Stand Up for the Westies

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Stand Up for the Westies

Post by Shan »

Absolutely fantastic stuff. Really delighted for Connacht.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

bazzaj wrote:That has done us a real favour because before a ball was kicked you would have said the best runner up and a top seeded home quarter finalist would come from that pool and the rest would be battling it out for the other spots.
That result improves our chances of either best runner up or a home qf spot.
Thanks Connacht.
That must be the 3rd time they have done us a good turn in the HEC :D
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
davejohnston
Initiate

Post by davejohnston »

You've got to hand it to them - their ability to cause those one off upsets is what makes HC, so exciting. Well done Connacht >clapping
They will be missed next year, but I hope two things come out of this, for Connacht, and Irish Rugby

1) They start to transfer some of that determination to the league - Frankly I think Toulose expected them to fade away in the last 20-15min, but they continued to play like a side with alot more HC experience that what they actually have.

2) They back that up, with another win next week. Toulose will be out for blood, but another victory will really turn that pool on it's head, and leave Saracens needing to go away to Toulose to guarantee they top the pool.
pythagoras
Warrior Assassin

Post by pythagoras »

Unbelieveable result, I felt guilty after for not hitting the red button.
Hard to imagine the IRFU ever trying to ditch Connacht again after that.
If Ireland is to have 4 teams then Connacht should be given a chance of hanging onto their best and not be a Leinster feeder club.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

pythagoras wrote:Unbelieveable result, I felt guilty after for not hitting the red button.
If Ireland is to have 4 teams then Connacht should be given a chance of hanging onto their best and not be a Leinster feeder club.
100% agree- 4 equally strong provinces.. is there the support base in the West though to make it viable?
Exterminate all rational thought
pythagoras
Warrior Assassin

Post by pythagoras »

CIMANFOREVER wrote:
pythagoras wrote:Unbelieveable result, I felt guilty after for not hitting the red button.
100% agree- 4 equally strong provinces.. is there the support base in the West though to make it viable?
Doubt it, it would require a policy of redistribution from the IRFU. If they want 4 equally strong provinces to select the national side from they could make it happen but it would mean less money for the other 3.
Anyone know what the budgets of each province are as it stands?
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

pythagoras wrote:
CIMANFOREVER wrote:
Doubt it, it would require a policy of redistribution from the IRFU. If they want 4 equally strong provinces to select the national side from they could make it happen but it would mean less money for the other 3.
Anyone know what the budgets of each province are as it stands?
There was something about a mimic of the AP salary cap at a supporters club evening a while ago. Can't remember if it included centrally contracted players or how much of it was meant to come from D4 vs self earned
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

According to the English broadsheets this win actually further undermines the HEC. Jesus wept.

Great win for Connacht, pure blood and thunder from start to finish against one of Europes too teams. Bloody marvellous stuff. Consistency is key though, they remind me of ourselves before McLaughs took over. A decent team with a few good players who at times play to or above their collective but don't get it right often enough, I hope Lam can be some sort of catalyst for them. Heenan and Faloon in the same backrow would be an awkward prospect for any team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Loki
Warrior Assassin

Post by Loki »

fantastic stuff from Connacht, delighted for them. I'd love them to turn over Tolouse at home as well, great match to help keep the flame burning in the Wesht.

Marmion is a top quality prospect.
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Connacht down 8-6 against Sarries but doing better than I thought they would. Defending brilliantly, would love to see them win this. Seems Lam was a good appointment for Connacht judging by this season
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Just as I post that Strettle scores, 13-6 conversion coming
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
for dog and ulcer
Lord Chancellor

Post by for dog and ulcer »

Leighton Hodges is a tube!!!
for dog and ulcer
Lord Chancellor

18 6 at halftime. :-(
for dog and ulcer
Lord Chancellor

23 6 :-(
for dog and ulcer
Lord Chancellor

This would leave Leics and Saracens in last 8. Saracens are very hard to like!