TRANSFER RUMOURS!!

What do you know?? Talk to us here!

Moderator: Moderators

dl1
Novice

Re: Ulster Signings!!

Post by dl1 »

I heard this of a very good source who plays for Ulster, I had heard about all the other signings about 3-4 weeks ago but only joined this forum today!! Rabeni was head of the list but cant see to much coming of it, I also had heard greg somerville but nothing has been said about him yet!!

I apologise if I am just repeating what has been said but I cant be bothered reading through all the other posts.
dl1
Novice

Post by dl1 »

look Im telling you that i heard it along time ago before anything had come through in the newspapers or websites!!Big deal I havent been on this forum what the hell has that got to do with it!Stop being so High and Mighty!!
GerryO'
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by GerryO' »

dl1 wrote: Clinton is too old and wouldnt start for Queensland if they had a full team
Wrong! He plays wing when Latham is at 15.
THE OLDER I GET THE BETTER I WAS
The Fonz
Novice

Re: TRANSFER RUMOURS!!

Post by The Fonz »

Keep your hair on lads or I will have to get the big stick out :twisted: 8)
Keep Cool 8)
dl1
Novice

Post by dl1 »

do you believe that the two queensland players are the way to move ulster forward?

clinton is too old(yep he does start on wing when latham is fit but he wouldnt if they had someone in the team who could kick)

Dont no much about ed but cant imagine him to be too good considering the amount of clubs who let him go!!
Ithryn
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ithryn »

rabeni was never going to leave leicester, he is loved there, the locals treat him like a hero, and he is on a big salery and regularily wins trophies.

and yes they will move us forward,

1. we need to rebuild out squad so an upcoming lock for the squad is good
2. we need a reliable placekicker for 2-3 years will o conner and mini humph develope, hence why people were looking to patterson or some other one dimensional play with a few years left in him
Why? Why not?
dl1
Novice

Post by dl1 »

im still unsure,how can you compete in europe if your not signing top class internationals!!

We need to replace the players we lost and we are not doing it well enough!!

BJ isthe only great signing but we need more!!

I hate to say it but I really think ulster are going to be worse this year,i could see another exodus next year if the team doesnt go well!!I hope I am wrong!
Ithryn
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ithryn »

we were never going to be able to go out and grab 5 top class internationals in one go, progress is slow and steady, be prepared for 1-2 seasons of mid table and rebuilding before challenging for anything. which is fine.

id like to see us regaining fortress ravenhill next year first and foremost, along with a few wins on the road. then the following season with a more developed squad we can push for a top 4 finish (play offs) and hope for some luck. repeat that the following season and hope to get out of our heiniken cup group.

top four is what we should consistantly aim for from now on. even if we dont get through, the extra revenue from the playoffs will be nice to pocket too leading to more development.

slow and steady boys
Why? Why not?
GerryO'
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by GerryO' »

dl1 wrote:(yep he does start on wing when latham is fit but he wouldnt if they had someone in the team who could kick)
And you know this because....?
THE OLDER I GET THE BETTER I WAS
DHK
Steward

Post by DHK »

GerryO' wrote:
dl1 wrote:(yep he does start on wing when latham is fit but he wouldnt if they had someone in the team who could kick)
And you know this because....?
Berrick Barnes is a pretty solid kicker so clearly Schifcofske isn't just there for his kicking
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

dl1 wrote:im still unsure,how can you compete in europe if your not signing top class internationals!!

We need to replace the players we lost and we are not doing it well enough!!

BJ isthe only great signing but we need more!!

I hate to say it but I really think ulster are going to be worse this year,i could see another exodus next year if the team doesnt go well!!I hope I am wrong!
Lets see - Larkin, old Humph, McMillan and Simon Best were effectviely non players last year for a variety of reasons so the only players we have lost are Campbell, Bart, Bowe, Wilson, Neil Best and Harrison.

Shifty is a much better player than Bart, winger for Bowe yet to be decided, the young Leinster lad for Campbell, Diack is better than Wilson acording to my sources, O'Donoghue for Harrison (Matt reckons he is a genuine replacement), Botha and Roach extra in the front row and young Humph extra at 10. So only Neil Best who under performed badly last year not replaced.

Given that Dewey, O'Connor, Pollock, Caldwell, McCrea and Court should all be better players next year than last I just don't accept we will be weaker just the opposite. Most importantly the coach is a better one than last year - the most important position of the lot.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

dl1 wrote: i could see another exodus next year if the team doesnt go well!!I hope I am wrong!
Well personally I hope there is another exodus next year providing it is the right players who go, still a fair bit of dead wood in the squad to prune.
I'd take Clint Shifty any day before Patterson on the last performances I watched on Sky, at least he can tackle as well as kick points.

Rabini leaving Leicester, nearly wet myself laughing when I heard that one :roll: next think you will tell us Tulagi is coming as well.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
dl1
Novice

Post by dl1 »

Believe what you want but the person who told me about all the transfers have went through (well well before they ever came to the newspapers) bar rabeni which he said was highly unlikely anyway (as did I but apparently ulster were in for him, thats all im saying-never did i say they would get him). Diack is not better than wilson from the game I watched, SA letting him go because of Burger,Pierre Spies, Juan Smith, Ryan Kankowski, Luke Watson and Vermeulen etc all brilliant players but is he even close to their league!!Winger to replace bowe is needed big time!!I agree N Best was poor this year but still need a replacement ( i hope pollock can cut it, im yet to see him reach the potential he has been talked up to at that level(he was great in the u19 world cup but its big step up,as you seen when we played against the ospreys away,countless tackles where missed on his behalf)Court and Dewey have been great since they have been back in the side (especially court)

Well we will wait and see about the exodus but I will happily bet you that it wont just be dead wood that leave ulster next year!!
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

'Diack is not better than wilson from the game I watched'

I think this is key - the 1 singular game you watched. He is 22 and is being actively talked about as a new South African no 8.

Wilson is a wholehearted No 8 but short of international class.

With respect to next year - speculation depends on may factors.

The key Irish players are Caldwell, Ferris, O'Connor, Trimble, McCrea and maybe Young.
I cannot see anyway Trimble, O'Connor or McCrea will go and even the others are unlikely imo.

Who are you thinking of?
Last edited by Ardglass2 on Tue May 20, 2008 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

Diack is not better than wilson from the game I watched, SA letting him go because of Burger,Pierre Spies, Juan Smith, Ryan Kankowski, Luke Watson and Vermeulen etc all brilliant players but is he even close to their league!!
Firstly you must have seen a bad game, Diack is competing with Schalk Burger, Francois Louw and Luke Watson for a starting spot in the S14 and he is still getting regular game time, Watson and Burger have both been dropped to the bench on occasion this season so Diack can play, and dont forget he has only just turned 22 so he is still learning. Was he not SA U19 and 21 captain in th ast few seasons as well?

And on another note he hasnt represented the A team so in 3years time he would be Ireland qualified i dont know if anyone has mentioned that yet!!!
Mary had a little lamb . . .