Zebre out

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

Eggs
Warrior Chief

Zebre out

Post by Eggs »

I know that this has been discussed at length before, but surely action needs to be taken. The argument that they develop through the competition is nonsense, it cant be good for them. And it was bad enough when they were simply taking up a place instead of a more deserving team, they are having a really negative effect on the competition as a whole. They are a joke and an embarrassment.

There is an underlying problem with the 'best runners up' qualification in any case, as the nature of these things is that the group with the strongest teams will most probably have the lowest points in second place, but may well have the strongest 2nd place team. But Zebre effectively giving a guaranteed qualification makes it worse.

Also, makes for bloody boring rugby, I never bother watching a game they are involved in, and would watch all the rest. Italian teams do not need to be told shape up or your out', they need to be booted to the Amlin, and they can play with the big boys when they earn it on merit. Its one thing to play in the league, where they may be against weakened sides, and can cause surprises, but they don't belong in the SDC.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Zebre out

Post by Rooster »

Eggs wrote:I know that this has been discussed at length before, but surely action needs to be taken. The argument that they develop through the competition is nonsense, it cant be good for them. And it was bad enough when they were simply taking up a place instead of a more deserving team, they are having a really negative effect on the competition as a whole. They are a joke and an embarrassment.

There is an underlying problem with the 'best runners up' qualification in any case, as the nature of these things is that the group with the strongest teams will most probably have the lowest points in second place, but may well have the strongest 2nd place team. But Zebre effectively giving a guaranteed qualification makes it worse.

Also, makes for bloody boring rugby, I never bother watching a game they are involved in, and would watch all the rest. Italian teams do not need to be told shape up or your out', they need to be booted to the Amlin, and they can play with the big boys when they earn it on merit. Its one thing to play in the league, where they may be against weakened sides, and can cause surprises, but they don't belong in the SDC.
Name a team that deserves it more ?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

The whole competition is a joke
Eggs
Warrior Chief

Post by Eggs »

Cardiff were next in line, they wouldn't have shipped 12 tries
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Russ wrote:The whole competition is a joke
Sarriscum are the biggest joke
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Eggs wrote:Cardiff were next in line, they wouldn't have shipped 12 tries
10 is almost 12
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

It's a bit of a joke really. I'm all for developing Italian rugby but their sides have had a few years now to make an impression. It really skews the SDC. If you are in with Zebre, then 2 sides are gonna progress from that group.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

The politics of the game demand that everyone gets a team in the Scooby-Doo. It's ludicrous. No team learns anything or develops by shipping 80 points.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Snipe Watson wrote:The politics of the game demand that everyone gets a team in the Scooby-Doo. It's ludicrous. No team learns anything or develops by shipping 80 points.
We shipped close to that recently
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Russ wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:The politics of the game demand that everyone gets a team in the Scooby-Doo. It's ludicrous. No team learns anything or develops by shipping 80 points.
We shipped close to that recently
I wouldn't say much till after the Clermont away match on their showing against Exeter today
Rory Best
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

By this logic we should have been thrown out after Toulon instead of embarrassing ourselves again this season.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.