Satellite tv coverage 2017-2018

Questions for the players, the management, the UAFC, the URSC or other supporters... Someone might answer you!! (and pigs might fly)

Moderator: Moderators

for dog and ulcer
Lord Chancellor

Satellite tv coverage 2017-2018

Post by for dog and ulcer »

Can anyone advise on what is the best combination of SKY/BT for the coming season? I have both Sky Sports and BT Sports but I am getting tired paying for them, especially when there were games such as the Ireland tour games when I would have required a 3rd subscription. A plain factual statement of which broadcaster is covering which tournament would be appreciated. I am mainly interested in the Pro14 and European tournaments.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Re: Satellite tv coverage 2017-2018

Post by mikerob »

Both Sky and BT are covering European games for this season.

BT has exclusive coverage of European games from 18/19 to 21/22.

Pro14 broadcasters are listed here:
http://www.pro14rugby.org/broadcast-schedule/
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

BBCNI showing all Ulster games R1-13. As mentioned the Euro games will be shown on a mixture of BT Sport (prob Quins and Wasps games) and Sky Sports (La Rochelle).

Ireland - 6N on the BBC/ITV, with the autumn games on Sky. Summer tour in 2018 is down under - maybe on Sky?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

In Spain I purchased an IPTV box for €294, as long as you receive a strong internet signal you will never again miss any rugby match you have the slightest interest in & all in HD if it's broadcast in HD. I will pay €180 annually, in addition, it is an ongoing service, not a one off buy.

I'm considering bringing it home at the end of August and telling the other providers that they can kiss the rosy red cheeks of my hole. My property manager is a football fan & he can watch his beloved Leicester City every week of the wendyball season. A most marvellous device.

In addition, they have every Film as soon as it's in the cinema, sometimes before. All stolen of course but largely untraceable through Canada & thence to Spain where they care not a jot as long as it doesn't broadcast Spanish sport.

Not hard to lay your hands on such a thing, I predict the demise of SKY & BT.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Sky has changed their viewing model to what people wanted 5 years ago

Now i just want to be able to watch a game i want to watch and nothing else

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
HairyJ
Initiate

Post by HairyJ »

BaggyTrousers wrote:In Spain I purchased an IPTV box for €294, as long as you receive a strong internet signal you will never again miss any rugby match you have the slightest interest in & all in HD if it's broadcast in HD. I will pay €180 annually, in addition, it is an ongoing service, not a one off buy.

I'm considering bringing it home at the end of August and telling the other providers that they can kiss the rosy red cheeks of my hole. My property manager is a football fan & he can watch his beloved Leicester City every week of the wendyball season. A most marvellous device.

In addition, they have every Film as soon as it's in the cinema, sometimes before. All stolen of course but largely untraceable through Canada & thence to Spain where they care not a jot as long as it doesn't broadcast Spanish sport.

Not hard to lay your hands on such a thing, I predict the demise of SKY & BT.
You can subscribe to IPTV services here for cheaper than that. Just need a Smart TV or a device like a Firestick.

Not done it, but think I will.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
for dog and ulcer
Lord Chancellor

Post by for dog and ulcer »

Thanks for those helpful replies. It looks like I will be terminating my SKY sub fairly soon. Too much to pay for too little rugby. That nice Mr Murdoch might find his world domination does not include rugby fans. I will retain my BT sub despite the often cringe worthy coverage.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

It's difficult to justify a Sky Sports subscription just for rugby.

NowTV is an option for the occasional game or there are plenty of dodgy streaming services.

I was reading that some of the big US tech companies like Amazon may enter the bidding for the next round of English Premier League rights so BT may lose out as they are looking to scale back on what they spend on sports. Sky are looking to be less dependent on sports as well hence why they are hyping up GoT and other non-sports content.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

mikerob wrote:It's difficult to justify a Sky Sports subscription just for rugby.

NowTV is an option for the occasional game or there are plenty of dodgy streaming services.

I was reading that some of the big US tech companies like Amazon may enter the bidding for the next round of English Premier League rights so BT may lose out as they are looking to scale back on what they spend on sports. Sky are looking to be less dependent on sports as well hence why they are hyping up GoT and other non-sports content.
The new model in the US is get as much sport on free to air as possible - look at the USPGA telling Sky where to go

They now know that the sports need exposure

Look at cricket in england. It's dying a death as it's all hidden behind a paywall

solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

I hear Netflix are looking at sport now as well.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Twitter also stream some of the PGA Tour golf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Neill_M wrote:Twitter also stream some of the PGA Tour golf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's the future business model
Sponsors not wanting to pay for minimal returns behind firewalls

Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Be a real fan and go to all the games ffs
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Kofi Annan wrote:Be a real fan and go to all the games ffs
No

scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Cancelled Sky and went with TalkTalk TV, getting all Sky Sports channels in SD for £8.75 a month for 18 months instead of the regular price of £38.75 pm
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.