La Rochelle Away 22 Oct

Get together, pool resources, share information on everything from trips to meeting places and social arrangements.

Moderator: Moderators

Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Re: La Rochelle Away 22 Oct

Post by Neill_M »

Neill_M wrote:Any early thoughts on the meeting point/pub for this weekend? Obviously it is a new trip, but has anyone been there on holiday etc?

A very quick google search brought up 3 possibilities - The General Humbert's, McNultys and the Famous Pub. All claimed to show rugby etc.
As already stated The General Humbert's opens at 6pm except for Saturdays when it is 2pm. McNultys which is also down a side street opens from 4pm except for Saturdays when it is 2pm. The modestly named The Famous Pub sits in the Vieux Port area and is open from 09:30 every day.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Have posted on the Gloucester forum to try and get info:

http://www.rugb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6416

Some of the advice so far, seems to be a good spot:

We stayed in the Novotel which is a 10 minute walk to the cente of the town. The best bar is the General Humbert which does an “OK” pint of Guinness. There are lots of harbour side restaurants and bars, can be a bit pricey for the privilege of location, but hey, it’s a good weekend.

I suggest booking a taxi to the ground, from the harbour it’s a good 45 minute walk, but book early as traffic can be heavy and taxis at a premium.

You'll be guaranteed a warm welcome in the Humbert. The manager is a very hospitable bloke and even gave us free tickets to the game.

Great town. I went with the Gloucester supporters KSM group, and we stayed at Hotel St Nicholas.... literally 100metres from the Humberts bar, and close to the centre. Good hotel, used to rugby visitors. It's hard to get a taxi to pick you up from the ground, but it's only a 30 minute walk downhill back to the centre. Bars around the port are more pricey than those in the back streets. One of those back streets has numerous excellent restaurants.

Cafe de la Paix in Place Verdun is one of the best Parisian cafes outside Paris, not open on Sundays though. If you are driving Place Verdun has an excellent underground car park right in the centre of town. Christopher Coutanceau , Plage de la Concurrence, has two Michelin stars and was excellent this August if you are into fine dining.

Bars in the ground are plentiful and they've a massive bbq pit in the corner of the stadium that serves the best merguez and Toulouse hot dogs and fries...Enjoy
waggonsroll
Initiate

Post by waggonsroll »

Anyone interested in scoping out La Rochelle, their match against Racing is on sky now. Currently 6 - 3 to La Rochelle.

Sent from my Lenovo A7600-F using Tapatalk
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

La rochelle playing some good stuff at quins and looking the best side in the group already.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Worried about our wee pack away next week. Plus we have a nine day turnaround. A lot can go wrong in that time.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Attractive match 17-24 at half-time. La Rochelle appear to score a load and concede some number less. Ulster's greatest chance of a bonus point looks like 4 tries rather than a LBP, but we could be monstered.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Quinns are an AIL side (not the Belfast one).
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

The Aviva prem is in free fall. Awful league.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Brett Herron's wee brother is struggling.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

McCall verses Antonio. Discuss.

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

jean valjean wrote:McCall verses Antonio. Discuss.

Diddies will sort the big fecker out
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

jean valjean wrote:McCall verses Antonio. Discuss.

Looked like a wee boy against wooly jumper last night.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

I have every faith diddies will give it his all. It will be an education for him. As said earlier our best bet will be a dry day and aim to get 4 tries, but this being their first home game in the champions cup it could get messy.

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Will vdm be available?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Dave wrote:Will vdm be available?
Wouldn't play him against those animals as a first game back from injury
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best