Early Engage

Questions for the players, the management, the UAFC, the URSC or other supporters... Someone might answer you!! (and pigs might fly)

Moderator: Moderators

ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Early Engage

Post by ruckover »

Watching the Highlanders vs Blues this morning in the Super Rugby, and the Highlanders are attacking relentlessly for the first seven minutes. They get a penalty on the 5m line and go for a scrum to keep up the pressure, but at the first go of asking they are penalised for an early engage, and the Blues were able to clear.

I remember back in our game vs Castres over at the Stade Pierre Antoine we were on the verge of getting a penalty try until we were pinged for an early engage and the chance was gone.

Should there be a warning before a free-kick is conceded regarding early engagements (i.e. a side engages early and is warned first instead of immediately penalised)? In most cases sides are only marginally out and it can spoil a good attacking chance.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
OneMore
Warrior Chief

Re: Early Engage

Post by OneMore »

Nope. No warnings. If you infringe, you should get penalised. No one makes the team engage early, they should wait for the command.

In my opinion.
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Re: Early Engage

Post by Setanta »

Don't totally agree as the opposing Team quite often bluff and cause the early Motion and also the Referee quite regularly bottles out of awarding a Penalty try by using this 'get out'. This is unfortunately yet another area where the Referee can quite legitimately go one of two ways. Who would be a Rugby Referee!?
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!