RACING 92 V ULSTER Saturday 20th Oct KO:18.30 TV: BT

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: RACING 92 V ULSTER Saturday 20th Oct KO:18.30 TV: BT

Post by Rooster »

therealspratt wrote:
Rooster wrote:
therealspratt wrote:On props has anyone ever seen enough of Peter Cooper to understand why Ulster have always seemed lukewarm on him at best?
Didn't last long against Armagh on Saturday.
Injury or just had his Brennan handed to him in the scrum?

Strange situation with him. Seems to be worth near a try a game for Malone with pace to burn for a prop, and yet he hardly got a sniff prior to our dire straits this year after he's been binned from the academy.

What I would give for a Reid, McBurney, O'Toole front row, that could have done us for the next decade.
Didn't notice him injured and first couple scrums Malone were on top then Armagh started getting the better of them.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Columbo
Squire

Re: RACING 92 V ULSTER Saturday 20th OctKO:18.30 TV: BT

Post by Columbo »

Gary wrote:Columbo, Lowry is a 10 who can play 12 and 15. He'll be a good player at 12 and 15, but a great one at 10. That is his position and where his talent will serve Ulster best and for years to come. Burns is a fine player, but I've always said we didn't need him. We are actually well-stocked at out-half - McPhilips, Lowry, Curtis, with Cooney there as well. Remember a young, supremely talented back called Paddy Wallace? His career didn't reach the heights it should have because both Ulster and Ireland fecked him about. I hope that sort of mistake doesn't happen to Lowry.
I take the point and I actually never saw much of Lowry playing at 10 during schools and age grade, so aware that some others here have me at a disadvantage - however on the basis of what I have seen so far this year, I think Billy Burns is an excellent signing, I think he's always looked solid, which is quite an achievement given he's bedding in to a team that has been a bit all over the shop with injuries and what have you - and on Lowry, when you have that ability to run the ball back from backfield, that's where I want to see him!! I just saw on twitter he made 160m or something, highest in the round in Europe and highest ever by an Ulster player since the stats were recorded (2010). Which isn't bad!
..one more thing
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

Kofi Annan wrote:Two issues highlighted here, Scrum and Skills.

1, is it all the props fault, or could technique be improved?
2. Handling areas and awareness, players fault or coaching ?

I am happy the players are good enough or very close, just need the coaches to up their game but overall we are going in the right direction.
on 2 I agree, I'm happy enough, I think it's mostly a waiting game

on 1, we don't have the players IMO - on the loosehead side. At LH, for all I like Warwick and he certainly gives it his all, no disrespect but IMO he's a guy you want at maybe 3rd-4th choice in your squad. And I know McCall had a good spell a couple of years back, but I'm not sure he's a whole lot better to be brutally honest. I can't remember the last time I've seen an Ulster LH have the opposing 3 under pressure? EOS seems to be useful round the park, but again not (as yet) a dominant scrummager.

At TH I think Moore, Herbst, Kane, O'Toole is a decent slate. And at hooker we are well-stocked, I think McBurney is class, and will be an international soon enough...
..one more thing
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

therealspratt wrote:On props has anyone ever seen enough of Peter Cooper to understand why Ulster have always seemed lukewarm on him at best?
He was in the academy as a tighthead, has been playing this year at LH (at least for Ulster A) looked decent any time I saw him, in fact quite impressive for the A side. He is very short - maybe they didn't think he was big enough?
..one more thing
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

If there is nothing coming through that the coaches have confidence in, then they probably should be heading down the motorway and doing what they can to entice Peter Dooley up the road from Dublin.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I remember Warwick making his debut at TH up against Thug Healy. The first one was a wobble but he held that bluenose scrum up rightly. Why have our previously capable, but not spectacular, scrummagers simply gone to tom kite? McCall went the same way. Our props appear to be regressing, or is it just me?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Guys, you can't win a damn thing without a top class front 5, we don't have one.

So, whilst we are recovering from the reign of terror of Slogan, FOLK & the liar Gibbes, we may hope that either we continue to get decent players down the road or grow our own, or of course, both.

I understand that amongst the more feeble minded of you some find it hard to understand that you will get better than simply untalented cast-offs but LOOK .......... are you telling me that Nordi isn't good enough? Conway at Munster, not good enough? Carbery? Marty Moore?

Young Timoney had possibly his worse game of the season on Saturday but I am convinced he will be very good, perhaps idal as he will not be dragged off to CampSChmidt with the current pecking order,

So, Loosehead is a conundrum, Warwick, I've had hopes for but it seems clear he's a squad man that can do a decent job but is not what you want as a starter, Rodders hasn't made much impression on the supposed switch to LH and is currently holidaying after gubbing someone, McCall???? It's all looking a bit bleak.

There is more talent at TH on the face if it, hoping Marty Moore finds it in him to get and stay fit, Herbst grand if fit, Kane the great white hope, others...........hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Of course we look decent at hooker and well stocked in the second row :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Let's hope there are a few good'uns coming through or Mexico are producing so many that some lads will be looking for somewhere to get game time, just like Carbery, Conway etc etc.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.