TRANSFER RUMOURS!!

What do you know?? Talk to us here!

Moderator: Moderators

Muddy Bless
Initiate

Re: TRANSFER RUMOURS!!

Post by Muddy Bless »

Selling tickets could get to be a problem if it appears there is little to cheer at ravers. I admit to be only an occasional man on the terrace, so I can tell the more dedicated supporters about, that if there were some big names/Ulster were playing well, I would be more inclined to fork out the pennies to go allong.

the more big names the merrier in my book, not only to continue to draw the crowds but to give some of our yonger guys the chance of working with people who have a wealth of experience.
GerryO'
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by GerryO' »

I would suggest that a successful team will fill Ravenhill irrespective of who they are.
If we could sign two top class players for the same money as a ‘marquee name’; I’d be going for the former.
THE OLDER I GET THE BETTER I WAS
bigchiefally
Initiate

Post by bigchiefally »

I think the average punter who turns up for the occasional game isnt someone who is going to know who Jerry Collins is, or be liable to be impressed enough to turn up to a game just by him. They are far more likely to be impressed and turn up by seeing Ulster having run in 6 tries a couple of nights earlier on the UTV/BBC local sports clips. Now Jerry may well help us do that, but if the only reason you sign him and not someone cheaper is because you think fans will turn up to watch him I think think that is mistaken.

I really dont think rugby has enough mass market appeal for the sports big names to be great value on a purely promotional value. Someone like Dougie Howlett is reasonably well known and doubtless got a few people through the gate in Munster, but I doubt it was enough to justify giving him £150000 a year more than a less well known player, if he wasnt going to be better also on the pitch.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Without Howlett, Tipoki, & Mafi Munster would not be near the team they are at present, especially the 2 centres, people don't turn up because of their names they turn up to see the results of what they do, hence the top guys cost money, it's back to the old "you get what you pay for".
Ulster crowds will not grow because of the names if we get Botha and a few others it's the results that will bring the numbers not the individuals.
Red Hand Hero wrote:Rant time-I am getting fed up with this bullshit of "i know something you don't", this is a rumours section so either put fourth your assertions or shut up...if your "source" told you not to tell anyone then bloody well don't, if not then throw it open to the rest of the site...your not getting any more respect points just because you have a friend thats a player/involved in management ffs then to come crowing on here going "i told you so". :banghead:
Rumours section means rumours.
Load of names mentioned here but if you look at other message boards others think they are heading their way as well, everyone can't be right and if any were already signed I can't see UR not releasing their details as it would be in their interest to at present to encourage people to buy their season tickets.
Agents will always leak out names of players and start up speculation to get clubs interested, if you are on a percentage commission no better way to get the price up than a bidding war, whether it is based on truth or bluff.

Of all the players that have left/retired the aim should be to replace with a better player otherwise we are standing still, and in rugby like anything else if you are standing still you are actually going backwards these days, at least 3 top class players are needed in our new signings and preferably 6 of them but that is dreaming.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Ball Boy
Initiate

Post by Ball Boy »

Is there anywhere Evans hasn't been rumoured to be heading?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/4478276a10295.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
For the razor blade was German-made
But the sheet was Belfast Linen.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Ball Boy wrote:Is there anywhere Evans hasn't been rumoured to be heading?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/4478276a10295.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Evans' deal with the East Midlands club was thought to be worth about $750,000 a season.

While the Dragons are leading the race, they are not alone.

Harlequins remain interested but can't match the money Leicester and the Dragons can offer while Ulster, a less attractive option, remain in the hunt and are believed to be offering $250,000 a season more than the London club.
:twisted: Less attractive than Leicester yes I'll agree but to say we are less attractive than the DragonsImage
$750,000 = £350,000
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
McPepper
Initiate

Post by McPepper »

Less Attractive?

Sure we have Niamh Perry :D
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

bells123 wrote:
I wouldn't be that keen on Collins.
Here, here that man. Down with this sort of thing! There's no point in bringing in a player just because he's bloody good. Next thing you know, we'll have a team filled with good players. Where will it all end? Next, we'll start trying to win trophies, increase our revenues and get more people involved in the club and the game.

No, at last some sanity. Let's just settle down. See if Campbell Feather is prepared to dust off the boots and fill a squad place and sit back safe in the knowledge that next season we will once again finish just ahead of Connacht, and just behind the Dragons.

What's up Beller................you a relation of some sort?

Would rather we signed a creative 7 who could link backs and forwards................maybe you should just settle down and pour yourself a namesake. :lol:
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

Collins would be a fantastic signing and anyone that says otherwise needs their heads looked at,
Hearing voices RHH.............. :duck:
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Red Hand Hero wrote:We're agreed then Rooster... :scratch:
More or less except the "rumours " bit
Dogs, tweety birds, moles, and various other specimens drop wee hints or should I say rumours, that's what this section and even the title of this thread is about, hence it is fairly safe to write just about any player we think might be interested, if it was not a rumour it would not be in this section :scratch: :scratch: :argue: :argue: :scratch: :scratch:
Mind you there is usually some truth behind all of these rumours just which ones come to be fact is the big question.
eg. Ian Humphs is released from Leicester which is a fact, then people assume he is coming to Ulster which is a rumour at present.
Rory Best
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Red Hand Hero wrote:Oui oui, but then i heard that Ian Humph is definitely coming home.. :wink:
Version I heard was back to Ireland, didn't specify where.
Rory Best
King Ding
Squire

Post by King Ding »

Was the young new zeland backrower actually Diack, or is there another 1 coming.

I would personally love to see Toeva or Atinga here, awesome players and they seem to be available for the right price. What are the chances of ulster taking a gamble on a young south sea islander, a rick i know but you could get lucky and find a quality player
dl1
Novice

Ulster Signings!!

Post by dl1 »

Ulster signings

Cillian willis scrumhalf from leinster,
Robbie Diack Number 8 from Stormers,
trying to get rabeni from leicester!!
They need a alot more because Ulster are not producing the players to cut it in the H Cup!!Plain and Simple

As far as Im concerned,Ulster are going to get ALOT worse before they get better!!CLINTON SCHIFCOFSKE AND ED O’DONOGHUE are average signings,

Clinton is too old and wouldnt start for Queensland if they had a full team, he has been playing rugby union for a couple of years and played rugby league for rest of time, i think making only one state of origin series!

Ed has had a number of clubs which makes me think he is either very poor or has a bad attitude, ok ok at least he is Irish qualified but i highly doubt he will break through!

BJ Botha is a great signing, i will say that!!

Any thoughts?
Mad Dod
Initiate

Re: Ulster Signings!!

Post by Mad Dod »

I know this topic will be abandoned soon because of the ongoing one on another part of the forum.......
Rabeni?!? What the heck have you heard. I've been looking everywhere for news of this but can't find any!! What is your source (or were you just taking the pi$h?)
Windeos
Warrior Chief

Re: Ulster Signings!!

Post by Windeos »

What a player Rabeni is but I wouldn't really class him as a wing, I reckon he is better in the centre smashing people, maybe move trimble to the wing?

I duno :banghead: