Leinster 16/17

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: Leinster 16/17

Post by rocky »

I would like to hear from some actual referees about the Ringrose incident. I thought he immediately tried to get up but was told to stay down. But I don't think it mattered. I think the officials had no choice once he came down onto his head but to issue the red card. Sure, Evans was unlucky in a sense but when you lift a player off the ground, you are asking for a big sanction.
I didn't think Mitrea did Leinster any favours and his reffing of the scrums was nonsensical. Anyway, the (far) better team won and will give either Munster or the Os a lot of trouble in the final. I'm very impressed by their coaching team.
Finally, my question is how long Beirne has left on his contract and why aren't Ulster talking to him, in any case?
Bo***cks to Brexit
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Rooster wrote:
thecrouch wrote:By the way lads it looks like Leinster's backup 9 is even worse than ours.

Yer man Park is absolutely brutal, makes Paul Marshall look like Aaron Smith.
What is worse is he is a project player who is now blocking a spot for someone else to bring in a decent project 9, he was never rated that good even when they got him, the cynic in me says he was a deliberate block on Ruan staying or us picking up a project 9
That is exactly what did happen. I'm sure Leinster were tipped off about Ruan not getting a contract renewal and then just picked the first nine available.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

rocky wrote:I would like to hear from some actual referees about the Ringrose incident. I thought he immediately tried to get up but was told to stay down. But I don't think it mattered. I think the officials had no choice once he came down onto his head but to issue the red card. Sure, Evans was unlucky in a sense but when you lift a player off the ground, you are asking for a big sanction.
I didn't think Mitrea did Leinster any favours and his reffing of the scrums was nonsensical. Anyway, the (far) better team won and will give either Munster or the Os a lot of trouble in the final. I'm very impressed by their coaching team.
Finally, my question is how long Beirne has left on his contract and why aren't Ulster talking to him, in any case?
Rocky, you and I don't often disagree entirely, but they had every choice, from purely accidental, to dangerous but not deliberate and go yellow and to the letter of the law, yes a red card.

Here is how the Taffies saw it and I think they are being entirely fair which is not always the case.https://twitter.com/BBCScrumV/status/865652997207900161.

Evans is incredibly unlucky:

- how do you get under a ducking player to tackle him (think Reidy in Parc-y-Empy) so that you don't tackle him high, without lifting him? I submit to the class that if you get under him you must to a degree lift him.

- two other factors, 1) prop also tackles him & swings him round 2) Ringpiece correctly tries to twist round to present the ball.

- that gives the perfect storm of one player lifting in so far as it was his only way to tackle, then both the prop & the ball carrier twisting & none of the three are in control of what happens next.

- Ringpieces head does hit the ground first, but he is neither dropped nor driven downwards and my mathematical genius tells me that if you draw a line along spine to neck, he hits the ground at an angle of 29.87 degrees from the horizontal (give or take 0.5 degrees), in effect grazing the surface rather than banging it.

Conclusion, it was one of those unfortunate incidents entirely outside of the control of the carded player, i.e. an accident. At the very worst a yellow of what is described as "wreckless", no malice aforethought whatsoever.

Mitrea who, from some early promise, is becoming one of the refs you just don't want in your games, could have given an undeserving win to the hated Mexicans, much credit to Scaaaaaaaaaaaaalets for overcoming Homer Mitrea and his Boys in Blue.

I'm prepared to consider any reasoned arguments on the above assessment. Big of me, eh? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last thought? The potential for successive rank outsiders to be champions, Connacht followed by Scaaalets. Maybe another set of perpetual losers might surprise the league next year. :roll: :roll: :roll:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Bernie has one more season on his contract. I'd be very disappointed if Ulster aren't already trying to sign him.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

damianmcr wrote:Bernie has one more season on his contract. I'd be very disappointed if Ulster aren't already trying to sign him.

If Scaaaaaaalets become champions, he'd have to think hard about leaving unless he fancies his chances of international rugby & needs somewhere in Ireland.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

On Tadgh Beirne I found this from Girvan Dempsey: Tadhg Beirne has gone over there from our system and done really well. He's been getting a regular start.

"He's worked really hard. He was unfortunate with injuries, he was just plagued with them. Sometimes players just need a bit of luck, a bit of an injury-free run. And that's what he's got. He's done exceptionally well.

I wonder in a year or three will we be saying that about Marcell and will somebody else be saying it about Arno Botha?
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

Baggy, the instructions given to referees are very clear.
Firstly, intention is irrelevant.
Secondly, the level of sanction depends upon how the tackled player lands. If it is on the head and/or neck, the sanction is a red card. End of story. How many times has that happened to Ulster players over the last few seasons.
Having said that, I repeat that I think Evans as unlucky because I suspect if Lee hadn't joined in, he may well have let Ringrose down safely. Also, it looked to me as though Ringrose was turning himself to be in a position to present the ball and may have contributed to the way he came to ground.
Even if that is all true, I continue to assert that the sanction was correct. It remains that he was lifted, that his torso, head and neck were below the level of his legs, and that he was dropped onto his head.
Player safety is paramount.
In this case, Baggy, Your cloak of infallibility has developed a serious tear and needs to be sent to St Nigel for mending.
Bo***cks to Brexit
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Whilst all of that, my cloak apart, is true, I prepared for your response by indicating that the red card was one of 3 real possibilities. Like the Taffy commentator I agree it was a call to the letter of the law, however, let's be clear, St.Nige would have used his common sense and would almost certainly have gone yellow, and that is the most it deserved.

Furthermore yes they claim there is no relevance to intent or otherwise but very very clearly refs absolutely make decisions that take that into account.

Finally, they also take outcomes into account and being as kind to Ringpiece as possible, that was seriously milked, I'd call it professionally milked and there was damn all wrong with him. if you watched that video to the end, you will see the old fashioned look Evans gave him on the way off, not much doubt what he thought of the quality of Ringpiece's acting.

Still and all, when done and dusted the feckin' Mexicans were slaughtered on their own lawn, up their holes each and every one of them. :lol:
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
damianmcr wrote:Bernie has one more season on his contract. I'd be very disappointed if Ulster aren't already trying to sign him.

If Scaaaaaaalets become champions, he'd have to think hard about leaving unless he fancies his chances of international rugby & needs somewhere in Ireland.
I'm sure they are trying but so will Leinster and Munster. Such is the lack of IQ second rows.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

It was a dive from Ringrose. They should yellow card divers. Sexton should have been yellowed for his arm in the face to G Davies minutes before. Mitrea tried his best for them but Leinster were complete mince.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Have just watched the incident on YouTube

It's clearly play attacking from Gazza. A nothing challenge that Gazza got himself totally in the wrong position for

He then tries to get up and is told by VDF to stay down

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Some fine results & potential results this weekend, Mexico lights put out and currently Chiefs are all over Sarrybastards. Bellends were 6-0 up and now hanging on at 13-6 down. Long way to go but Exeter are mashing their scrum and look like winning.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

The Lions have destroyed the league finales. Players are mentally gone. Sexton for certain. Players fault though.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Dave wrote:The Lions have destroyed the league finales. Players are mentally gone. Sexton for certain. Players fault though.
From the few clips I've seen, Sexton is nowhere near being able to compete with Farrell to start 10, he's had an injury and poor form mix of a season. It would be excellent to see the AB's removing Farrell's head from his body.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Bellends take the lead with 5 minutes left, all over? Exeter get penalty in their own half, Slade boots it 65 metres just outside the 5m line & they score from the lineout, conversion miss but feck it, Barnes blows full time. Bellends shattered.

That's two sets of utter geebags beaten, A Carlsberg of a weekend. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :lol: :lol: :lol: