Zimbabwe Question

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

Tevez
Initiate

Zimbabwe Question

Post by Tevez »

Currently in Switzerland watching the European Masters Golf.....when my Ulster polo was spotted by one of caddies. I played against the Red Hand says the caddie.....played against Stevie Smith (for our younger viewers an Ulster, Ireland & B&I Lions hooker).....great player. Apparently the caddy had played for a provincial team in Zim against Ulster.

So when did Ulster tour Zimbabwe and who did they play against.......?
If only everyone had Neil McMillan's dedication....
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Re: Zimbabwe Question

Post by Kofi Annan »

Ulster toured Zimbabwe in August 1987 and played five games (lost one game )I know that they played Mashonaland Central. And two other teams possibly another province and GoShawks which is a Barbarian type team !the other two of the 5 games were" internationals"...

By the way the game they lost was strange and made rugby history, Ulster thought the game was over (time up)and they had won , so kicked the ball over the stand and out of the ground, however they did not know it was a local law and illegal to do so, a penalty was awarded against them, Zimbabwe kicked the penalty and won the game,

Sir you have been helped, pity the Great one was not here to answer the question , just humble old me, so buy yon caddy a cold beer

>drink1
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

In 1987:

Mashonaland v Ulster (Harare) won 0-39
Midlands (Redclift) won 0-52
Zimbabwe 1st test (Bulawayo) won 12-36
Manicland (Mutare) won 13-26
Zimbabwe 2nd test (Harare) lost 18-17
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Kofi Annan wrote:Ulster toured Zimbabwe in August 1987 and played five games (lost one game )I know that they played Mashonaland Central. And two other teams possibly another province and GoShawks which is a Barbarian type team !the other two of the 5 games were" internationals"...

By the way the game they lost was strange and made rugby history, Ulster thought the game was over (time up)and they had won , so kicked the ball over the stand and out of the ground, however they did not know it was a local law and illegal to do so, a penalty was awarded against them, Zimbabwe kicked the penalty and won the game,

Sir you have been helped, pity the Great one was not here to answer the question , just humble old me, so buy yon caddy a cold beer

>drink1
>appl >appl >appl

Almost as well replied as the Great One himself, though I dare say he would have known the attendance figures & if pushed could have named the entire crowd. :D

Tevez, enjoy the rarefied atmosphere and get out of Tobleroneland safely. Evil country. >EW
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Attendence figures: 2 men and a dog , Robert, Sean and Simba, you have been helped
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Kofi Annan wrote:Attendence figures: 2 men and a dog , Robert, Sean and Simba, you have been helped
Cheers Kofi, my cup floweth over. :thumleft:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Tevez
Initiate

Post by Tevez »

Very many thanks Kofi (and others)....was hoping you would come up trumps!

Small world eh?

Hoey's stutter and Maybin's steady progress on a beautiful sunny day.....pales beside Trimby & I humph 's heroics.... & Liam's red card.

Baggy let me tell you about the big heavyweight fight here when I next see you!
If only everyone had Neil McMillan's dedication....