In memory of cables

Get together, pool resources, share information on everything from trips to meeting places and social arrangements.

Moderator: Moderators

fermain
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

In memory of cables

Post by fermain »

As a lasting memory of cables, we intend to make a page, navigable from the left hand side menu that will take you to a page dedicated to the man himself. Once this is complete, we will also link to his many posts, which tells a story about a man and his dedication to Ulster rugby, someone who loved to get involved and give something back to the community he enjoyed being in.

We have also set up a Just Giving page, linked to CRY, Cardiac Risk in the Young, which was the avatar cables used for his profile on the board. We have done so with the blessing of his family who think it is an appropriate way to remember Stanley who made his presence felt beyond this messageboard. Please take the time to give generously.

https://www.justgiving.com/cables
:red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red:
Save lives, become an organ donor!!
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: In memory of cables

Post by pwrmoore »

Indeed. :salut:
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Excellent. Think this is exactly what most of us here wanted
and a fitting and lasting tribute.
Gone but never forgotten :salut:
Image Image
If You Have To Ask....You Don't Understand
29xThePain
Squire

Post by 29xThePain »

Start a new job next Monday so will donate to CRY when I get paid. A fitting tribute to a great man! :salut:
Follow me on Twitter
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

:salut:
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
ali c
Warrior

Post by ali c »

I've come late to this as I've not been on the boards recently. Very sorry to hear this sad news. Cables once auctioned off (on this very forum) a signed rugby shirt I won and made a lot of cash for the NI Hospice. I'd never have made the amount of money for that shirt he did. He was a true gentleman.
TheElephantMan
Steward

Post by TheElephantMan »

Must admit,its still very strange knowing Cables is no longer with us,bless him.
OnTheWestCarbuncle
Novice

Post by OnTheWestCarbuncle »

I have wanted to post for some time but never quite got there. I firstly would like to thank the members of this message board for their immense support. In my quieter moments I return to the In memory of cables Thread in all but name. Some days it brings delight some days it brings a tear to my eye. (I was a 17st 10oz tight head prop who became a 15st blindside flanker so not that soft.) it seems the people on hear just "got" my Dad. I believe the reason why is because he felt so relaxed he could be himself. These were his people, even though he knew only a few outside of this medium. He was inquisitive, once asking me about LKOTP position in life outside this forum as he was intuitive enough to realise from his posting that there may be some connection with me. ROOSTER, Cap'n, Kimble, Cockatrice et all, you knew aspects of him better than I did. I hope you feel enriched by it.

5 league wins, home HEC win, all's well, but last night I was denied entry to "The Usual Spot" . A number of men, not personal friends before this point, just men who have stood beside me and him for years explained to the steward why I should be admitted without once using any obvious excuse, they simply told him I was "born and reared there" and I would be coming in. No further question was asked and I was back in the fold. They did not do that just for me. His spirit still looms large on the prom.

Anyway, it is a complete kick in he ballacks but you have to get on with it.

Thank you boys who all have helped.

SOC
SUFTU
Cables
Ulster Rugby statistician and corrector of journalists / programme editors / CEOs (Moondance2012)
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

S of C.
It's not for me to comment on behalf of this entire
forum but it is safe to say that many here were indeed
"enriched" and privileged. His "spirit" still looms large
around these parts also.
TC.
Mac.
Image Image
If You Have To Ask....You Don't Understand
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

AtTheUsualSpot wrote:ROOSTER, Cap'n, Kimble, Cockatrice et all, you knew aspects of him better than I did. I hope you feel enriched by it.
I wouldn't dare to speak for the others ...... normally, ...... but on this occasion, I think I can - and you know that the answer is in the affirmative.

The number of times I've wanted to check a stat, or just share a thought .........

Even though there were times we maybe didn't see each other or talk for weeks, it was still reassuring to know he was only a PM, text or phone call away, or the chance to catch up with him at Ravenhill.

I still miss him dearly, and still find myself looking out for him around "the tent". :salut:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
promsandwich
Steward

Post by promsandwich »

SOC, every time I go to the ground this year I miss seeing him at the usual spot. I have been mightily impressed with your ability to go to the games and not portray any sadness at his absence although I'm sure you feel it all the time, not only at the games.

I find myself turning round during matches and seeing people in the crowd from behind with a jacket similar to his and a hat and every so often I think it is him before I remember he is no longer with us.

I also think of him every time that someone on a thread asks a question like "Is this our longest ever unbeaten run" because I know that he would have come up not just with the answer to the question, but details of the top 5 longest runs, who we played, what the score was and who was in the team! Not only that but you would have known straight away that he was right. Others with great knowledge of the club proffer answers with near certainty that they are right, many of them miss him too when offering those views, but only one man had all the answers ( or as damn near all as matters ).

Cables is gone but not forgotten. See you later. >EF :salut: :red:
OnTheWestCarbuncle
Novice

Post by OnTheWestCarbuncle »

Yes, with a foresight none would have credited him with it seems the sneaky bugger left us just before a season where records, firsts, the last time when, etc are more important than ever before. I would call on someone else to Stand Up and fill the statistical void as I have no idea who to ask now and am wandering around in a daze eg is this our greatest Irish representation in my lifetime? If Cables didn't know off the top of his head he would not have rested until he did know. I have a feeling his spirit is presiding over the most immense season in the history of Ulster and in May I will be standing somewhere in tatters tears tripping me asking why could you not hang on for one more year you old b*****d!
SUFTU
Cables
Ulster Rugby statistician and corrector of journalists / programme editors / CEOs (Moondance2012)
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

AtTheUsualSpot wrote:I have a feeling his spirit is presiding over the most immense season in the history of Ulster and in May I will be standing somewhere in tatters tears tripping me asking why could you not hang on for one more year you old b*****d!
I'll come and join you for a few Grouse and tears
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

AtTheUsualSpot wrote:Yes, with a foresight none would have credited him with it seems the sneaky bugger left us just before a season where records, firsts, the last time when, etc are more important than ever before. I would call on someone else to Stand Up and fill the statistical void as I have no idea who to ask now and am wandering around in a daze eg is this our greatest Irish representation in my lifetime? If Cables didn't know off the top of his head he would not have rested until he did know. I have a feeling his spirit is presiding over the most immense season in the history of Ulster and in May I will be standing somewhere in tatters tears tripping me asking why could you not hang on for one more year you old b*****d!
:salut: :salut: :salut: :salut: :salut: :salut:
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

AtTheUsualSpot wrote: I have a feeling his spirit is presiding over the most immense season in the history of Ulster and in May I will be standing somewhere in tatters tears tripping me asking why could you not hang on for one more year you old b*****d!
Writing about your dad in Stand Up, I wrote "It is poignant to recall that Twickers turned out to be his last match ever, watching the team that he loved playing at the pinnacle of European Rugby once again. It would have been fitting if this send-off had yielded the same result as our previous European Cup final in 1999, but alas it wasn’t to be."

At the time I thought Ulster had probably gone as far as we would for at least some time - I suspect you are right though and, whether we go one better this season or not, it is measuring up to be something special. It's just such a pity that he's not watching with us rather than celestially presiding over it. :salut:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right