Paul O'Connell

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Paul O'Connell

Post by ruckover »

Has retired from all forms of rugby on medical grounds. An Irish legend :salut:
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Paul O'Connell

Post by Rooster »

Sad way to go out of the game but he will always be a legend :salut: >TM
Former Ireland and Lions captain Paul O'Connell has been forced to retire from rugby with immediate effect.

Lock O'Connell quit international rugby after injuring a hamstring in a 2015 World Cup group game against France.

He signed a two-year contract with French side Toulon but never played for them after failing to regain fitness.

"It is with deep regret that I have decided to retire from professional rugby following medical advice," O'Connell, 36, said.

"Since sustaining the injury at the World Cup I have been fully focused on returning to fitness and starting an exciting new chapter for both myself and my family in Toulon. Unfortunately this will no longer be possible."
O'Connell, who had a long domestic career with his home province of Munster during which he won two Heienken Cups, earned 108 caps for Ireland and seven caps for the British and Irish Lions.

He captained his country 28 times and also led the Lions in three Tests.

Fellow Irish great Brian O'Driscoll said it was "really disappointing" to learn of O'Connell's retirement and that he is "simply irreplaceable".

O'Connell added: "I have been blessed to be a professional rugby player for over 14 years and to be part of Munster and Ireland teams that have experienced success.
"I have played with some of the best players to ever line out in the red of Munster and the green of Ireland and have had the privilege of captaining my country."

He thanked everyone who had supported him at Young Munster RFC, Munster Rugby, the IRFU and Lions Rugby, adding that "special thanks" must go to his wife, Emily, and to his parents, Michael and Shelagh.

"Lastly, I would like to thank everyone who has supported the teams I have been a part of," he said. "The support you have shown me is humbling and an immense source of pride for both myself and my family."
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
LegsLikeSausages
Warrior Chief

Post by LegsLikeSausages »

Enormously grateful for all he has contributed to Irish Rugby. Has created a legacy which should last generations.
:salut:
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Ligind
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Definitely my favourite non-Ulster Irish player of the professional era.

Glad I got to see him in his last club game at Ravenhill and glad it was in a Munster shirt.

Hope none of the injuries trouble him in the future .
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall