Leinster 16/17

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Leinster 16/17

Post by Russ »

Dave wrote:The Lions have destroyed the league finales. Players are mentally gone. Sexton for certain. Players fault though.
Sextons head may be elsewhere. Worried about his himmy concussion I reckon

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Loki
Warrior Assassin

Post by Loki »

Exeter response was quite superb - delighted for them on a number of levels, a team I have a lot of time for. Seeing Sarries delight turn to despair at that absolute torpedo of a kick from Slade was a beaut.

The game last night was excellent; Beirne a justified MOTM and a few in red could have made a decent case along with him. Probably the best 0-80 performance I've seen from them ever, and one of the best in Pro12 history I'd wager. Excellent in essentially every aspect of the game.

Leinster - well, the wheels have come off this season quite badly for them. Listening to an awful lot of Dublin media the emphasis on blue bolters for the Lions seems to have taken the eye off doing the job in the league for sure. A number of players weren't up to the mark at all last night, though I accept the injuries certainly had a very negative effect. Perhaps a few of the young players have believed a bit too much of their own hype - I'm sure the older ones will bust them down a peg or two, but as with Sarries, I'm perfectly happy to see them take their lumps today.

On individuals -
Barclay - has been very good from at least the 6N onwards
Beirne - knew nothing of him before last night, very impressive
Liaaaam Williiaaams - a ratbag but a fine player, sadly he'll improve Sarries in terms of both his ability and their d!ckishness quotient

Carberry - talented but a lot to learn. Is he a full back? His step and spin is cute but Scaaaaaalets had him read pretty easily. He seems to get turned over a little too easily
Triggs - felt for him coming off, I do like the big man
Tracy - unconvinced so far on the few times I've seen in live and on telly
JG Park - I felt as though Leinster lost any semblance of control from the moment he came on. Wild passing, wild decision making, didn't help Sexton at all...mind, Sexton had one of the few truly ineffectual games of his excellent career
Conan - probably the best of Leinster's players. a big improvement this year and his decision to back his own ability does seem justified
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Post by Spiffsson »

rocky wrote:Baggy, the instructions given to referees are very clear.
Firstly, intention is irrelevant.
Secondly, the level of sanction depends upon how the tackled player lands. If it is on the head and/or neck, the sanction is a red card. End of story. How many times has that happened to Ulster players over the last few seasons.
Having said that, I repeat that I think Evans as unlucky because I suspect if Lee hadn't joined in, he may well have let Ringrose down safely. Also, it looked to me as though Ringrose was turning himself to be in a position to present the ball and may have contributed to the way he came to ground.
Even if that is all true, I continue to assert that the sanction was correct. It remains that he was lifted, that his torso, head and neck were below the level of his legs, and that he was dropped onto his head.
Player safety is paramount.
In this case, Baggy, Your cloak of infallibility has developed a serious tear and needs to be sent to St Nigel for mending.
I hate this stupid directive. I am not sure it's even listed in the Laws of rugby. This is refereeing to outcomes not offences. Once a lifted player is in the air it's often a matter of pure chance how he lands, no matter whether the tackler tries to guide him down or not. This means that a red/yellow card for the tackler is just down to bad/good luck and not directly related to his actions.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Loki wrote:Exeter response was quite superb - delighted for them on a number of levels, a team I have a lot of time for. Seeing Sarries delight turn to despair at that absolute torpedo of a kick from Slade was a beaut.

The game last night was excellent; Beirne a justified MOTM and a few in red could have made a decent case along with him. Probably the best 0-80 performance I've seen from them ever, and one of the best in Pro12 history I'd wager. Excellent in essentially every aspect of the game.

Leinster - well, the wheels have come off this season quite badly for them. Listening to an awful lot of Dublin media the emphasis on blue bolters for the Lions seems to have taken the eye off doing the job in the league for sure. A number of players weren't up to the mark at all last night, though I accept the injuries certainly had a very negative effect. Perhaps a few of the young players have believed a bit too much of their own hype - I'm sure the older ones will bust them down a peg or two, but as with Sarries, I'm perfectly happy to see them take their lumps today.

On individuals -
Barclay - has been very good from at least the 6N onwards
Beirne - knew nothing of him before last night, very impressive
Liaaaam Williiaaams - a ratbag but a fine player, sadly he'll improve Sarries in terms of both his ability and their d!ckishness quotient

Carberry - talented but a lot to learn. Is he a full back? His step and spin is cute but Scaaaaaalets had him read pretty easily. He seems to get turned over a little too easily
Triggs - felt for him coming off, I do like the big man
Tracy - unconvinced so far on the few times I've seen in live and on telly
JG Park - I felt as though Leinster lost any semblance of control from the moment he came on. Wild passing, wild decision making, didn't help Sexton at all...mind, Sexton had one of the few truly ineffectual games of his excellent career
Conan - probably the best of Leinster's players. a big improvement this year and his decision to back his own ability does seem justified
James Davies was MOTM. Staggering to think he can't get a game for Wales even with Tipuric and Warburton away.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Russ wrote:
Dave wrote:The Lions have destroyed the league finales. Players are mentally gone. Sexton for certain. Players fault though.
Sextons head may be elsewhere. Worried about his himmy concussion I reckon

He was limping a bit yesterday leg himmy not head himmy
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Leinster fans clearly don't care enough about the number of top AIL sides they have.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Let's face it
Leinster really missed Bobbo

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Russ wrote:Let's face it
Leinster really missed Bobbo

I hear they may fold when Bobbo retires in 20 years time with 245 Irish caps to his name and still able to jut his jaw for a photy.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Spiffsson wrote:..... This means that a red/yellow card for the tackler is just down to bad/good luck and not directly related to his actions.
I understand the point,but if the tackler doesn't lift the player, he can't drop him on his head. It was related to his actions in that by lifting him, he made it possible to drop him on his head. Rules/interpretations are intended to make a tackler take responsibility for such actions, whatever the outcome - "lucky" or "unlucky".
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Leinster played classic Ulster.. that is why they lost in the manner they did.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Spiffsson wrote:..... This means that a red/yellow card for the tackler is just down to bad/good luck and not directly related to his actions.
I understand the point,but if the tackler doesn't lift the player, he can't drop him on his head. It was related to his actions in that by lifting him, he made it possible to drop him on his head. Rules/interpretations are intended to make a tackler take responsibility for such actions, whatever the outcome - "lucky" or "unlucky".
A couple of small points Grumps.

1) if a player ducks into a tackle and this was the root cause for both Reidy and Evans, with the same idiot ref, how can he legally be stopped, if you go under him you lift him, if not you high tackle, either way it appears you are doomed. Maybe best to let him go past and score, eh?

2) Ringpiece was not dropped on his head, indeed Evans never released him on the way down and if you look at the footage when the card was shown he says to Mitrea that he tried to bring him down safely. You know what ? That is exactly what he tried to do. To call it a tip tackle is a nonsense.

Amen (it being Sunday and all)
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Post by Spiffsson »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Yes - I do take your point. But then it should be a red card for all lifting, whether he falls on his head or his arrse, since the offence is exactly the same but only the chance outcome different.
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

Gavin Cummiskey makes the point in the Times this morning that Leinster have now gone three seasons without a trophy.
A fourth such season with the talent and resources available to the province is simply unacceptable. Cullen and Lancaster have recently received two year contracts which look premature now.
There can be no question of any forgiveness if Friday night's performance is repeated at the end of next season.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Dublin4 wrote:Gavin Cummiskey makes the point in the Times this morning that Leinster have now gone three seasons without a trophy.
A fourth such season with the talent and resources available to the province is simply unacceptable. Cullen and Lancaster have recently received two year contracts which look premature now.
There can be no question of any forgiveness if Friday night's performance is repeated at the end of next season.
D4, I suppose you & Gavin were equally outraged when Deccie got his new contract before the 2011 RWC?

Funny, Lancaster was lauded as revitalising the Leinster team a few short months ago, now he's a waste of space with a contract he should never have had. Tell me D4, do you only sing when you're winning? I suggest you need to look more closely at some of the big time Jessies who performed like drains.

As for Cullen, he's maybe not great but he is indispensable, FFFS if he left who would teach the ladies how to cheat properly? I suppose you could get him in to do the cheating on a consultancy basis. Old Big Ears made Rutchie look like an amateur rascal, the skilful way he made Quinnie miss a Lions tour, eh?

Gobshite ... him, not you. >EW
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Dublin4 wrote:Gavin Cummiskey makes the point in the Times this morning that Leinster have now gone three seasons without a trophy.
Too many aging internationals holding young talent back