Alster Paupers v Caadiff (Crimbo on Hold)

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Re: Alster Paupers v Caadiff (Crimbo on Hold)

Post by Bart S »

After Lowry, Hume is the guy who has impressed me the most of the young guys. Thought he did well today again.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Pretty grim stuff, I have to confess that I have not been in practice guldering and didn't all evening, I found absolutely nothing to gulder about. A woeful game, brightened admittedly in the 2nd half and amongst those who improved the Ulster prospects was McPhillips, I have said for weeks I'm struggling to be positive about Burns and after that, I can hold my tongue no longer. McPhillips has more about him than Burns, that is simply a fact. Burns has little or no depth to his kicking, he does not strike the ball as well as McPhillips and his line kicking is markedly inferior. I also despair of how frequently he simply gifts the ball to the opposition with those little-dinked kicks over the top that we appear to regain about once in 6 attempts.

That said, neither of them really look good attacking the line, nor do we appear to have any ideas outside Cooney when there is no Cave or no Addison. McCloskey has been playing well but he is not an "ideas" player, what you see is what you get.

Henry appears to be a nice fellow who is enjoying NI but it appears more a vacation than a rugby experience, he reminds me of signs in the National Parks in Seppoland, "Leave no trace".

So for me the only question of interest in the backs is this: why are we not seeing Lowry at 10? The other two will never make great 10s, Lowry allegedly may do, Burns is a guy who tries but appears to me to be better than Barbara much in the same way as Rodders Ah Christ was better than Hond. You'd sell both in a BOGOF deal if you could. As a fellow sage said to me today, what sort of guy talks of international rugby before he's even played for a province, even if you thought you were that good, it's dumb to say it.

Up front, Rory again showed why he is still, even in his rugby dotage, by miles the foremost hooker in this vile country, certainly emphatically so in the vile wee statelet. When he and Nagle appeared the maul suddenly looked the part. Marty Moore looks far from the new breed of props who make good metres around the pitch but thankfully the scrum has stopped going backwards as it did earlier in the season, that's a start.

Some may recall I suggested Nagle may be useful after his first brief cameo, I am sticking to that, he could be one of those odd signings that pleases nobody, but actually works. How he was not penalised at the lineout that came just before Cooney's final pen I don't know but it reminded me of the night he roasted the Ulster lineout whilst in red and looked like a guy with a future.

Anyway, one freakish try off Tredders knee and not much else that ever looked like a try but a win is a win. It'll have to do. NOt one to create much optimism about next week .............still it's only the European Cup. :stout:
Last edited by BaggyTrousers on Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Bart S wrote:After Lowry, Hume is the guy who has impressed me the most of the young guys. Thought he did well today again.
10. Lowry
13. Hume
15. Addison

When is Gilroy fit again?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

BaggyTrousers wrote:a win is a win. It'll have to do. NOt one to create much optimism about next week .............
That seems to be the mantra this season. Not quite sure how we've managed 7 wins and a draw from 12 games but I'll take it. 5 from 5 for me as so far. I've only missed the Connacht game at home, and won't be travelling any time soon :thumleft:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

When PJ and SO were exiled everybody with brains knew Ulster were going to struggle then came the great wad of retirements of the stars of yesteryear including the backup scrum half ( he never set the world on fire -- but you knew what what he had to offer was better than anything else available) . Hills then became Mountains .

For my self this year when Ulster step on the pitch home or away , bar the South African Sides , I have doubts of a win ie every game is loseable .

I sense that those who have stopped attending ,and those that do ,have similiar opinions . Take yesterday as an example with the score at 13 - 12 for Ulster and even at 16 -12 with Ulster kicking away possession did anyone feel confident of a win in the last 10 minutes . The cheeks were clenched and the asshole puckered .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
222toHounslow
Warrior Chief

Post by 222toHounslow »

The atmosphere was dire but is it up to the fans when bugger all is happening on the pitch to get excited about?

The Bellend Buglers are an embarrassment
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

222toHounslow wrote:The atmosphere was dire but is it up to the fans when bugger all is happening on the pitch to get excited about?

I'm not sure who enjoys the band, terrible.

Incidentally according to the Ulster rugby website there was an attendance of 13,407 yesterday.... highest home attendance this season. I wonder how many of that were P7s or the "activated" additional season ticket.

The fact the crowd was so flat given the attendance has been its highest all season is a worry. The 3pm Saturday kick off also allows for more pre match merry making than a Friday night kick off, a drink fueled crowd normally lends itself to more noise.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

UlsterNo9 wrote:
222toHounslow wrote:The atmosphere was dire but is it up to the fans when bugger all is happening on the pitch to get excited about?

I'm not sure who enjoys the band, terrible.

Incidentally according to the Ulster rugby website there was an attendance of 13,407 yesterday.... highest home attendance this season. I wonder how many of that were P7s or the "activated" additional season ticket.

The fact the crowd was so flat given the attendance has been its highest all season is a worry. The 3pm Saturday kick off also allows for more pre match merry making than a Friday night kick off, a drink fueled crowd normally lends itself to more noise.
That sounds like pure dung, terraces half empty

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

At KO I very much doubt there were 10000 in the ground, however I know from friends that there was great difficulty getting to the ground as traffic was crazy near Ormeau park with some event there. I doubt 13407 but it certainly filled appreciably by halftime. I can just about believe that there was something not far short of 5000 under capacity so maybe the figure is right.

The atmosphere is dependent on the match, yes there are a few valiant souls such as Grumpy who will do his best to enthuse an atmosphere out of thin air but if you are watching shyte, certainly, at my age, it's hard to do anything but sit and hope for something better to appear........ and lo, a star from the east of the province brought forward better fare simply by dint of his own aura and standing with the supporters, thank you, Rory.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Tough auld day for any P7s forced to stand through that after the transfer test :lol:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

There were seven bodies sitting in our row in the Mem Stand. Lots of folk switched to the better placed seats for the second half, but that crowd numbers are way down is beyond dispute.
I think I nodded off twice during that first half of turgid shyte. The second half was better, but I still found my mind wandering to the huge pot of chilli I had on the stove back home.
It’s still better than Tesco’s and the tele wasn’t showing Kelly’s Heroes, The Viking’s, Where Eagles Dare or Zulu.
To paraphrase Richie McCaw...Keep Coming Back
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

The family stand did look as full as it's ever been due to the free ticket offer. First time I ever heard piped music over the tannoy during a break in play. Either this is a new initiative or someone noticed how crap the atmosphere was.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

I'm wondering whether they are worth the tenner I pay out for Premier Sports in all honesty.

The soul has been sucked out of the place.

Gonna Party Like It's 1999
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Jackie Brown wrote:I'm wondering whether they are worth the tenner I pay out for Premier Sports in all honesty.

The soul has been sucked out of the place.

Jackie a £10 a match would be an outrage, £2.50 per game is about right.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Cardiff coach unhappy with the ref.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/46416057

Personally i thought the yellow was fair as it looked like a reckless and pointless shoulder charge. Agree the penalty near the end was maybe unlucky as looked like Rory Best was no longer on his feet and the knock on call against Cardiff was wrong.

Standard of reffing in the league not generally good though.