Stand up fer the Ulstermen in London

Get together, pool resources, share information on everything from trips to meeting places and social arrangements.

Moderator: Moderators

mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Stand up fer the Ulstermen in London

Post by mikerob »

For Ulster exiles in London - time to sort out arrangements to watch the Biarritz game this Saturday.

I just contacted Waxy O'Connors and was told they won't be showing the game as they no longer have Sky Sports.

A suggestion is a pub called The Lyric which is recommended in the munsterfans.com website. I've called the pub and they told me they will be showing the games (the Munster game is on after the Ulster game).

Details are:-

The Lyric, 37 Great Windmill Street, London, W1D 7LU

(http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/ ... Lyric/Soho)

It's very near Piccadilly Circus, off Shaftesbury Avenue

If anyone has other suggestions, please let me know - but the other options seem to be either the Famous 3 Kings in West Kensington or another plastic paddy pub in the centre.

Otherwise, please pass the word on and hope to see loads of Ulster fans on Saturday (3pm kick-off)
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

Hi Mike - yes I was in Waxy's on Saturday for the Leinster game, and had to go next door to O'Neill's because they weren't showing it.

I'm up for giving the Lyric a go - although it sounds quite small! In the worst case, we can always head to O'Neills. I'll be there with a couple of mates,

All the best..
jamesie
Lord Chancellor

Post by jamesie »

the 'scarlet pimpernel' returns!!! :shock: i'm up for either. o'neills is quite a good craic for the rugby though and likely to ge the biggest turnout i would've thought?

i have to see a man about a dog mid-morning/early afternoon so will let y'all know :roll:

WTF waxy's not having sky!!!??? :shock:
aarons
Lord Chancellor

Post by aarons »

:shock: We thought you were off to France Jamesie?

Waxy's do seem to have stopped promoting Heineken games on their website. But they made a really big thing of showing Munster's first game.

Frankly, I imagine they make enough money without paying for Sky. And the Waxy's in Glasgow, when I lived up there, never showed sport.

Same old cronies in this thread, incidentally, probably worth putting something on the other board.
jamesie
Lord Chancellor

Post by jamesie »

was hoping to buy a spare ticket on the back of some of me da's mates that were going but fell through :evil:

i should be about in the afternoon, so is it lyric or o'neills?! :shock:
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

My vote would be to try The Lyric to see what it is like. It seems to be a favourite venue from munsterfans.com and hopefully that is a good sign.

I don't think there will be dozens of people and I think it would be more craic to "take over" a smaller place than be a side-show in somewhere bigger.

Also, an income boost from Ulster rugby fans drinking means more for smaller individually run pubs so we could stand a better chance of striking up a relationship with the manager to show future games - unlike the corporate places like Waxy's who haven't bothered with rugby for the last couple of weeks.

If it turns out to be rubbish then "Plan B" is O'Neills - the one on Wardour Street which is about two minutes walk from The Lyric.
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

indeed "they seek him here, they seek him there.."

Aaron - do I detect a weakening in your "watch-at-home" stance??

go on, go on, go on, aw go on etc ad nauseum
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Indeed!

Only respect for email confidentiality prevents me from posting the pathetic excuse that you sent me :)
aarons
Lord Chancellor

Post by aarons »

Ahem. I'll think about it..
fermain
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by fermain »

don't stay in on my account aaron. Rooster's sorting it out as well...
:red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red:
Save lives, become an organ donor!!
aarons
Lord Chancellor

Post by aarons »

Wasn't fermain, Don't worry. I can set a timer. My excuse is that I've got a party that I'm obliged to go to on Sat night, and I don't want to turn up hammered...
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

fermain wrote:don't stay in on my account aaron. Rooster's sorting it out as well...
:?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Well we had about 5 Ulster fans turn up at The Lyric to see the Biarritz game + assorted afternoon drinkers and early arriving Munster fans. The no-shows know who they are!

The Lyric wasn't ideal as the landlord insisted in flicking over channels a few times each half to see what the footy scores were, but no one else in the pub other than him seemed to be that interested in the Nationwide Conference North results.... however at least he showed the game - unlike O'Neills in Wardour street where they were showing "highlights" of the GAA/Aussie Rules games.

He did say he would show Ulster games depending what else was on at the time and to give him a call in advance to confirm.

Anyone interested in watching the Ulster v Ospreys game next Friday night + any other suggestions for venues?
aarons
Lord Chancellor

Post by aarons »

As a pathetic no-show, I'll declare now that I can't make the Ospreys game as I'm working.. :(
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

I will do my level best to make Friday night, but don't have any ideas for alternate venue..

Nice to meet you Mike, incidentally! did you make your way back home ok??