Shoulder to Shoulder

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

davejohnston
Initiate

Shoulder to Shoulder

Post by davejohnston »

Did anyone else watch that documentary by your fella from down the road ?

I wouldn't pay for BT, but managed to see it via other means.
Got to say some of it was interested but overall I found it a bit shallow. I'm possibly to easily offended, but he seemed to be saying he doesn't understand why us Nordies support Ireland.

Three bits got up my nose in particular.
1) He didn't understand the difference between British and English. He interviewed a bunch of orange-men. When asked about their identity they all said they were Irish, and followed up by saying but they were also British. BOD expressed his confusion about why they would support Ireland and particularly when Ireland play England as they see themselves a British. Now they did say they were British, but they all Identified themselves Irish first. He also neglected to consider why this is a big deal, when the majority of Welsh and Scottish people will identify themselves and Welsh and Scottish, but carrier British passports.

2) He pretended to care about the hard times Northern Irish players had to go through in order to represent Ireland. He then cut to how the anthem should-to-shoulder came about. But there was never an acknowledgment that being inclusive, and trying to do something that included everybody was the right thing. In my opinion he either sat on the fence, or stayed on the side that says It should be the Irish flag and the Irish anthem or nothing.

3) There was alot of self-worship over the small matter of BOD playing a lambeg drum. This segment seemed to get alot of attention. Not sure why, as I suspect most people, republican or loyalist give a feck. He did highlight one tweet, which was out of order, but didn't really focus or read out anyone that was supportive. After asking several people did he do the right thing, and what would people thing of him, I thought the matter was put to bed. Only for him to again ask his Maa what she thought. Thanks goodness she didn't follow the full script when he asked her, did she have concerns about sending him up north as a lad. I think she said 'na'.
For an example of how to not give a feck about republican vs nationalism and slap down twitter trolls see Carl Frampton for tips. https://www.independent.ie/sport/leftfi ... 00923.html

Overall some interesting material but ultimately a self indulgent production.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: Shoulder to Shoulder

Post by big mervyn »

No intention of watching it or reading anything about it. I hold that ballbeg in total contempt.

Interestingly though, on the Tigers forum, they're all complaining about his bias towards Ulster :lol:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Like Merv I won't be watching it, he's a hateful wee ballix. I hope he dies soon.

One thing I will say, he's not the first dumb jackeen scumbag I've heard of who wonders why we don't support England. Any wonder the FIRFUCs treat Ulster as second-class Irish.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

He's a Kunt.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

big mervyn wrote:No intention of watching it or reading anything about it. I hold that ballbeg in total contempt.

Interestingly though, on the Tigers forum, they're all complaining about his bias towards Ulster :lol:
Listened to him doing the leinster game last night and thought he was pretty balanced. A lot more balanced than Trimby on Premier Sports so far, as he still thinks he’s playing.

As for the documentary you need to remember that the main target audience is the uk mainland one rather than us and therefore some of it came across as a bit basic in my opinion. However there were some good bits like David Duckham talking about deciding to play the game in Dublin in the early 70’s.....well at least for those of us too young to know much about it.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Bod is god. God, if he does exist, is a complete hateful kunt.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
222toHounslow
Warrior Chief

Post by 222toHounslow »

BOD is a sectarian cûnt
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Post by Wee Woman »

I actually thought it was fairly balanced and I say that as no fan of BOD, especially on the very rare occasion that be actually played against Ulster.

I’m born and reared here and can honestly say I don’t even understand half the shyte that’s gone on in this country over my lifetime (I was born in the 70’s so all I knew growing up was the troubles).

The reality is that we are a basket case, and I will be encouraging Wee Girly to get the feck out of here as soon as she’s old enough. Thankfully as a dual citizen she will hold both passports so she has options.

I could go on but won’t as I can see that many will disagree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
outsider
Novice

Post by outsider »

Bits of it were very good, particularly when interviewing the police and army players who'd been directly impacted by the troubles. Seemed to be a surprise to BOD.

Some of it was infuriating. The end of the documentary appeared to equate the hardships of the Ulster-based players with BOD's ma hearing a bit of unspecified sectarian chanting at a youth match. BOD got petrol bomb throwing tips from a Belfast taxi driver.

Annoyed me at times, but overall it was better than I expected.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Wee Woman wrote:I actually thought it was fairly balanced and I say that as no fan of BOD, especially on the very rare occasion that be actually played against Ulster.

I’m born and reared here and can honestly say I don’t even understand half the shyte that’s gone on in this country over my lifetime (I was born in the 70’s so all I knew growing up was the troubles).

The reality is that we are a basket case, and I will be encouraging Wee Girly to get the feck out of here as soon as she’s old enough. Thankfully as a dual citizen she will hold both passports so she has options.

I could go on but won’t as I can see that many will disagree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You are a good mother WW, as one who has long held an ambition to breath fresh air rather than choke in that shitehole until I die, there is another world out there where what school you go to may hint at financial status but not that you are "one of themins", where you don't have friends having been murdered and importantly where you don't have sanctimonious arseholes wanting to take you back to the 17th century and running, or not running, the country.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

There is no way you could do a documentary on this place without some fukker getting "offended". :roll:
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

I am glad that BOD learnt something about us in making the program yet he certainly seemed perplexed that an Irishman can also be British. Maybe he has lost some of his own apparent sectarianism towards us Nordics although I suspect not...
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Being shown again on BT Sport this evening at 18.30 if anyone who hasn't seen it yet (me) and wants to be offended (not necessarily me).
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

BOD's only sectarian til he gets invited to a Royal Wedding. :lol: What an absolute tosser.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

BOD played international rugby in a different time when thankfully some of the issues talked about in the programme were not so prevalent. He hardly comes across as some die hard republican just because he wasn’t that aware of the history of the troubles.

A lot of younger people would have no idea of how it was for the rugby players then and even for that alone it was a worthwhile watch.