central contract they are esentially being told, your club is now Ireland, thats where your/our priorities lie.if youre fit you play.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
I think you misunderstand, there should be 2 centrally contracted players for each position that they feel they need cover in. Heaslip, currently is playing very well, for the past few years was unspectacular, but solid. On top of this, we had few options to replace beyond bringing Roger Wilson over, which would complicate his Premiership contract.
Heaslip has also never been an injury concern, say whatever you wish about him, but his skins made of steel.

If on the other hand we have such things like, Mike Ross, who is an injury possibility. We now have Declan Fitzpatrick to Cover on a Central contract. This means that Ulster don't lose out to Ireland because of Leinster not keeping Ross fit, because Ulster don't pay him. Sadly, Fitzpatrick is made of glass though, and the likelihood that he's also injured is high.

The central contracts are far less of a "we're your club now" and far more of a "You're needed by Ireland, so play here".
They will of course, not give a central contract to players surplus to Irish requirements, who aren't going to stay in the country, unlike what WRU are currently looking to do with their "we should have a quota per team" talks.
Obviously it benefits both the player and the province to be on a Central contract, and benefits the younger players wanting time to play for their province but held out by the internationals.

This also does not make it written in stone that the centrally contracted player will be played. The coach is still in control of who is picked, and the contracts are only there for those who are likely to be there. They don't necessarily just get given that contract back, and what we saw with O'brien and Heaslip recently was pressure to give them there's back. I'm sure the IRFU considered the other options, and have looked at Robin Copeland and Jordi Murphy as a "we can get by without you" card in future for Heaslip pressurising for more money.

It's not clear cut as "centrally contracted, you're the only option for international" as you suggested. The only central dropped I can think of is when Ryan usurped O'Callaghan, and then McCarthy pulling off the same, which happened suddenly for both, but I may be wrong there
Payne to play 13 for Leinster or 15 for Ulster
OneMore
Warrior Chief

Post by OneMore »

Hasn't Trimble been on a central contract for ages, but they've had no problem repeatedly not selecting him?
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

OneMore wrote:Hasn't Trimble been on a central contract for ages, but they've had no problem repeatedly not selecting him?
Part of their religious outreach programme I heard. They couldn't find any jews or muslims so it failed

sent from my crozier
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

OneMore wrote:Hasn't Trimble been on a central contract for ages, but they've had no problem repeatedly not selecting him?
Correct Yin, the central contract thing is truly bizarre, at a time when we are told that central contracts are being reduced, we see fringe players like AAT & Fat Deccie getting them, serially wounded Stevie Ferris being maintained on one.

They truly work in mysterious ways in D4.

As for Darren I assume he will play this weekend in white.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
OneMore
Warrior Chief

Post by OneMore »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Correct Yin, the central contract thing is truly bizarre, at a time when we are told that central contracts are being reduced, we see fringe players like AAT & Fat Deccie getting them, serially wounded Stevie Ferris being maintained on one.

They truly work in mysterious ways in D4.

As for Darren I assume he will play this weekend in white.
I agree Baggy. It's not that I think that how they manage central contracts is necessarily wrong, it's more that I don't think we'll ever understand it.