Question on numbers….

Questions for the players, the management, the UAFC, the URSC or other supporters... Someone might answer you!! (and pigs might fly)

Moderator: Moderators

Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Question on numbers….

Post by Cockatrice »

Does anyone know the so called break down for rugby players in Ulster?

It has apparently gone up from something like 27,000 in the past few years to 35,000 currently with the apparent target being 42,000. Yet when I look at clubs across the province most are struggling to get a couple of teams out even clubs that in my day had 5,6 or even 7 teams.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Question on numbers….

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Cockatrice wrote:Does anyone know the so called break down for rugby players in Ulster?

It has apparently gone up from something like 27,000 in the past few years to 35,000 currently with the apparent target being 42,000. Yet when I look at clubs across the province most are struggling to get a couple of teams out even clubs that in my day had 5,6 or even 7 teams.
Cockers would this be the huge growth in the game that our CEO is so proud of?

I don't deride it in any shape or form, all growth is good growth in terms of active players. Of course you can prove any number of points with bald numbers, what you probably couldn't prove would be the numbers of adult male players being "healthy".

Then again, waddyeyeno?
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Sounds like a reclassification of season ticket holders as members of a rugby club if you ask me
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

The Ulster players have no idea how the breakdown works.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Dave wrote:The Ulster players have no idea how the breakdown works.
Well if they round up all the people working around Ravenhill, they'll find a big fella among them who knows a thing or two about recycling the ball.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

I'd hazard the huge increase is due to better counting and the large number of mini rugby sessions most clubs run now. In my day there were no players younger than u14 at most clubs.
Tighty
Initiate

Post by Tighty »

jean valjean wrote:I'd hazard the huge increase is due to better counting and the large number of mini rugby sessions most clubs run now. In my day there were no players younger than u14 at most clubs.
All of the above , plus women's teams, and rugby being played in more schools -male and female.

CT, I would share your perception in respect of the significant reduction in the number of active adult players playing now compared with previous years.

I would venture to guess that the vast majority of active posters on this site haven't been near a local rugby club this season.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Tighty wrote:
jean valjean wrote:I'd hazard the huge increase is due to better counting and the large number of mini rugby sessions most clubs run now. In my day there were no players younger than u14 at most clubs.
All of the above , plus women's teams, and rugby being played in more schools -male and female.

CT, I would share your perception in respect of the significant reduction in the number of active adult players playing now compared with previous years.

I would venture to guess that the vast majority of active posters on this site haven't been near a local rugby club this season.

I'd say you are so right you're dead on. Other than HWM of course, but probably not outside the bar. :thumleft:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Gerald the Mole
Warrior

Post by Gerald the Mole »

Allegedly 35k registered adult players , but that figure does not seem right.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

I note the IRFU states 153,000 registered players which I presume means at senior level.... although if so the figure of 35,000 for Ulster might even be considered a tad low.

At 35,000 that must work out at over 2,300 club teams playing every week..
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Cockatrice wrote:I note the IRFU states 153,000 registered players which I presume means at senior level.... although if so the figure of 35,000 for Ulster might even be considered a tad low.

If I'm a member at 2 clubs in Ulster and 1 in London. What am I?
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Russ wrote:
Cockatrice wrote:I note the IRFU states 153,000 registered players which I presume means at senior level.... although if so the figure of 35,000 for Ulster might even be considered a tad low.

Russ… I suspect according to Ulster that you're recorded as 2 players here in the province hence part of the problem.

I am now told that there are something in the region of only 4,500 players in Ulster having played rugby at club level this year which begs the question where are the missing 30,000. Before anyone jumps in with youth grade etc I believe there are separate stats for youth grade rugby..
Gerald the Mole
Warrior

Post by Gerald the Mole »

Russ wrote:

Being a member and being a registered player is two different things are they not? You can't be registered in two unions unless one of those teams is a university and your a current student, and only then can you play for the university ,

Russ , are you in arrears with your club subs? If not your earning too much money son.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Gerald the Mole wrote:
Russ wrote:

Being a member and being a registered player is two different things are they not? You can't be registered in two unions unless one of those teams is a university and your a current student, and only then can you play for the university ,

Russ , are you in arrears with your club subs? If not your earning too much money son.
We always feel like we should be earning more

I'm also registered as a full time student

All about those international tickets
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Russ wrote:
Gerald the Mole wrote:
Russ wrote:

We always feel like we should be earning more

I'm also registered as a full time student

All about those international tickets
He is also a £3 labour party member.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?