Ulster v Dragons Friday 26th Oct 7:55pm Premier Sports 1

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: Ulster v Dragons Friday 26th Oct 7:55pm Premier Sports 1

Post by big mervyn »

BR wrote:
Dave wrote:There was a boorish drunk man on the terrace near halfway. He attempted (badly) to start an Ulster chant. It was so bad that nobody could join in. He decided to berate some guys infront of him for not chanting along with him. They turned round and politely advised that they were infact Dragon's fans. Well feck me Sadie but everybody around roared laffin at the drunk clampit.

He later accused some other folk of being kunts for wearing hats. It was then pointed out to him that he also was wearing a hat. He drunkenly felt his head to be sure.

I asked him what part of Coleraine he was from...he didn't answer and briefly shut up.
To be fair Dave, if you could guarantee that level of entertainment each week, I may be persuaded to return to the fold.
To be fair, HWM does his level best.

Was yer man on the Aquinas side of the halfway? I was on the Memorial side and unfortunately missed that. I was only near the halfway line because I hadn't realised they weren't kicking off at 19:35. Spent 20 mins trying to figure out where everybody was :duh:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

big mervyn wrote:
BR wrote:
Dave wrote:There was a boorish drunk man on the terrace near halfway. He attempted (badly) to start an Ulster chant. It was so bad that nobody could join in. He decided to berate some guys infront of him for not chanting along with him. They turned round and politely advised that they were infact Dragon's fans. Well feck me Sadie but everybody around roared laffin at the drunk clampit.

He later accused some other folk of being kunts for wearing hats. It was then pointed out to him that he also was wearing a hat. He drunkenly felt his head to be sure.

I asked him what part of Coleraine he was from...he didn't answer and briefly shut up.
To be fair Dave, if you could guarantee that level of entertainment each week, I may be persuaded to return to the fold.

Was yer man on the Aquinas side of the halfway? I was on the Memorial side and unfortunately missed that. I was only near the halfway line because I hadn't realised they weren't kicking off at 19:35. Spent 20 mins trying to figure out where everybody was :duh:
Aquinas side
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

big mervyn wrote:
BR wrote:

Sounds like HWM but don't think he was there last night
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
DavyG
Steward

Post by DavyG »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:Anyone mentioned yet that the atmosphere last night was like a morgue?

I don't know if the irony from a small section of the prom (near the clack) was deliberate when with about 15minutes to go, they started singing "it's the Ulster boys makin all the noise". I don't think so, but if it was, well played ... it was the first noise to come from the prom in the entire match.

My own side on the terrace wasn't much better .... but I tried! Honestly,I tried.
I completely agree the atmosphere was as flat as a big bag full of flat things. As one of afore mentioned Prom Dwellers it should be noted that on numerous occasions we did attempt to get a bit of noise started unfortunately those adjacent and behind us had absolutely no interest in joining in. There were 5 dungbuckets close by who's idea of entertainment during the first half was to continuously wind up the a Steward with the intention and this was their own words " to get row going and knock his melt in". Anyway lets hope the atmosphere returns at the beginning of December.
"We are on a Journey.......Don't Stop Believin"....
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Rooster wrote:Sounds like HWM but don't think he was there last night
He was there but it wasn't him.

Him and Junior were very subdued last night - claimed to be still getting their voices back from Paris last weekend, but there wasn't much wrong with their voices as they stood around gossiping like weemen. :roll:

Quote of the night was from HWM when asked by someone (not me) about Paris, admitted, "I slept through three quarters of the match but i did get onto the pitch after. Admittedly hundreds got onto the pitch after,though"

Good trip then Mike :roll:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

The band kill the atmosphere. They also seem to decide to play when we are camped on the opposition 5 metre line. It usually results in a fcuk up.

FTB
horslips
Novice

Post by horslips »

Dave
Sounds like yer man was a member of Coleraine RFC
STO SURSUM PRO ULSTERMEN
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Dave wrote:The band kill the atmosphere. They also seem to decide to play when we are camped on the opposition 5 metre line. It usually results in a fcuk up.

FTB
The band were remarkably quiet too last night, but I do recall on the few occasions when they did strike up, wishing they hadn't!
I'm not arguing -
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:

Him and Junior were very subdued last night - claimed to be still getting their voices back from Paris last weekend, but there wasn't much wrong with their voices as they stood around gossiping like weemen. :roll:

Quote of the night was from HWM when asked by someone (not me) about Paris, admitted, "I slept through three quarters of the match but i did get onto the pitch after. Admittedly hundreds got onto the pitch after,though"

Nah he was awake for three quarters of it.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

justinr73 wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:

Nah he was awake for three quarters of it.
Not how he remembers it! :lol:
I'm not arguing -
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Dave wrote:The band kill the atmosphere. They also seem to decide to play when we are camped on the opposition 5 metre line. It usually results in a fcuk up.

FTB
The band were remarkably quiet too last night, but I do recall on the few occasions when they did strike up, wishing they hadn't!
Not that I'm complaining, but does their free entry not have an implied contractual obligation to strike up on more than a few occasions?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

big mervyn wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:

FTB
Not that I'm complaining, but does their free entry not have an implied contractual obligation to strike up on more than a few occasions?
They're on the payroll to do just that.

Finlay out.
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

Loved the Pete Nelson last minute replacement. Nobody told the stadium announcer who stammered and sputtered when Nelson was brought on, eventually all he could say was The replacement for Ulster was Number 23...
Now I know Nelson isn’t exactly a regular starter, but being blessed with those luscious African Sunset flowing locks, he is instantly recognisable to anyone who follows Ulster, or indeed rugby in Ireland.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

big mervyn wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:

FTB
That thought had crossed my mind too. But as you say, not complaining if they short changed their masters.
I'm not arguing -
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Tender wrote:Loved the Pete Nelson last minute replacement. Nobody told the stadium announcer who stammered and sputtered when Nelson was brought on, eventually all he could say was The replacement for Ulster was Number 23...
Now I know Nelson isn’t exactly a regular starter, but being blessed with those luscious African Sunset flowing locks, he is instantly recognisable to anyone who follows Ulster, or indeed rugby in Ireland.
Ah, it all falls into place now.

I saw that Gillie wasn't up to taking part during the warm up but he was still announced at 23 when the teams were being read out. Probably the "images" had been pre-prepared and it was too late to change that on the big screens, but I did wonder if he would be replaced.

Not knowing the full 23 that had originally being named, and not knowing if the Admiral wasn't in the 23, I did ask someone with a programme and was told that Nelson was already one of the substitutes. I didn't notice then the fact that he had replaced Gillie at 23. :duh:

At least I did recognise who he was though, even if I didn't take on board what number he was wearing.
I'm not arguing -