Munster 2014-2015

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Munster 2014-2015

Post by Shan »

Very disappointing. We quite simply were not good enough and the better team on the day won. Well done to Glasgow. They played a great game and deserved the victory.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

ruckover wrote:
solidarity wrote:Anybody decent coming in?
Tomas O'Leary (London Irish)
Jordan Coghlan (Leinster, academy)
Francis Saili (Auckland Blues)
A bit like ourselves, a son coming home, a big name All Black and not much else.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Having sorted out Ulster for next season, this morning I have been checking reports on Munster. I have to say I am more concerned about their future than Ulster's. Ulster need a tweak or 6, Munster? Different story.

I saw the Limerick Leader trumpeting that over the 80 minutes, Munster had the better of the scrums. A little short sighted I think. Whilst BJ & Killer were fresh they very much had the advantage, once first Killer & then BJ were replaced by Cronin & Archer, it all turned to dust or more accurately crap.

BJ has only had a contract extension to 31st December, they may of course renew for the rest of the season but given he will turn 36 at the time the decision is due, can Munster survive? What lies behind Archer?

I thought there were hopes of Cronin being a major figure but he was chewed up by the Weegies. Then hooker is looking equally sparse, Casey has his fans & the Argie is now out of contract, will he be retained?

Then stepping back a row, Paulie gone we're assured, and his loss is massive, albeit he cannot sustain 80 minutes hard action too often in a season now, and I suspect Ireland got much better value from him than Munster this season, so who is there?

Donners is bate out, Ryan was a major loss having to go to 6 and will be the first name there if fit. Billy Holland is a bit part player who is going to be 30 when Munster next play, he has never made it in reality. After that I don't know what they have.

To the back row & Paddy Butler is off to France, Copeland has been less than exciting from what I've seen, so whilst there is quality in POM, Stander & TOD, it gets as thin as Ulster thereafter.

Behind the scrum, Murray is quality but Williams is as inconsistent and not as talented at wee-p, a dead loss. Moving out one, Keatley has been left in ruins this past 2 weeks, his kicking from the tee disastrous a week back, his kicking from hand dung in the final and he looked ponderous in the face of Weegies rushing defence.

There are hopes that Tyler Bleyendaal who missed the entire season due to injury will provide an answer & the signing of Saili is quality but they are losing Andrew Smith who has been average & then Denis Hurley is an issue. I had a good chat to him all those years back when he was a winner in 2008 in the HC, very decent big lad, happy to chat at the Munster Reception at CAP & I hate to be dismissive but he has never quite been one thing nor the other, a wee bit ponderous at 15 though brave, not the pace for a winger and not the all round game for 12, much has he has done a job for Munster this season.

Keet when fit has plenty to offer but Zebrother is going backwards at a rate of knots, he appears to have beefed up at a cost to his game and he has watched Rab Kearney bringing the ball out of defence too often, for he is aping the stuttering lack of decision making and then either flog a kick away or select a large opponent to run at an grapple with, usually to his detriment.

Then dear old Felix, possibly the greatest enthusiast but he is a bit helter skelter & not always in a good way, though talented ............ at times.

So there you have it, my second favourite team dismantled. Shan tell me where the gaps are to be filled & who have I done a disservice to ?

Barring one of the provinces getting a gift draw in the SDC next season, I'm struggling to see any Irish team in the knock outs, Ulster have lots of issues and weaknesses, Both Munster & Leinster are teams going the wrong way, Leinster at least have a productive academy which may get them on the up again before too long.

Whilst Schmidt continues to make a decent national team from the ruins, I see a bleakish time for the provinces for a year or two ............lucky our league is crap at present, they should all continue to be there or there abouts for top 4 but it will be a question of who will lose out for both Weegies & Ospreys appear to have much greater depth & significantly good options in crucial areas - half backs for starters.

Oh dear, I'm depressed. :(
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/20711.php#.VW3KBflVhBd

O'Connell departure confirmed.

What a man. A real genuine giant in the game. :salut:
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I see Munster are losing 11 players and bringing in three. Unless I'm missing something there aren't numbers of IQ players to meet the shortfalls of Munster and Ulster this summer.

Has anyone heard anything of an IRFU policy to "go to the academy"? Is this an austerity measure for both are making noises on lack of hard cash?

All in all it looks confusing especially given that doubtless the IRFU will be resting players following their RWC efforts.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Munster attendance alarm rejected.........

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugb ... 34522.html

Guinness Pro12 14/15 Home attendance........

http://rugby.statbunker.com/competition ... omp_id=471
Image Image
If You Have To Ask....You Don't Understand
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Mac wrote:Munster attendance alarm rejected.........

Give them their dues, These CEO's are all world class bullshitters. :lol:

Ulster would be comfortably top there, but for the Aviva game.

Likewise, the Cardiff and Dragons double header/double count has to be taken with a large pinch.

Weegies and Westies are probably the big winners this year.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

big mervyn wrote:
Mac wrote:Munster attendance alarm rejected.........

Give them their dues, These CEO's are all world class bullshitters. Image

Ulster would be comfortably top there, but for the Aviva game.

Likewise, the Cardiff and Dragons double header/double count has to be taken with a large pinch.

Weegies and Westies are probably the big winners this year.
Weegies sold out 2 league games this year
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Here is what the attendance table looks like with the Aviva and Millenium games removed

Club AVG Total Adj AVG Adj Total
Leinster17,717 194,892 15,108 151,075
Ulster 16,037 176,410
Munster 13,179 144,973
Blues 11,275 124,024 7,126 71,262
Dragons 10,272 112,995 6,023 60,233

Ospreys 8,389 92,278
Scarlets 7,069 77,760
Glasgow 6,333 69,662
Connacht 5,491 60,397
Edinburgh 4,844 53,279
Treviso 3,269 35,960
Zebre 2,612 28,730
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

All those diehard Glasgow fans who rocked up to Spanners in their skirts & military bunnets. :lol: :lol: :lol: Until the last few weeks of the season Connacht had a higher average attendance.

Plastic people, plastic fans, no class. :roll:

Shockingly poor statistical analysis in any event. Caaaaaaaaaadiff & Dragons allocated the full crowd at Judgement Day whereas nothing for the days away teams, Scaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalets & Ospreys, who almost certainly provided the bulk of the fans at the neutral venue.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

I always find it interesting what percentage of the stadium is filled by each team - I think it gives an idea of how many people a team could draw in but are failing to do so:

Ulster - 88%
Leinster - 82%
Connacht - 73%
Dragons - 71%
Glasgow - 65%
Cardiff - 59%
Zebre - 52%
Treviso - 49%
Scarlets - 48%
Ospreys - 40%

I omitted Munster due to the fact they play half their games in Cork and half in Limerick, so I would require two stats for them. Similarly I omitted Edinburgh due to the fact that they play at Murrayfield so obviously their percentage would be very low - it worked out at 7% for those interested.

Worked out by dividing average attendance by capacity of stadia. Capacities taken off Wikipedia so may not be 100% accurate but shouldn't be too far off.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.