Players retiring--what next??

Questions for the players, the management, the UAFC, the URSC or other supporters... Someone might answer you!! (and pigs might fly)

Moderator: Moderators

Jockster
Squire

Players retiring--what next??

Post by Jockster »

The Hoax post from Gooner about Danielli retiring reminded me of something I'd been wondering for a while...

What do rugby players do or how are they prepared for life after retiring? Obviously some become media stars or coaches, whilst others combine playing with Uni etc to forge out a career afterwards.

However combining professional rugby and uni must be very difficult and wouldn't suit everybody.

Is this going to be a problem for many players in the professional rugby era?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Players retiring--what next??

Post by Rooster »

Jockster wrote:The Hoax post from Gooner about Danielli retiring reminded me of something I'd been wondering for a while...

What do rugby players do or how are they prepared for life after retiring? Obviously some become media stars or coaches, whilst others combine playing with Uni etc to forge out a career afterwards.

However combining professional rugby and uni must be very difficult and wouldn't suit everybody.

Big part of the agents work is sorting something like that out.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
29xThePain
Squire

Post by 29xThePain »

Many players have degrees already, and many players also study part time, through the Uni of Ulster I think.

Obviously Humph has his degree in law, Bryn Cunningham has Cornerflag, Andy Maxwell has his own bar in Florida...
Follow me on Twitter
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

The Irish Rugby Union Players Association (www.irupa.ie) is an organisation set up to represent the interests of pro players in Ireland and they have an advisor to help players plan and transition to a career after they finish playing.
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

I read the other day that O'Loughlin has a Master of Finance, and is completing his CFA level 2, so he should have an option or two hopefully..
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Post by backawaygoonahead »

29xThePain wrote:Many players have degrees already, and many players also study part time, through the Uni of Ulster I think.

Obviously Humph has his degree in law, Bryn Cunningham has Cornerflag, Andy Maxwell has his own bar in Florida...
Is the Maxwell one true? If so I wonder how much protection money he pays to the "Grey Mafia", those ancient feckers don't take prisoners. :wink:

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Bullshit: the art of making the idiotic sound sensible.

Times I just sits and thinks, and times I just sits.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

darkside lightside wrote:I read the other day that O'Loughlin has a Master of Finance, and is completing his CFA level 2, so he should have an option or two hopefully..
They need a few Masters of Finance down South :D
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

backawaygoonahead wrote:
29xThePain wrote:Many players have degrees already, and many players also study part time, through the Uni of Ulster I think.

Is the Maxwell one true? If so I wonder how much protection money he pays to the "Grey Mafia", those ancient feckers don't take prisoners. :wink:
It's true
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Jockster wrote:The Hoax post from Gooner about Danielli retiring reminded me of something I'd been wondering for a while...

The post by Gooner was a HOAX????? :shock: :shock: :shock:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right