Return of the Cowboy

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Return of the Cowboy

Post by Kofi Annan »

Another Kiwi may be in line to lead the Canadian national men’s rugby team.

According to a report which surfaced Tuesday evening Pacific Time from the New Zealand Herald (Wednesday morning Down Under), Mark Anscombe, who coached the Auckland ITM Cup team and most recently Irish province Ulster, is at least finalist for the vacant senior men’s head coach position, and may even have been offered the job.

After Kieran Crowley resigned two months ago, senior women’s head coach Francois Ratier led the men’s team through the Americas Rugby Championship, while Jim Dixon, Rugby Canada’s general manager of operations and performance, led a global search for a permanent replacement.

Several dozen coaches applied for the job and the candidate pool was recently narrowed to a short list.

In an emailed statement, Dixon declined to make specific comment on the Anscombe report: “We have no comment on particular rumours. We continue to follow a thorough process to select & hire the best candidate possible for Rugby Canada’s NSM15’s program. Once our NSM15’s Head Coach is confirmed, Rugby Canada will make an appropriate announcement.”

Anscombe’s tenure at the helm of Ulster saw him play in two Pro12 finals but never winning, as well making the Heineken Cup quarters twice but losing both years to English club Saracens.

He left Ulster in the summer of 2014 in somewhat acrimonious circumstances. Towards the end of the 2014 season, his contract was renewed through July 2015, but he quit at the end of June 2014, weeks after director of rugby David Humphreys departed for a job with English club Gloucester. Some reports at the time cited a falling out with senior players, while his son Gareth, who plays for Wales, called Ulster’s senior management “clowns.”

In the middle of all this, Irish winger Tommy Bowe stood up for the coach. According to WalesOnline, “I enjoyed working under Mark. He had a no-nonsense attitude to things, which I think is very good. A guy who comes in and tells the players straight what he thinks is what is needed in the professional game,” Bowe said.

“Over the last couple of years he’s been a breath of fresh air. It is unfortunate, I was looking forward to working with him again this year but I think it’s just the way things have panned out.”

Another player, Tom Court, said later that summer Anscombe suffered from senior players in Ireland comparing every coach with national team coach Joe Schmidt. “Everyone compared to him is going to come off second best,” he said.

Young Paddy Jackson also said he had a good relationship with the coach, believing the pressure for the change “came from a bit higher up.”

Since resigning from Ulster, Anscombe has been linked to coaching jobs with the Cardiff Blues (where his son plays) and Benetton Treviso, which hired Crowley away from Rugby Canada.
Interesting reading
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Re: Return of the Cowboy

Post by Kofi Annan »

Following up on rumors emanating from Rugby Canada HQ in Victoria, the New Zealand Herald is now reporting that Mark Anscombe has been offered the job of National Senior Men’s Head Coach, though the deal has yet to be finalised with financial terms and official start date to be confirmed prior to the June test series. The Auckland, New Zealand, native is understood to have been short-listed for the position along with Australian coach Tim Lane and another unnamed New Zealander.

Anscombe, 56, was last seen in a major coaching role with Irish province Ulster, who he departed ahead of the 2014-15 season after spending two seasons with the Guinness Pro 12 side. Prior to that he was at the helm of Auckland’s provincial side for four seasons while also leading New Zealand’s u20 side to a world title in 2011. His professional coaching career began with English club Moseley in 1996, where his charges would include former Canadian captain Al Charron.

If confirmed, Anscombe would be the permanent replacement for departed coach Kieran Crowley, who resigned in January following a disappointing World Cup campaign. National Senior Women’s Head Coach François Ratier led the side in an interim capacity during the Americas Rugby Championship, where Canada would finish in third place with a 3-2 record. Crowley has since moved to Italy where he will coach Benetton Treviso in the 2016-17 Guinness Pro 12 season.
I wonder what the bars are like in Toronto,
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Toronto has a spectacular waterfront
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Plenty of swimming opportunities in Canada
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Worldwide search indeed, did he move to Lisburn? :shock:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Snipe Watson wrote:Plenty of swimming opportunities TO Canada
Fixed
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Worldwide search indeed, did he move to Lisburn? :shock:
Lisburn, Alberta! :thumleft:
I'm not arguing -
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

LANGFORD, BC – Today, Rugby Canada’s General Manager of Rugby Operations and Performance Jim Dixon announced that Mark Anscombe has been appointed Head Coach of Canada’s Men’s Fifteens Program, commencing May 1.

The 59-year-old New Zealander, who boasts an extensive background in international and professional rugby, takes over from the long-serving Kieran Crowley and Interim Head Coach Francois Ratier.

In 2011, as Head Coach of New Zealand’s Under-20 Team, Anscombe helped secure a fourth successive title at the IRB Junior World Championships in Italy, having previously been an Assistant for the National Under-20 side in 2008, 2009 and 2010.
"We're very excited to have Mark joining our coaching staff as we look to continue developing our Men’s Program towards qualification for the 2019 RWC in Japan," said Dixon. "Our Selection Committee went through an extensive application and interview process and there were a number of highly qualified candidates from around the world."

Anscombe was appointed Head Coach of Ulster ahead of the 2012/2013 campaign and his team started the season with an unprecedented 14 wins. In Anscombe’s first season in charge they finished top of the league, narrowly losing the final to Leinster. Before moving to Belfast, Anscombe also had a three-year spell as Head Coach of the Auckland ITM Cup side.
"Having worked with quality organizations like New Zealand’s Under-20 Team, Ulster and Auckland in the ITM Cup, Mark brings a wealth of international and professional experience to our organization. As we enhance our domestic program over the next 12-18 months and prepare for RWC2019 qualification, Mark’s experience and leadership will be vital” added Dixon. “Importantly, we feel Mark’s coaching style, playing philosophy and understanding of the environments our internationally based players compete in is a great fit for this program.”

Canada’s Men’s Team is scheduled to face Japan, Russia and Italy during their annual June International Series, with games set for June 11th in Vancouver, 18th in Calgary and 26th in Toronto.

“It’s an exciting time for Canadian Rugby. There’s some work to be done, but the foundation is in place and I look forward to moving to Canada and working with all of the players, staff, Board of Directors and Provincial Unions to continue growing and developing the sport across the country,” said Anscombe.

“Qualifying for the 2019 Rugby World Cup is in my bigger picture and hugely important for Canadian Rugby, but the key for any team, especially at this level, is developing depth and that’s going to be a big focus of mine moving forward.”

For the first-time ever, Canada’s Men’s Fifteens Team will have a centralized, full-time program beginning in August at the Canadian Rugby Centre of Excellence in Langford, BC. Over 20 athletes will have access to a high-performance daily training environment, world-class coaching, sport science and medical facilities throughout the year to prepare for international competition.

“Although I’m still learning more about the program, having our top domestic athletes centralized in Langford starting in August will allow us to bring players together in a high-performance environment to build their skill levels, develop younger players and prepare for our key international fixtures,” added Anscombe.

“On behalf of Rugby Canada’s Board of Directors, I would like to welcome Mark to the organization and wish him all the best as he begins the process of securing Canada’s place at the 2019 Rugby World Cup in Japan,” said Pat Aldous, Chairman of Rugby Canada’s Board of Directors.

At this time, Anscombe’s commencement is subject to Canadian Immigration requirements and both Anscombe and Rugby Canada are working with the Canadian Immigration Department to meet the requirements for him to be able to begin employment.

Qualification for the 2019 Rugby World Cup will take place in 2017, with details to be announced.

Tickets for Canada’s upcoming international can be purchased at http://events.rugbycanada.ca.

Media Conference Call:

Media are able to speak with Mark Anscombe during a Media conference call on:

Tuesday, March 29th
2:30pm ET/11:30am PT
Call-in Number: Canada: 1 888 350 3035
Conference Room #: 5289320
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Well, I suppose good luck to him, getting rid of him pleased me at the time, but it hasn't exactly been the answer to our prayers
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Well, I suppose good luck to him, getting rid of him pleased me at the time, but it hasn't exactly been the answer to our prayers
Probably work out the same for us when YOU move to Spain! :lol:
I'm not arguing -
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Well, I suppose good luck to him, getting rid of him pleased me at the time, but it hasn't exactly been the answer to our prayers
Him leaving was grand. The quality of his replacement wasn't.
Boutye
Initiate

Post by Boutye »

Knee jerk , was a 6 out of 10 man, ...can do better lad.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Is this not old news? I either read about it several weeks ago or had a dream!
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best