The wish-list thread

What do you know?? Talk to us here!

Moderator: Moderators

OneMore
Warrior Chief

Re: Re: The wish-list thread

Post by OneMore »

breakdown wrote:I said he will be giving them more of a chance than McGlocks, not starting them every game!! I'm just saying that since he has coached a kids team will give him confidence to give them a few starts now and again and knows how to manage them better! Geez.. read the thing properly next time!
Pretty sure I read it as it's written. Anscombe's responsibility is the senior team, I believe the fact he was an u20 coach is completely irrelevant to this in terms of who he'll pick. If PJ gets a start or two it'll be because he's shown enough in training or from the bench to earn it. Not because Anscombe coached the NZ u20's. McLaughlin coached a schoolboy side before Ulster, how is MA more likely to give youth a chance because of his experience than BM?

I agree with the sentiment (that Anscombe may be inclined to give PJ a bit more gametime), but entirely disagree with this piece of reasoning.
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: The wish-list thread

Post by breakdown »

Because he's coached the NZ u20's so he might know a little bit more at identifying if young players are technically good enough to start than a guy who coached a team to a few schools cups
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Cornerfleg wrote:
OneMore wrote:
Mac wrote: +1

Thank feck............at last someone with more than a smattering
of grey matter between their lugs. :thumright:
OFF TOPIC

I see no mention of who you'd wish Ulster to sign.

:salut: LOL ... it's a moral high ground shoot out!
Yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Fillyourhands.jpg
Fillyourhands.jpg (8.41 KiB) Viewed 4914 times
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Jeeez, having got past the fight posts this has now turned into a nipper touting thread plus a contribution from DK's no 1 fan :roll:

I'm off to the rumours thread to post some crap about Kelly Brown. :duh: :duh: :duh: BUt before I go, yes 10 is a problem but with the IRFU being a bunch of back to fronts over Pedrie, by Christ do we need at least one back row player.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Nightsoil
Warrior

Post by Nightsoil »

OneMore wrote:
mikerob wrote: ...Ulster looks to have put their faith in Jackson.
This may be the case, but they've yet to "back" him in a sense, in terms of game time or even bench time for that matter. If there isn't another 10 acquired, we should be looking at getting Jackson in every match day squad early next season, with considerable game time. A start or two also would help.
While I agree he could have had more, and would like to see him becoming a match day fixture soon, there aren't too many U20 fly-halfs with 10+ senior caps, including Heineken appearances, kicking around. And he's jumped ahead of James McKinney at least to accomplish that. Plus, of course, we don't really need 10 cover in the match day squad as a rule, which makes it a bit of a luxury.

I grow increasingly concerned about the need to bolster our back-row - in fact, I'd say that's the only place we need a signing. Possibly two.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

The Heineken Cup this year
The RaboDirect PRO12 trophy this year
No more injuries to 1F

And the realistic one:
A reliable fly-half
A proper openside allowing CH to go to 8
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Ruck how will we get both?? A reliable 10 would probably have to be NIQ, PJ and IHumph arent the answer, Madigan wouldn't leave Leinster and Steenson isn't great either. If we got a reliable 10 we couldnt get a proper openside given the lack of them in Ireland right now
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

How the feck do you know Jackson isn't the answer?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Big-al wrote:How the feck do you know Jackson isn't the answer?
He's heard the voices Big-al.
gulder.gif
gulder.gif (11.1 KiB) Viewed 4784 times
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Not right now is what I meant, but hey, I hear Luke Marshall can play 10. What about it Al? :wink: :lol:
Nightsoil
Warrior

Post by Nightsoil »

LastKnightoftheproms wrote:
breakdown wrote:Not right now is what I meant, but hey, I hear Luke Marshall can play 10. What about it Al? :wink: :lol:
Plays 10 and 12 at the same time I've heard - both excellently and should be a shoo in for the Lions next year. :wink:
That's exactly the sort of work ethic we need to cover up for Cappucino Cave! Good on the lad.

Also, am I the only man in the world happy with Henry at 7?
Starsky
Initiate

Post by Starsky »

Nightsoil wrote: Also, am I the only man in the world happy with Henry at 7?
He's doing a good job, but he is one of a number in our squad who can easily switch between 6 and 8, while lacking the instincts of a natural 7. Think if we are adding to the back row we should aim for someone with ability and experience at open side.
One does not simply walk into Ulster
Eggs
Warrior Chief

Post by Eggs »

Starsky wrote:
Nightsoil wrote: Also, am I the only man in the world happy with Henry at 7?
He's doing a good job, but he is one of a number in our squad who can easily switch between 6 and 8, while lacking the instincts of a natural 7. Think if we are adding to the back row we should aim for someone with ability and experience at open side.
At this stage I think we will be lucky if there's anyone available of a good enough standard that they would make ou top match day 23. I suspect we may have to settle for a reasonable squad player, someone who can fill in when the boys are away with Ireland,, purely as we are looking so late.

Someone like, oh let me see, falloon perhaps!!! :roll:
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Or Birch, he will be good
Windeos
Warrior Chief

Post by Windeos »

Completely far fetched I know (hence posting in the wish list thread) but what about going after David Pocock as our last NIQ signing.

He's out of contract for next season with the Reds trying to sign him from the Western Force, point being he hasn't signed a new contract. Would be an unreal signing that I can't see happening but to be fair I never believed St Ruan would sign for us either.

Just was reading up on the Aus openside Michael Hooper leaving Brumbies for Waratahs and came across the fact Pocock is out of contract.