Lions legends at Belfast City Hall

Questions for the players, the management, the UAFC, the URSC or other supporters... Someone might answer you!! (and pigs might fly)

Moderator: Moderators

cables
Lord Chancellor

Re: Lions legends at Belfast City Hall

Post by cables »

I had thought that perhaps Matthews was not an Ulster player in 1989 but I believe he still was.

I have recorded Matthews playing for Ulster at the end of 1990 whilst playing for the Wanderers Club.

Still puzzled by the '22'.
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

cables - Have you identified the missing players yet (or comment on my suggestions?) or have you lost interest in that now you know where the discrepency in numbers is (even if you can't reconcile those numbers)
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

cables wrote:I had thought that perhaps Matthews was not an Ulster player in 1989 but I believe he still was.

I have recorded Matthews playing for Ulster at the end of 1990 whilst playing for the Wanderers Club.
Is that explained by the fact that playing for one's province was still "representative" at that time no matter what a player's club affiliation?
cables wrote:Still puzzled by the '22'.
It's the metric version of what used to be called the "25" :lol:
I'm not arguing -
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:cables - Have you identified the missing players yet (or comment on my suggestions?) or have you lost interest in that now you know where the discrepency in numbers is (even if you can't reconcile those numbers)
It was always about the numbers for me - not a lot new there. :wink:

Davidson, Bowe and Ferris are definite. I was talking to Ronnie Lamont, I think last summer, and I don't think he is in the photo.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

That's probably it then - it's been a couple of years at least since I last saw him. He hadn't changed much in the preceding 20 years, i doubt if he's changed that much in the last couple.

I hope there is no sinister reason for him missing out on this, he always was a decent auld spud.
I'm not arguing -
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Is that explained by the fact that playing for one's province was still "representative" at that time no matter what a player's club affiliation?
cables wrote:Still puzzled by the '22'.
It's the metric version of what used to be called the "25" :lol:
Would you believe that I had a wee smile on my face as I typed '22'. :wink:

Yes I believe to the other query. Without looking it up that continued into the professional era for a short time. Humph, Johns, Bell come to mind as I type but I would have to check to be certain or to add others.
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

The missing ones were Buzz, tommy and 1F. Ronnie Lamont was there. Nigel Carr clearly considers himself to have been a Lions player and would have toured but for the Apartheid issue. Phil Matthews wasn't there. Have to say it was a very good night. Gusher brought them up to the stage in batches of 6 starting with the youngest and interviewed them. They all had an amusing story or two to tell. The oldest guys are amazing. Jack Kyle is 88, I think and Jimmy Nelson (still the only Lions forward to score two tries in a test) is 90. Both are clear as bells though getting fairly frail physically. Legends all.
Bo***cks to Brexit
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Jack Kyle is 86, but yes, I agree he is sharp as a pin and still talks extremely well. :salut:
I'm not arguing -
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Late in the day of course but, yes definitely Nigel Carr who I grew up a street or so away from and knew from very early days.

Nigel was one of the unluckiest players ever to pull on a white or green jumper. Was a man who but for his injuries could have been an Irish Caps record holder and a magnificent 7 - the type of which we could still happily use today. Of course for a time Ards had Carr & Matthews in their back row amongst a crowd of tough hallions in the front 5 & a certain Brian McLaughlin trying to get a place.

Why so unlucky? A trail of injuries that he appeared to have overcome only to be hurt in a bomb blast when Lord Justice Gibson & his wife were murdered. Nigel, Doc Irwin & Chipper Rainey were unlucky to be travelling in the other direction to an Ireland session at the same time as the bomb exploded. Chipper was propelled into the back of Nigel's seat crushing his leg against the dashboard as I recall - end of career.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Indeed, and to say Nige isnt a lion because he didnt tour is a bit harsh in his circumstances.

IIRC theres a pic of him in the red shirt in the clubhouse in newtownards, a lion in my book
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

I think the 22nd Lion may be Roger Young who has lived in Safferland for a long time?
Bo***cks to Brexit
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

R.M. Young is on the list of 21 'official Lions' on page 1.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

But was in the belly laugh list ?
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

ROUNDUP:

Left to right of the photo on page 1:
Back Row: Hewitt, Ringland, Howe, Carr, Irwin, Mckinney, Gibson
Middle Row: Patterson, Milliken, Kennedy, Lamont (with glasses on!), Hunter, Smith, Pedlow
Front Row: Nelson, Millar, Deputy Lord Mayor, Kyle, McBride

Missing: Young, Davidson, Bowe, Ferris