Whitten/Steenson

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Whitten/Steenson

Post by Spiffsson »

Just watched Tigers/Exeter. Ian Whitten continues his good form. He ran hard and straight, but also showed good footwork and decent enough gas, running in a try from some distance out. He defends well too. He's a better looking all-round 13 than Cave at the moment. Pity we ever let him go, but he has done well in England and fair play to him.

Steenson, despite the concerns of some about his physicality, is a very useful fly half and a lovely distributor. Great goal kicker too. Would love to have him here as Paddy's backup/real challenger for the starting slot.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Re: Whitten/Steenson

Post by Kofi Annan »

And
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Get a green shirt in them
Rovi Snave
Warrior

Post by Rovi Snave »

Never mind Steenson - I would take Ian McKinley as back up to Jackson after his second half performance on Friday :salut:
Finished
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Spiffsson wrote:Just watched Tigers/Exeter. Ian Whitten continues his good form. He ran hard and straight, but also showed good footwork and decent enough gas, running in a try from some distance out. He defends well too. He's a better looking all-round 13 than Cave at the moment. Pity we ever let him go, but he has done well in England and fair play to him.

Steenson, despite the concerns of some about his physicality, is a very useful fly half and a lovely distributor. Great goal kicker too. Would love to have him here as Paddy's backup/real challenger for the starting slot.
Do you know if he's ill too Spiffer? Do you know do Exeter ask players to play when they are not fit to play? Do you know anything about the medics at Sandy Park? Do you know if he would have run the line that Cave did that resulted in us getting that extra point on Friday night?

Right now it appears the other Ulsterman's grass is considerably greener, doubtless we should not have "allowed" PaddyMac to leave either, though interestingly in his case, he pleaded with Dr Humphreys, his current DOR, to be retained at Ulster on a pay for play basis (so I am reliably informed) but was told "no thanks".

And how can we possibly justify "ALLOWING" Scholes to go to Edinburgh?
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Kofi Annan wrote:And
Oh if only I'd read this before posting. :lol: :lol: :lol:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

P has 3 caps
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Russ wrote:P has 3 caps
"p has 3 caps" is what you should have said Russ :thumleft:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Spiffsson wrote: Steenson, despite the concerns of some about his physicality, is a very useful fly half and a lovely distributor. Great goal kicker too. Would love to have him here as Paddy's backup/real challenger for the starting slot.
I've a lot of time for Steenson. Fine player, and that's why I doubt that he'd even think of coming back to be Paddy's No2. If Paddy isn't even going to be away for the 6N, when would Steenson get any sort of extended run? Why leave a regular spot in the English Premiership (sorry, can't bring myself to call it THE Premiership) to get the odd game here?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

For clarity, it is more likely that Steenson will be capped for England than him playing for Ulster.
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Post by Spiffsson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Spiffsson wrote:Just watched Tigers/Exeter. Ian Whitten continues his good form. He ran hard and straight, but also showed good footwork and decent enough gas, running in a try from some distance out. He defends well too. He's a better looking all-round 13 than Cave at the moment. Pity we ever let him go, but he has done well in England and fair play to him.

Do you know if he's ill too Spiffer? Do you know do Exeter ask players to play when they are not fit to play? Do you know anything about the medics at Sandy Park? Do you know if he would have run the line that Cave did that resulted in us getting that extra point on Friday night?

Right now it appears the other Ulsterman's grass is considerably greener, doubtless we should not have "allowed" PaddyMac to leave either, though interestingly in his case, he pleaded with Dr Humphreys, his current DOR, to be retained at Ulster on a pay for play basis (so I am reliably informed) but was told "no thanks".

No I don't know any of that. But if Cave is truly sick he should not be playing and the Ulster management deserves a rocket up the hole if this is the case. I think you may have been quite critical of his performance in the previous game yourself, but can't be arrsed to read back.

My post was just a simple acknowledgement of a couple of Ulster lads doing well in another League, which I am pleased to see. Perhaps you are not interested or have not watched them play.

The term "let him go" does not mean much, you could substitute "lost him" , "traded him" or whatever other synyax variant that you like. I think you know what I was getting at.

As for the Scholes move - I do not know what kinds of offers or inducements may have been made to keep him here. Just sorry to lose him. He has a lot of potential and is well ahead of Stockdale. Good luck to him. I hope he does well in Scotland.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Spiffsson wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:

No I don't know any of that. But if Cave is truly sick he should not be playing and the Ulster management deserves a rocket up the hole if this is the case. I think you may have been quite critical of his performance in the previous game yourself, but can't be arrsed to read back.

My post was just a simple acknowledgement of a couple of Ulster lads doing well in another League, which I am pleased to see. Perhaps you are not interested or have not watched them play.

The term "let him go" does not mean much, you could substitute "lost him" , "traded him" or whatever other synyax variant that you like. I think you know what I was getting at.

As for the Scholes move - I do not know what kinds of offers or inducements may have been made to keep him here. Just sorry to lose him. He has a lot of potential and is well ahead of Stockdale. Good luck to him. I hope he does well in Scotland.

In the Scarlets game I said I was astonished that he missed more tackles than he normally does in a season, I then discovered he has not been well & I was astonished that he was asked to be part of the squad for Cardiff. Sod's Law required that the worse would happen and rather than sit on the bench and maybe do 15/20 if needed he played 74 minutes.

I've since discovered something more but that is not something for me to discuss on his forum. However you are right, he shouldn't be playing.

I did indeed know what you were talking about and no I don't watch the Premiership, even when I had access to it I didn't watch it. Whitten & Steenson are dead to me, I don't expect either will ever play for Ulster again. McAllister could be a different story, I'll remain interested in him.

Scholes ???? I'd like him back if his form this season continues and develops, but if we will or not is another story. In our favour I doubt Embra are paying him a kings ransom, nor do I think they could or would compete in financial terms if Ulster looked to bring him back in a couple of years. Who knows, maybe Stockdale will have become legendDerry by that time. >EW
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

Unread postby Spiffsson » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:21 pm

Just watched Tigers/Exeter. Ian Whitten continues his good form. He ran hard and straight, but also showed good footwork and decent enough gas, running in a try from some distance out. He defends well too. He's a better looking all-round 13 than Cave at the moment. Pity we ever let him go, but he has done well in England and fair play to him.
He is a decent player no doubt about it, predominantly at 12 however and has only been shunted out to 13 the last few games because Henry Slade is unavailable. He has been second choice to that young guy Sam Hill for the most of the season in his regular position.

For me, Caves support play, his rugby brain and the way he controls things and takes the heat of PJ are his main attributes, he may not have the gas or strength of Whitten, he is certainly (when not sick :shock: ) the better player.

As for this... Sorry its you again Spiff :lol: :lol: :lol:
by Spiffsson » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:02 pm

I am sick of seeing Scholes > Stockdale on here and other sites. Its completely ridiculous to compare the two. For starters, Scholes is three years older, he has come through the academy and is now a full time professional, Stockdale is a 19 year old student who trains part time.

Stockdale is also only getting a few £1000 a year as a bursary, Scholes requires a contract and a full time salary to support himself.

Young Stockdale obviously has bags of potential, has been pulled from the Irish U19 squad and given a chance with the first team, he hasnt done anything remarkable, but has certainly not let us down.

Scholes, obviously a good player, but people seem to be getting on like we've just lost a world class player, hes good, he also has stacks of potential but as yet is hardly a prolific try scorer.

Over the last few seasons we have got rid of/let go from the backs, McCrea, Seymour, Gaston, McIlwaine, Cochrane, McKinney, Porter, NOC, Heaney and lets face it, none of them bar maybe Seymour have been any kind of loss, maybe our coaching team arent as stupid as everyone seems to think when it come to releasing young players.

Rant over :duck:
Mary had a little lamb . . .
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Once a Knight wrote:Peeps think that it's all about money and to an extent money is important. The difficulty that I keep telling people is more to do with accommodating young players ambitions. Once they've been to the big show that's where they want to play. It's hard to get them to be happy playing for Hinch, Ballymena, Dungtown etc etc when they've played against Toulouse in the SDC. I am told, and believe, that Scholes has been told he will be a starter next year. That guarantee of playing time cannot be made at Ulster.

When people talk about "allowing" people to go I do tend to roll my eyes a little - you offer what you can but if there's a better offer then they go. There's no allowing about it - slavery was banned a while back. :lol:
Point of order Knighty, Dungtown RFC are a proud and ambitious club, I myself am a member and the boys are happy at their level,
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

fuzzylogic wrote:
Unread postby Spiffsson » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:21 pm

He is a decent player no doubt about it, predominantly at 12 however and has only been shunted out to 13 the last few games because Henry Slade is unavailable. He has been second choice to that young guy Sam Hill for the most of the season in his regular position.

For me, Caves support play, his rugby brain and the way he controls things and takes the heat of PJ are his main attributes, he may not have the gas or strength of Whitten, he is certainly (when not sick :shock: ) the better player.

As for this... Sorry its you again Spiff :lol: :lol: :lol:
by Spiffsson » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:02 pm

I am sick of seeing Scholes > Stockdale on here and other sites. Its completely ridiculous to compare the two. For starters, Scholes is three years older, he has come through the academy and is now a full time professional, Stockdale is a 19 year old student who trains part time.

Stockdale is also only getting a few £1000 a year as a bursary, Scholes requires a contract and a full time salary to support himself.

Young Stockdale obviously has bags of potential, has been pulled from the Irish U19 squad and given a chance with the first team, he hasnt done anything remarkable, but has certainly not let us down.

Scholes, obviously a good player, but people seem to be getting on like we've just lost a world class player, hes good, he also has stacks of potential but as yet is hardly a prolific try scorer.

Over the last few seasons we have got rid of/let go from the backs, McCrea, Seymour, Gaston, McIlwaine, Cochrane, McKinney, Porter, NOC, Heaney and lets face it, none of them bar maybe Seymour have been any kind of loss, maybe our coaching team arent as stupid as everyone seems to think when it come to releasing young players.

Rant over :duck:
May I congratulate you on a post of profound fecundity - not something, I am sure we can agree, that occurs here with any regularity. My own pish has been boiled.

I would say however that Spiffer is an unlikely & unfortunate target for our "Oh FFS I'm peeved" spleen venting. Sorry Spiffer, just the wrong place at the wrong time, random nature of the universe type of thing.

As for His Grace, I've blurred vision & one of my less good headaches so cannot find it in me to check previous posts, so I'll just say that if it's me you are referring to on the money issue, I do agree with you about what is at the heart of Scholes in particular moving away. My reference to the parsimonious Scots & the ease with which he might be reengaged is simply that it would not be an issue, should Ulster decide they want him back AND he feels that he will have a part to play here, more than likely that being dependent on the effective demise of T Bowe and maybe the GLU forebye .