Scarlets trilogy

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

tigerburnie
Warrior

Re: Scarlets trilogy

Post by tigerburnie »

That puts the pressure on us, well played.
LegsLikeSausages
Warrior Chief

Post by LegsLikeSausages »

Billy Burns’ best game for Ulster by far.
His distribution and kicking were excellent.
He gets a lot of stick on here, but well played tonight.
>appl >appl
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

LegsLikeSausages wrote:Billy Burns’ best game for Ulster by far.
His distribution and kicking were excellent.
He gets a lot of stick on here, but well played tonight.
>appl >appl
+1. Billy isn't an orthodox kicker from hand but he is a talented footballer. He forces the ball down to his feet rather than drops it which is a difficult skill to master.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Billy was good. Speight was class. I will be sad to see him go. Everytime someone called his name he waved to the crowd.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
kipper
Novice

Post by kipper »

Billy used the smart option against a rush/offside defense, and did it very well, some of his passing would give palpatations........had my doubts about nordi, not talent wise, just whether he wanted to be here or not, thought he and the back row were outstanding, never let up and led the charge, great to see a back row with some serious dog in it.
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

Henry high fives every single wee kid in the guard of honour on his side running onto the pitch.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
GLENN CORNICK
Squire

Post by GLENN CORNICK »

Jetstream wrote:In the nether regions Jackie.

Jackie, I think you have a stalker.
Beware PC Filth of the Thought Police.
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

Can’t sleep..still buzzin
Big thumbs up for the return of Darren Cave (Was OxO injured?)
Prominent Puppies McCall managed a cameo. According to the programme, he’s been going great guns in training...we’ll see.
Ludik as always gave 100% I love him to bits.
Reidy wilted welsh wills all night long.
I really couldn’t decide between Hendy and Addison for my MOTM. That Addison diagonal run from left to right, when he found the gap between two taffs, was fantastic.
Hendy isn’t human. He is the superhuman which Nietzsche mugged on about.
Coetzee is brilliant. With him and Hendy in the team, I think we’re about one dog short of a team which could stand up to any other in a physical battle.
Dare I mention Treadwell, or do I risk putting the scud on? Did I see him attempt to rip the ball away from that cheating fecker Wyn (not recently) Jones? Maybe it was the Murphy’s .
Stockdale try was just that...A Stockdale Try. He’s a ball magnet. Ever noticed how he never gets a bad bounce when chasing a kick or a loose ball?
That team performance was way better than last weeks performance. Poor playing conditions and we had to drink Murphy’s, but there was no better place to be tonight.
The Taffs came with their big hitters and we stood up to them and comprehensively bate the shyte outta them.
We can all stick our chests out a wee bit further this week and look forward to making Wee Joey cry again, next Friday night.
I’m calling it early..it’s CHRISTMAS, so let’s eat drink and be Merry (or Sue, or Joan)
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

:thumleft: Tender

Saves me typing that much up mesel.

I would concur with pretty much all of that, except i would stick my neck out and call MotM for Hendo,but you're right, Addison ran him pretty close (and sidestepped a few other contenders all the way of that run).

I don't think OxO was injured - looked like they thought the game was won and took the opportunity to bank some game minutes for him. Am open to correction on that though.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

It was a game played in conditions which didn’t suit the Scarlets backs.

The weather favoured defenders and the wet ball hindered off loading which is the lifeblood of the Scarlets attack .

Ulster played the conditions and Burns and Cooney kicked the ball with purpose and the ball carriers retained possession .

When I saw Ulster playing with the elements in the first half I feared a Try and penalty , 7 point lead, would not be enough and when the Scarlets got the runaway try to draw level started to think the game could be lost .

The quick score by Stockdale was an element to the win together with retaining possession and avoiding penalties .

Ulster seldom contested the breakdown but based the defence on a two player smother tackle on the first receiver and by doing so slowed the recycle and avoided penalties for failing to release or playing the ball off their feet .

Avoiding penalties was a major factor in the game in the second half denying the Scarlets possession in the Ulster 22.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Dan has done an excellent job on the pack. We had a very good breakdown presence last night which makes such a difference in terms of slowing the ball a bit and allowing the defence to set. Scrum and lineout woes are behind us (hopefully). Every player in the pack played well. Marty is reminding everyone the reason why he was, albeit briefly, first choice for ireland at a stage. Treadwell is doing the basics well. He just puts his head down and makes a yard or so in contact, nothing flashy. That's the best backrow we've had in right few seasons. We didn't have one, if truth be told, for a time. Those days are over if we can manage to keep all in good health. I'm not getting ahead of myself but we will be a tricky side to over come for many visiters. Hendo/Best/Coetzee form a world class spine. Hendo was magnificent.
promsandwich
Steward

Post by promsandwich »

Dave wrote:Dan has done an excellent job on the pack. We had a very good breakdown presence last night which makes such a difference in terms of slowing the ball a bit and allowing the defence to set. Scrum and lineout woes are behind us (hopefully). Every player in the pack played well. Marty is reminding everyone the reason why he was, albeit briefly, first choice for ireland at a stage. Treadwell is doing the basics well. He just puts his head down and makes a yard or so in contact, nothing flashy. That's the best backrow we've had in right few seasons. We didn't have one, if truth be told, for a time. Those days are over if we can manage to keep all in good health. I'm not getting ahead of myself but we will be a tricky side to over come for many visiters. Hendo/Best/Coetzee form a world class spine. Hendo was magnificent.
Agree with all of this. The pack starting to perform is the foundation for everything. Collectively and individually putting in performances. Treadwell has played well in both games. He has reduced the height at which he goes into contact and is taking the ball at pace much more than before.

Are we beginning to see what a Dan McFarland team looks like? Clearly he was handicapped by his late arrival to the job. Obviously the Ireland players coming into the team and the return of Louis help significantly. However there has been marked improvement across the board and I hope that what we are seeing is the start of how we can expect to see the team playing going forward.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

If Ludik could go up and down the country teaching young players to tackle, that would be great. Technically a superb tackler. No nonsense, round the legs and straight down.
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

That’s the way I like to tackle young lads up and down the country.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Tackling young lads could get you in serious trouble ??? >6shooter
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist