UR Carol Service

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Re: UR Carol Service

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Dave wrote:A white witch would be more appropriate.
Shirley if it's for turning on Xmas lights, a light switch would be more appropriate?

BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Dave wrote:A white witch would be more appropriate.
Shirley if it's for turning on Xmas lights, a light switch would be more appropriate?
ImageImage
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Deraless wrote:I think the position was from a long time ago; pre-Logan and possibly Humph related?
Definitely pre-Logan, but I doubt it had anything to do with Humph, unless he had that much influence in his playing days.

In Mike Reid era, it was held at Knock Press Button B church, but SLogan moved it into Ravers, which I thought was a decent move. Now clearly MR didn't have that option, but by bringing it into Ravers, it effectively made it non-denominational.

I suspect that at least some UR fans who would like to attend a Carol Service might not have beencomfortable with it being in a Presbyterian Church in East Belfast.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:Grumpy, Christmas is not a Christian festival in anything but name. It is the mid-winter feast but more relevantly these days, a huge commercial nonsense a time when people put themselves in debt to worship "the latest big thing" which will conveniently be superceded within a neat 11 months tops by the new "the latest big thing".
Did you get your "Sarcasm Bypass" operation in Spain Baggy, or is that why you came home, to get it on the NHS. :lol:
Dave wrote:Christmas is a celebration of gluttony, selfishness and greed. I'd say Jesus would have long distanced himself from it if he was alive today.
waddy'a mean by "if"? >EW
It may be due to the fact that I am laid low by your stinking British climate, nose, chest, throat all in rag order. I have to confess to being somewhat discombobulated, physically and mentally, knowing I have a further 5 weeks of suffering to come.

The 14th January can't come too soon, I'm told it was a pleasant 25 degrees at home yesterday. Mind you the 6 week winter is due in January to lateish February, it might get as low as 10 degrees. :pale: :shake: :shaking:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BaggyTrousers wrote:It may be due to the fact that I am laid low by your stinking British climate, nose, chest, throat all in rag order. I have to confess to being somewhat discombobulated, physically and mentally, knowing I have a further 5 weeks of suffering to come.
Ah, you weak continentals coming over here and bringing yer Spanish Flu with ya.

Clear aff back whence ya came and leave our British climate to us hardy boys wot can stand it. :lol:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Gary wrote:Whether or not you think we should have a chaplain, (I don't), surely it's up to UR to make that decision. Why should the FIRFU interfere in something like that?
A fair question to which I have no satisfactory answer so I'll just say
:party: :party: :party:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

I like the position of a chaplain in any big organisation, maybe even a humanist chaplain like they have at QUB and other places. The chaplain sits outside the power structures and has the role of looking after the welfare of the employees, not the employer. Unions used to do this; HR departments are sort of supposed to do this but both are compromised.A good chaplain says, 'People are not just 'human resources' and success is not all about profit or trophies.'
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

solidarity wrote:I like the position of a chaplain in any big organisation, maybe even a humanist chaplain like they have at QUB and other places. The chaplain sits outside the power structures and has the role of looking after the welfare of the employees, not the employer. Unions used to do this; HR departments are sort of supposed to do this but both are compromised.A good chaplain says, 'People are not just 'human resources' and success is not all about profit or trophies.'
Some sympathy with that Solids, however, I cannot get away from my opinion that religion is an insidious instrument of power of the very worse sort - notwithstanding that many of its practitioners and adherents are undeniably decent spuds.

When I was just a lad, starting out as a usurer, organisations had personnel depts and personnel managers. The change to Human Resources more adequately described the truth of how large organisations viewed their employees. Prior to that, myself and almost every other employee I worked with felt that we were genuinely part of something and mattered to its operation. The truth became clear before too many moons had come and gone.

So to cease the ramble and come to the point, in that crystal clear realisation that one is simply a number, I can't be doing with the falsehood that your employer gives a rat's fart for your wellbeing that the purely ornamental appointment such as a chaplain, decent chap or not, would bring to the equation. Simply put, I've not met many collaredbastards who I would trust to maintain the sanctity of the confessional with one's employers. Indeed, after 30 seconds thought, exactly one in total.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Their might be more practicing Catholics Than Prods on the playing staff these days, almost certainly more than any one of the multitude of Pradestant sects. Maybe they should get a priest in. What could possibly go wrong :lol:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Don't get me started Merv FFFS, collared paedophilebastards.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

big mervyn wrote:Their might be more practicing Catholics Than Prods on the playing staff these days, almost certainly more than any one of the multitude of Pradestant sects.
Hadn't thought of that Merv! You could well be right, at least in the first xv. Funny old world.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

solidarity wrote:
big mervyn wrote:Their might be more practicing Catholics Than Prods on the playing staff these days, almost certainly more than any one of the multitude of Pradestant sects.
Hadn't thought of that Merv! You could well be right, at least in the first xv. Funny old world.
Yes chap but the fact that the proddies don't need to practice says something.
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

Were there any provisions made for the Devil Worshippers in the squad? Many amongst the LGBTS feel they have been ignored again. The PC babies are outraged.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Tender wrote:Were there any provisions made for the Devil Worshippers in the squad? Many amongst the LGBTS feel they have been ignored again. The PC babies are outraged.
Sadly rugger pros tend to be strangers to the divil's music and tend to listen to a load of boring auld shyte.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

True. I stopped reading those Vox Pop Q&A pages in the programme.
Most of the music, film choices and Fav cheat meals had me face palming. The programme makers aren’t doing the players any favours with those questions. Most of our lot seem to be at Wendyballist level.
Thank feck the don’t ask them what was the last book they read...
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.