Connacht 16/17

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Connacht 16/17

Post by Neill_M »

New Home Jersey

Training Jersey

Both look decent :D
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Re: Connacht 16/17

Post by Spiffsson »

I suppose they look OK - I have seem more garish. But this constant changing of jerseys is just a cynical money-making gimmick.
You can't beat the old traditional, plain, one-colour jerseys ,preferably with white collars and long sleeves.
(On a practical note - long sleeves are handy for catching wet balls, avoiding grass burns on yer elbows and keeping yer arms warm).
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Spiffsson wrote:I suppose they look OK - I have seem more garish. But this constant changing of jerseys is just a cynical money-making gimmick.
You can't beat the old traditional, plain, one-colour jerseys ,preferably with white collars and long sleeves.
(On a practical note - long sleeves are handy for catching wet balls, avoiding grass burns on yer elbows and keeping yer arms warm).
Money needs to be made I guess. If bakebookers want to get every indigo training top then let them. I haven't bought a shirt for a few years.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Spiffsson wrote:I suppose they look OK - I have seem more garish. But this constant changing of jerseys is just a cynical money-making gimmick.
... and wiping snatters on :thumleft:

Thought they might have incorporated a reference to their status as 2015-16 Pro12 Champions.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

I don't like it... :duck:
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Is the green one green? Or is it blue on the back like previous years?

As you probably guessed, I'm a bit old-school with these things at the best of times, but thon shirts that are one colour when your in attack and are another when defending do my feckin napper.
Hoops, quarters - fine; even shoulders or excessive trim I can live with, but backs and fronts are a real 'back & front' imho.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

For BR :D :

Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Tramp stamp
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Post by Spiffsson »

On another sartorial note - why did players stop tucking their jerseys into their shorts?
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

big mervyn wrote:
... and wiping snatters on :thumleft:

Thought they might have incorporated a reference to their status as 2015-16 Pro12 Champions.
One star?; Ladybois love to show off their three fs... its like teacher stuck them on for bringing homework in on time... :roll:
Btw, old skule sleeves were also useful for abraiding sand and muck into the brows, eyes and face of your opposing prop by rubbing them when binding or mauling. Worse if they had a lot of Vaz on.. :thumleft: Yon old wet heavy cotton was like sandpaper, sadly on your own shoulders too... :shock:
Exterminate all rational thought
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Post by mid ulster maestro »

Got the scars to prove that CIman. Spiffy, I think it is because you spent more time tucking your shirt back into your shorts than actually playing.
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

No. I would most definitely eschew the stars - a crass and tacky steal from Wendyball.
Pro12 Winners 2015/16 would be acceptable on the left breast, for this season. Might sell a few more jerseys.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Post by Spiffsson »

mid ulster maestro wrote:Got the scars to prove that CIman. Spiffy, I think it is because you spent more time tucking your shirt back into your shorts than actually playing.
Shirts were extremely baggy in thon days (one size fits all) and many's the player was caught by a flapping shirt tail when he thought he was clean through. There must have been significant wind resistance too - yer shirt was like a giant sail. If you look at old videos of BOD's hat trick against France in Paris, it's amazing he wasn't blown backwards.
Why haven't players moved to skin tight, onepiece outfits without separate shirts/shorts? The kind of togs toddlers wear.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

big mervyn wrote:No. I would most definitely eschew the stars - a crass and tacky steal from Wendyball.
Twas suggested a few years ago that Ulster would have a star on the shirt but Davy humph vetoed it on the grounds that:

1) it was so long ago that we won our only Euro trophy that it was no longer relevant, and
2) (because of 1), it was too much like looking backwards to past glories than looking forward to future success.

A bit of feeling that it wasn't these players that had earned the one star and it might even become almost a burden to wear it.

I hope I have explained that alright, but hopefully you get the drift.

Now I say that big mervyn is David Humphreys and I claim :lol: my prize
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
big mervyn wrote:No. I would most definitely eschew the stars - a crass and tacky steal from Wendyball.
Twas suggested a few years ago that Ulster would have a star on the shirt but Davy humph vetoed it on the grounds that:

1) it was so long ago that we won our only Euro trophy that it was no longer relevant, and
2) (because of 1), it was too much like looking backwards to past glories than looking forward to future success.

A bit of feeling that it wasn't these players that had earned the one star and it might even become almost a burden to wear it.

I hope I have explained that alright, but hopefully you get the drift.

Now I say that big mervyn is David Humphreys and I claim :lol: my prize
I used to bear a passing resemblance to Adam Larkin (so much so, that when I showed my young daughter the team photo she thought it was me) , but Dr Humph is a bit of a stretch :lol:
Big Neville Southall