UR Carol Service

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

flatpass
Novice

Re: UR Carol Service

Post by flatpass »

Not a decent decision Baggy. Once again UR fails to stand up to the IRFU. The chaplain did great work round the Nevin Spence family tragedy and has done excellent quiet pastoral work behind the scenes with long-term injured players, and other bereaved families. The dictat of the IRFU is out of step with the direction of many sports clubs throughout UK. So far as I know it is an honorary position.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

From all that I hear, the (former) chaplain is a thoroughly god guy who has helped a number of players and families through dark days. I've met him and been impressed, myself. He's far from the caricature of the fundie Prod or Mercan evangelist.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

flatpass wrote:Not a decent decision Baggy. Once again UR fails to stand up to the IRFU. The chaplain did great work round the Nevin Spence family tragedy and has done excellent quiet pastoral work behind the scenes with long-term injured players, and other bereaved families. The dictat of the IRFU is out of step with the direction of many sports clubs throughout UK. So far as I know it is an honorary position.
Disagree completely. There's no shortage of sky pilots in this country, many of them a stone's throw from the ground, who would no doubt be happy to support anybody who felt they needed it. No place for it within the club. The non-atheist players/staff aren't necessarily of the same religion anyway.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

I'm sure he could still go if he wanted?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

I'm sure he could still go if he wanted?

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Deraless wrote:I'm sure he could still go if he wanted?

… and those who feel the need could still go to him. An established position within the set up is frankly an embarrassment.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Frankly I'm surprised that there haven't been calls to cancel all celebration or marking of this Christian Festival.

(notwithstanding that it is being held at the wrong time of year).
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I don't dispute that the guy may well have had a suitable skillset for his position and may well be a thoroughly good and decent person, I wouldn't doubt that he has helped people in sad situations as Flatpass & Solids suggest. I mean no harm or disrespect to the individual.

However, that is not really the point. You could suggest that if his position is honorary, why boot him? Well, I can only hope but not really believe, that the FIRFUCs are attempting to sweep the associated remnants of the Part-time rugby, fulltime Godbothering former CEO, Shame SLogan out of the door.

My own position is that I find the notion of a chaplain at a professional sports club archaic and in a modern world where religious adherents are in a minority in western countries, a thing of the past.

Grumpy, Christmas is not a Christian festival in anything but name. It is the mid-winter feast but more relevantly these days, a huge commercial nonsense a time when people put themselves in debt to worship "the latest big thing" which will conveniently be superceded within a neat 11 months tops by the new "the latest big thing".

In Spain it is a minor celebration with the th'ee Kings on 6th January a much bigger deal, when the little Spanish niños get their presents, which must be something of an epiphany. See what I did there?

Easter, of course, the biggest Christian festival by a huge distance with a full week & more in some places of religious events, parades, masses, the whole 9 yards.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Christmas is a celebration of gluttony, selfishness and greed. I'd say Jesus would have long distanced himself from it if he was alive today.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Grumpy, Christmas is not a Christian festival in anything but name. It is the mid-winter feast but more relevantly these days, a huge commercial nonsense a time when people put themselves in debt to worship "the latest big thing" which will conveniently be superceded within a neat 11 months tops by the new "the latest big thing".
Did you get your "Sarcasm Bypass" operation in Spain Baggy, or is that why you came home, to get it on the NHS. :lol:
Dave wrote:Christmas is a celebration of gluttony, selfishness and greed. I'd say Jesus would have long distanced himself from it if he was alive today.
waddy'a mean by "if"? >EW
I'm not arguing -
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

I think the position was from a long time ago; pre-Logan and possibly Humph related?

Anyone of that nature could seek solace in their own church person.

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:Grumpy, Christmas is not a Christian festival in anything but name. It is the mid-winter feast but more relevantly these days, a huge commercial nonsense a time when people put themselves in debt to worship "the latest big thing" which will conveniently be superceded within a neat 11 months tops by the new "the latest big thing".
Did you get your "Irony Bypass" operation in Spain Baggy, or is that why you came home, to get it on the NHS. Image
Dave wrote:Christmas is a celebration of gluttony, selfishness and greed. I'd say Jesus would have long distanced himself from it if he was alive today.
waddy'a mean by "if"? >EW
It's a conditional clause. IF he is alive, I haven't heard of him switching on any Xmas lights anywhere so I would guess he is not pleased with his birthday celebrations. Unlike Santa who is definitely alive.
Gary
Chancellor to the King
Location: Carrickfergus and Odessa. (Not at the same time. That would be silly.)

Post by Gary »

Whether or not you think we should have a chaplain, (I don't), surely it's up to UR to make that decision. Why should the FIRFU interfere in something like that?
Soldiers who wanna be heroes number practically zero, but there are millions who wanna be civilians
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

A white witch would be more appropriate.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Dave wrote:A white witch would be more appropriate.
Shirley if it's for turning on Xmas lights, a light switch would be more appropriate?
I'm not arguing -