Yet more BJ rumors ...

What do you know?? Talk to us here!

Moderator: Moderators

Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Yet more BJ rumors ...

Post by Cornerfleg »

I see the Indo (spit and stamp) and Crozier are claiming exclusives on BJ going home this season. Now while if my house was burning down I'd need to double check if I read the report in either rag it seems by the silence from UR and the noises from the Lions that this might come to pass, I'm wondering if it's BJs wants, or is the IRFU putting a squeeze on to develop home grown props ... the investment in Mushy has eventually (thank feck) been exposed as a total waste of time and now its time for TC to get real time at TH.

Also if true I'd like to be among the many who salute Brendan for his hard grafting and behind teh scenes work to bring on Paddy Mac, TC and Deccie to for me a higher performance in the propping department this season.

With a NIQ spot now open what will we do with it?
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Re: Yet more BJ rumors ...

Post by stickinout »

Cornerfleg wrote:With a NIQ spot now open what will we do with it?

FFS CFleg, do NOT believe anything written in the Sindo. As for a NIQ now open, are you not jumping the gun a bit? The article in the Sindo says he's linked to three other clubs and Ulster. Fingers crossed he stays with us. Just a crap bit of filler journalism better suited to the bin or at least the rumours threads, here it is:

Lions hunt for Botha
Tuesday February 01 2011

Reports in South Africa have linked Ulster prop BJ Botha with Super 15 franchise the Lions, writes Hugh Farrelly.

The Springbok tight-head is out of contract at the end of the season and it is understood Botha's representatives have approached both Munster and Leinster with a view to moving.

However, Mike Ross and Jamie Hagan are expected to be on Leinster's books next season, which would mean Botha's Irish options are to either stay with Ulster or move to Munster.

Now, South African media are reporting that the Lions "are close to securing" Botha which, if that is the case, would mean a return to his home country.

It's possible Botha could make the move along with Bath out-half Butch James, who has also been strongly linked with the Johannesburg-based outfit.

James joined Bath in 2007, making his debut in their 28--6 victory over Auch in the European Challenge Cup with a try-scoring man-of-the-match performance.

Irish Independent
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Some genious on the LF site pointed out that the indo had BJ to Munster then Leinster then the Lions with Ross moving to Munster, Hagan to Leinster, then Ross to Ulster ... talk about finger on the pulse. the Indo is the sort of investigative paper that would work the odds out of winning the lottery at 14 000 000 to 1 and then buy 14 000 001 tickets!

I'm not saying they've got a a scoop but there's been total silence on the BJ front, and a lot of traffic in the street about a NIQ full back, no word on D'Arcy. I'm just wondering if deals are being done or hands shaken and nothing said yet. Remember RP was supposed to have shaken hands a long long time before it was leaked/announced!
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Cornerfleg wrote:and a lot of traffic in the street about a NIQ full back, no word on D'Arcy. I'm just wondering if deals are being done or hands shaken and nothing said yet. Remember RP was supposed to have shaken hands a long long time before it was leaked/announced!
D'Arcy was on TV with his girlfriend a couple of weeks ago when she came over for a visit, perhaps looking for house ?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

That is the first bit of news I've seen, heard or translated from canine semaphore about D'Arcy. Hope he's going to stay.
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

Cornerfleg wrote:Some genious on the LF site pointed out that the indo had BJ to Munster then Leinster then the Lions with Ross moving to Munster, Hagan to Leinster, then Ross to Ulster ... talk about finger on the pulse. the Indo is the sort of investigative paper that would work the odds out of winning the lottery at 14 000 000 to 1 and then buy 14 000 001 tickets!

I'm not saying they've got a a scoop but there's been total silence on the BJ front, and a lot of traffic in the street about a NIQ full back, no word on D'Arcy. I'm just wondering if deals are being done or hands shaken and nothing said yet. Remember RP was supposed to have shaken hands a long long time before it was leaked/announced!

I wonder if the Sindo has a big tombola box with players names and teams in it and they do a big tumble on a Monday morning? Point taken on the lack of noise re: BJ from UR, but it's still early doors and they've had plenty to keep their minds busy. I would imagine the good Dr will be keeping his cards close to his chest as he got burnt once or twice before.... here's hoping BJ does stay and that the IRFU don't have any influence over that decision.
promsandwich
Steward

Post by promsandwich »

Imo BJ has been a terrific signing for us. Let's not forget how poor we were when he came - I'm sure there wasn't a queue of big names looking to sign for us at the time. He has been a great servant while he has been here. I know he gets well paid but his performance for us on the pitch has always been at a top level. If he stays with us it would be terrific. But if he goes, because he wants to get back to SA for the good weather/to further his WC chances/to settle down with his young family then I for one ( and I would hope there would be many others ) will say thanks for everything BJ and best of luck for the future.

Scrum wise we are in a pretty decent position at the minute with TC, Deccie, Paddy Mac, Bryan and we would appear to have a couple more young prospects in Mackin ( who I wish a speedy recovery ) and young Whitten. We may also bolster our squad with an IQ prop ( I thought Hagan would have been a great signing, otherwise there is the kid Brookes or the likes of Andress ) and look to strengthen elsewhere. Either way, BJ has been instrumental in reinvigorating our scrummage department so good luck to him and thanks.

Have to say, if u go on the ladyboys or turnips fan sites it should give you a good laugh - there is a certain believe that the IRFU control everything ( which they might do ) but that all 4 provinces should really be shifting their resources so that the Turnips scrum doesn't get any more embarrassing ( is that possible!!??) eg. Hagan to Leinster, Ross to Munster, BJ to Munster -it's a laugh.

We look like we are ok in comparison. To lose our world class tight head would be a blow but after the recent transfer dealings of the Fit controller and the Dr. I don't think we should be at all despondent until everything becomes clear.

:red: :salut:
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Irish Indo wrote:[The Springbok tight-head is out of contract at the end of the season and it is understood Botha's representatives have approached both Munster and Leinster with a view to moving.
I thought BJ did his own negotiating?
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

He also rubished claims that he was moving to Munster on his twitter.

I can't see Bj staying in the UK if he's not at Ulster. I for one appreciate all he has given to Ulster rugby. Probably the best Tighthead prop to have worn Ulster colours ever!!!
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

He's already cemented his place as one of the best to have worn an Ulster shirt. A fantastic acquisition and you can see the likes of Deccy, Court, McAlistair and Young have all improved thanks to his influence. It would be sad to see him go. IF he goes anywhere he will be heading home. He won't be going near Turnipstan (sure they've got the world class Buckley and Hayes so he wouldn't get a game).

This article is pure speculation though, in fact it looks like he wrote it on the back of a beer mat after 6 pints.
Last edited by Jackie Brown on Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Ithryn
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ithryn »

Ulster would surely be offering BJ a contract, he has been one of the best signings ulster ever made.

If he goes back to SA for the world cup , we should offer him a contract for the next season.
Why? Why not?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Ithryn wrote:Ulster would surely be offering BJ a contract, he has been one of the best signings ulster ever made.

If he goes back to SA for the world cup , we should offer him a contract for the next season.
Why, yes he has been a real asset in the front row, yet we have survived other front rows without him and you have to weigh up cost plus NIQ spot versus what we have and what we need.
Deccy Fitz stood the test last weekend against an experienced enough front row, TC just goes from strength to strength and PaddyMac is coming along nicely as well all no doubt with the assistance of BJ at training, props are not our worst covered position at present.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Ithryn
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ithryn »

True but if danilli is retiring or leaving as some people say then that frees up a NIQ spot, and I would far rather keep botha than danielli. Allowing us to sign a NIQ center/fullback.
Why? Why not?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Ithryn wrote:True but if danilli is retiring or leaving as some people say then that frees up a NIQ spot, and I would far rather keep botha than danielli. Allowing us to sign a NIQ center/fullback.
Has Danielli not another year on his contract though ?
Rory Best
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Rumours, all rumours :roll:

Is there not a dedicated forum for these things?
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right