Willis to sue Sale?

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Willis to sue Sale?

Post by ColinM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/37173849
Former Sale Sharks player Cillian Willis is to sue the club for alleged clinical negligence over a career-ending concussion.

Willis was twice treated for a head injury in a game with Saracens in March 2013, but was allowed to keep playing.

The 31-year-old was later substituted in the 49th minute of the match.

McHale and Co Solicitors, who are representing Willis, confirmed the existence of the lawsuit but declined to provide any further comment.

A match report on Sale's website from the game with Saracens said: "Sharks were dealt an early blow when scrum-half Cillian Willis appeared to be tackled high and was attended to by the medical team. Thankfully he got to his feet and resumed."

The report later details the former Ireland Under-21 scrum-half being replaced, as he was "struggling after his earlier injury".

Willis, a cousin of former Ireland captain Brian O'Driscoll, made 31 appearances for Sale after joining the Premiership side from Leinster, having previously played for Ulster and Connacht.

Sale have been contacted by the BBC, but are yet to comment
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Willis to sue Sale?

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Would it be wrong to suggest that his cousin with a voracious appetite for cash suggested there could be a few easy quid in it?

Not so funny for the game, I am aware that insurance for the guys rose steeply a few years back, with I believe a sharpening of conditions and diminution of benefits.

Insurance companies are of course lady's front bottoms..... Isn't that so Russ?
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Concussion could be the biggest threat to the sport in this era.
I've been keeping an eye on what happens in the NFL as that could have implications this side of the Atlantic. Their concussion class action lawsuit has been settled, but its outworking is still a work in progress.
If anyone is interested in reading more:
https://www.nflconcussionsettlement.com/Home.aspx
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Concussion itself is not the problem in the Willis case it is negligence by the team medics that is coming under scrutiny.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Rooster wrote:Concussion itself is not the problem in the Willis case it is negligence by the team medics that is coming under scrutiny.
Yes, as with the NFL, the question is going to be similar to:
Retired players experienced head trauma during their NFL football playing careers that resulted in brain injuries, which have caused or may cause them long-term neurological problems. The Plaintiffs accused the NFL Parties of being aware of the evidence and the risks associated with repetitive traumatic brain injuries but failing to warn and protect the players against the long-term risks, and ignoring and concealing this information from the players. The NFL Parties denied the claims in the litigation.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Rooster wrote:Concussion itself is not the problem in the Willis case it is negligence by the team medics that is coming under scrutiny.
Retired players experienced head trauma during their NFL football playing careers that resulted in brain injuries, which have caused or may cause them long-term neurological problems. The Plaintiffs accused the NFL Parties of being aware of the evidence and the risks associated with repetitive traumatic brain injuries but failing to warn and protect the players against the long-term risks, and ignoring and concealing this information from the players. The NFL Parties denied the claims in the litigation.
Don't think it is the same Snipe, Willis was out cold from what I read and the medics then said that he could play on then got another bang and they still left him on the pitch, nothing about previous or other injuries it was a specific match and stupid decisions to let him continue when he was unfit.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Rooster wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
Don't think it is the same Snipe, Willis was out cold from what I read and the medics then said that he could play on then got another bang and they still left him on the pitch, nothing about previous or other injuries it was a specific match and stupid decisions to let him continue when he was unfit.
I'm not so much talking about the specific Willis case. I'm more interested in, or concerned about the notion of a class action or series of actions against unions or clubs that could financially ruin the game.
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

You would hope everything with regards to the treatment of Deccie Fitz was above the line, wasn't in the best of ways when he retired.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Would it be wrong to suggest that his cousin with a voracious appetite for cash suggested there could be a few easy quid in it?

Not so funny for the game, I am aware that insurance for the guys rose steeply a few years back, with I believe a sharpening of conditions and diminution of benefits.

Yes but no worse than lawyers
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Russ wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:Would it be wrong to suggest that his cousin with a voracious appetite for cash suggested there could be a few easy quid in it?

Aye and you could have added bankers.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Russ wrote:

Aye and you could have added bankers.
And those pesky management consultants
blerta
Novice

Post by blerta »

Interesting , hope they mean smart phone , as a lot of people do not rent apple stuff. http://www.newshub.co.nz/nznews/kiwi-in ... 2016090819
Wilson Whineray, All Black captain was asked for his opinion following their defeat to an English counties team.

He replied, "Tonight the sun will go down and tomorrow it will rise again."
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

blerta wrote:Interesting , hope they mean smart phone , as a lot of people do not rent apple stuff. http://www.newshub.co.nz/nznews/kiwi-in ... 2016090819
That's a clever bit of kit Albert. >EW

Mind you NZers eh? He will "score $60,000". Speak English you antipodean numpties. :banghead: