O'Shea to leave Harlequins

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

ColinM
Lord Chancellor

O'Shea to leave Harlequins

Post by ColinM »

The Harlequins director of rugby Conor O’Shea has announced he will leave the club at the end of the current Premiership campaign.

The 45-year-old has been in charge at Twickenham Stoop since 2010 and he guided Quins to their first-ever title in 2012. The former Ireland full-back has also won the European Challenge Cup and the LV Cup during his time with the club, but he revealed this season would be his last.

“I will have been very fortunate to have had the opportunity to contribute to this special club for over six years come May,” he told the club’s official website.

“I have enjoyed working with everybody at Harlequins, from the players to the staff to the supporters, having said that, the end of this season is the right time for me to move on.”
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Re: O'Shea to leave Harlequins

Post by Neill_M »

Has been linked with the Italian national job, could be a job in Limerick for him?
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Thought he'd be a candidate for Munster all right. Certainly makes more sense to bring home coaches like Jackman, O'Shea and McCall than throwing the likes of Doak, Plug & Axel in without lifebelts.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

O'Shea is one of those Director of Rugby types that doesn't put on a tracksuit and do coaching.

If he joined Munster, it would be as Foley's boss, not a replacement for Foley.
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

Maybe what Foley needs...
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Would love to see him come to Munster. He has done a great job with Harlequins. Can't see it though as he would expect to be paid and we have f-ck all money. Italy is likely for him. Leinster an outside chance.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

Shan wrote:Would love to see him come to Munster. He has done a great job with Harlequins. Can't see it though as he would expect to be paid and we have f-ck all money. Italy is likely for him. Leinster an outside chance.
From a coaching perspective the last 6 weeks or so would suggest that Plug has steadied a ship that was most definitely teetering.

Leinster are lacking quality in a couple of area's, primarily the 'row and zero pace in the back three but having been forced to some degree to play the youngsters they've unearthed a few gems in Moloney, Van Der Flier and Ringrose. Young McGrath at 9 is already a better option than Reddan IMO and they've got plenty of strength in depth in the backrow and front rows.

It would be my opinion that Plug will ride out his two year deal more comfortably than Foley has or, for that matter, Doak did for 18 months. I suppose it could be argued that the much vaunted Leinster conveyor belt of talent helped Cullen more than Munster or Ulster basket case academies did their coaches but hey ho.

I would argue that someone like O'Shea could be worth more than his weight in gold to Munster and indirectly the IRFU. Can Munster/IRFU afford not to put someone in over Foleys head?
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

I agree with you Buck Rogers. If I was in the IRFU I'd be trying everything to get Conor into Munster both to help that province and ultimately with a view to international level.

However I have my doubts they will even think of it. Even if they did Conor may have already decided to go with Italy....though I'd seriously ask why......unless he just wants to dip his toe in at international level with a limited expectation level.

I thought Cullen only had a contract to the end of this season. I'm not as well up on contracts as I could be though so I wouldn't be surprised if I am wrong on that.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Shan wrote:I agree with you Buck Rogers. If I was in the IRFU I'd be trying everything to get Conor into Munster both to help that province and ultimately with a view to international level.

However I have my doubts they will even think of it. Even if they did Conor may have already decided to go with Italy....though I'd seriously ask why......unless he just wants to dip his toe in at international level with a limited expectation level.

I thought Cullen only had a contract to the end of this season. I'm not as well up on contracts as I could be though so I wouldn't be surprised if I am wrong on that.
Bigger question is would Conor really want the Munster job ?
Or put it another way, Limerick or Lombardy ?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Rooster wrote: Bigger question is would Conor really want the Munster job ?
Well I did cover that Rooster ya snoozing árse. :D

However while he may not want Munster job I'd be fairly certain he would love to return to his birthplace, even for a short time of a couple of years. I'd select Limerick over Lombardy any day as I'm sure any Limerick-born man with a sense of wit would......despite being of the Banner one was born in Limerick and is proud of one's birth city and nowadays one's home. So away with yer anti - Limerick ballix. Nordies slagging Limerick is like a eunuch slagging a man who has occasional erectile dysfunction. :D
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Shan wrote:
I'm working from another planet these days >crazy1 >crazy1 >crazy1
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Shan wrote:

However while he may not want Munster job I'd be fairly certain he would love to return to his birthplace, even for a short time of a couple of years. I'd select Limerick over Lombardy any day as I'm sure any Limerick-born man with a sense of wit would......despite being of the Banner one was born in Limerick and is proud of one's birth city and nowadays one's home. So away with yer anti - Limerick ballix. Nordies slagging Limerick is like a eunuch slagging a man who has occasional erectile dysfunction. :D
Amusing riposte old boy :lol: .
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Shan wrote:

Amusing riposte old boy :lol: .
Don't you be giving succour to that Clare mucksavage while he's bad mouthing ur wee pravance............by the way :oman: