New owner for Gloucester

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

New owner for Gloucester

Post by Rooster »

Gloucester have revealed that former vice chairman Martin St Quinton is the club’s new owner after he paid a reported £12 million for 60 per cent of the shares.

St Quinton, who founded private office equipment firm The Saint Group in 1980 before selling it to Danka PLC in 1993, founding Azzurri Communications in 2000 and growing that into a company that employs 700 staff and turns over £150 million, has owned the other 40 per cent of the shares since 2008.

The £12 million fee to purchase the remaining 60 per cent of the shares from the Walkinshaw family means the club is valued at £20 million.

Ryan Walkinshaw asked Cavendish Corporate Finance to conduct a strategic review of the Cherry and Whites last year and it was reported that the club had been put up for sale at £25 million.

St Quinton’s takeover may have cost a little less than that asking price but a club statement said that it “brings to an end a period of uncertainty” and the new owner paid tribute to the Walkinshaw family’s ownership before expressing his excitement at the club’s potential.

“I think it's fair to say that the club wouldn't be where it is today were it not for the involvement of the Walkinshaw family, firstly Tom who took over the club back in 1997 and also Ryan who took over from his father in late 2010,” he said.

“Were it not for their commitment, vision, business acumen and, of course, their love of rugby, then the Gloucester Rugby story may have taken a completely different turn. On behalf of everyone connected with the club, I'd like to extend my thanks to the whole Walkinshaw family for their contribution.

“I now believe that we are on the verge of an exciting new era for the club.

“Gloucester Rugby is a club that is moving in the right direction. We are in the privileged position of owning our own ground, have magnificent training facilities, our coaching set up and playing squad are both first class and we have the best supporters in the country.

“The challenge now is for us to realise our undoubted potential and regain our position at the forefront of the club game, and I'll be working very closely with Stephen Vaughan and David Humphreys to ensure that Gloucester Rugby achieves that goal.

“A lot of hard work lies ahead, but I can assure Gloucester Rugby supporters that we will be doing everything in our power to deliver a team and a club that we can all be proud of.”

As well as founding businesses in both office equipment and mobile communications, St Quinton was chairman of the fundraising group that raised £50 million for the recent Cheltenham Racecourse redevelopment that culminated in the opening of the new Grandstand in November 2015.

St Quinton, who is a former captain of the Pocklington School first XV and also played for Durham University, has also served on the board of Hull City FC and Epsom Downs Racecourse and will now become Gloucester chairman.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: New owner for Gloucester

Post by BR »

Rooster wrote:
Gloucester have revealed that former vice chairman Martin St Quinton is the club’s new owner after he paid a reported £12 million for 60 per cent of the shares.

St Quinton, who founded private office equipment firm The Saint Group in 1980 before selling it to Danka PLC in 1993, founding Azzurri Communications in 2000 and growing that into a company that employs 700 staff and turns over £150 million, has owned the other 40 per cent of the shares since 2008.

The £12 million fee to purchase the remaining 60 per cent of the shares from the Walkinshaw family means the club is valued at £20 million.

Ryan Walkinshaw asked Cavendish Corporate Finance to conduct a strategic review of the Cherry and Whites last year and it was reported that the club had been put up for sale at £25 million.

St Quinton’s takeover may have cost a little less than that asking price but a club statement said that it “brings to an end a period of uncertainty” and the new owner paid tribute to the Walkinshaw family’s ownership before expressing his excitement at the club’s potential.

“I think it's fair to say that the club wouldn't be where it is today were it not for the involvement of the Walkinshaw family, firstly Tom who took over the club back in 1997 and also Ryan who took over from his father in late 2010,” he said.

“Were it not for their commitment, vision, business acumen and, of course, their love of rugby, then the Gloucester Rugby story may have taken a completely different turn. On behalf of everyone connected with the club, I'd like to extend my thanks to the whole Walkinshaw family for their contribution.

“I now believe that we are on the verge of an exciting new era for the club.

“Gloucester Rugby is a club that is moving in the right direction. We are in the privileged position of owning our own ground, have magnificent training facilities, our coaching set up and playing squad are both first class and we have the best supporters in the country.

“The challenge now is for us to realise our undoubted potential and regain our position at the forefront of the club game, and I'll be working very closely with Stephen Vaughan and David Humphreys to ensure that Gloucester Rugby achieves that goal.

“A lot of hard work lies ahead, but I can assure Gloucester Rugby supporters that we will be doing everything in our power to deliver a team and a club that we can all be proud of.”

As well as founding businesses in both office equipment and mobile communications, St Quinton was chairman of the fundraising group that raised £50 million for the recent Cheltenham Racecourse redevelopment that culminated in the opening of the new Grandstand in November 2015.

St Quinton, who is a former captain of the Pocklington School first XV and also played for Durham University, has also served on the board of Hull City FC and Epsom Downs Racecourse and will now become Gloucester chairman.
I hate every part of you.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
GLENN CORNICK
Squire

Post by GLENN CORNICK »

St Quinton eh?

The Anglo-Norman Conquest continues.

Research shows that the descendants of people who in 1858 had "rich" surnames such as Mandeville, Percy and Darcy, indicating they were descended from the French nobility, are still substantially wealthier in 2011 than those with traditionally "poor" or artisanal surnames.

Drawing on data culled from official records that go back as far as the Domesday Book as well as university admissions and probate archives, Gregory Clark, a professor of economics at the University of California, has tracked what became of people whose surnames indicated their ancestors had come from either the aristocratic or artisanal classes.

There you go Humps, your new Norman Overlord, tug yer forelock varlet!
Beware PC Filth of the Thought Police.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

The pressure already on Humphs, wonder will we ever see him back at Ulster when Fit steps down?
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Paddy on the bench only?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
GLENN CORNICK
Squire

Post by GLENN CORNICK »

"The bottom line is it's not acceptable when you lead 31-7 at home, and then lose the game."

Suck it up Humps and Afoa! :cheers:
Beware PC Filth of the Thought Police.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Lol
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

GLENN CORNICK wrote:
Who? Never heard of them.........
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Snipe Watson wrote:
GLENN CORNICK wrote:
You could try googling that .... or maybe not :lol:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

big mervyn wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
GLENN CORNICK wrote:
You could try googling that .... or maybe not :lol:
Just on the off chance I googled "selfserving Chube" and found this: Image
Joe Schmo
Chancellor to the King

Post by Joe Schmo »

I've watched Afoa in his last two games for Gloucester and I have to say he really mustn't have liked it at Ulster. Some work rate for a prop.
Joe Schmo
Chancellor to the King

Post by Joe Schmo »

Plus he looks extremely fit.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Joe Schmo wrote:I've watched Afoa in his last two games for Gloucester and I have to say he really mustn't have liked it at Ulster. Some work rate for a prop.
Wasn't him who didn't like it.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Joe Schmo
Chancellor to the King

Post by Joe Schmo »

ruckover wrote:
Joe Schmo wrote:I've watched Afoa in his last two games for Gloucester and I have to say he really mustn't have liked it at Ulster. Some work rate for a prop.
Wasn't him who didn't like it.
thats a shame because he has much more game left in him than I would have thought when he left here. Having said that, I've put a scud in him, Worcester have just buckled the Gloucester front row for the second time in a few minutes. Still, he looks to be trying.