Image
Image
Image

Topics Calendar

October 2018

S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

Who is online

In total there are 40 users online :: 13 registered, 0 hidden and 27 guests

Most users ever online was 454 on Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:04 pm

Registered users: AhrefsBot, BaggyTrousers, Bing [Bot], Deraless, Google [Bot], jamsodonnell, kingofthehill, Neill_M, SemrushBot, volvo, WeeWorld, wrayzo, YandexBot


Legend :: Administrators, Moderators

Statistics

Total posts 653357
Total topics 19077
Total members 2925
Our newest member Lamboson

Birthdays

Congratulations to: KenDoddsDadsDogsDead (55)

Munster V Ulster Sat 29th Sept 7:15

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderators: The Fonz, Moderators

  • Advertisement

Topic Rating:
  • 1 vote
  

Re: Munster V Ulster Sat 29th Sept 7:15

Postby Bart S » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:34 pm

Setanta wrote:+1
I had hoped we would keep it under 50 but no surprise at all. Important thing is Iain and John are not badly injured; any news?



I think it is fair to be concerned or embarrassed when we lose by over 50 points and put out a side which had some rookies but was not the usual Christmas time kids outing to the RDS. Gilroy, Cave, Burns, Cooney, Warwick, hendy, AOC and Timoney all started and whilst 2 of them went off, the tone was well set already.

Just shows the size of the task ahead.
User avatar
Bart S
Chancellor to the King
 
Posts: 3124
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:48 am

Re: Munster V Ulster Sat 29th Sept 7:15

Postby Lurgan Lad » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:39 pm

Thought an awful lot of the decision making by the players was shockingly bad last night. Take something as simple as kickoffs, if Munster were going to repeatedly run it back at you and you are down a ton of points why kick off short? Kick it long and put pressure on them in their 22.
User avatar
Lurgan Lad
Squire
 
Posts: 788
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 7:27 pm

Re: Munster V Ulster Sat 29th Sept 7:15

Postby kingofthehill » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:42 pm

Bart S wrote:
Spiffsson wrote:
stickinout wrote:
kingofthehill wrote:Billy Burns has done nothing for me to suggest the 10 shirt is his. He doesn’t attack the line at all,just ships the ball on while static.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Which plays into the Munster strategy of having fast line speed. Additionally, having a muck 9 who doesn't know how to kick, adds to our problems. Billy Burns is a young inexperienced 10, he has to learn.


He is young, but not inexperienced. He has had plenty of games for Gloucester in the English top division over the past few years, where he often played well. I think he will do OK in Ulster as he beds in. But I want to see McPhillips get plenty of game time too.



Dan clearly thinks Burns is the man as he has given him all 5 starts when based on the end of last season, he at least had some kind of alternative option to try in McPhillips. Problem now is that we are running into a couple of “must win” games at home against Connacht and Tigers, so difficult to throw in McPhillips or Lowry for a first start under such roessure.

Whatever people may think about it being a happier squad this season (funnily enough i heard it was a happier squad as well at the start of last season) the size of that defeat will affect confidence. Around half the team that started last night would be pushing for places in our main starting xv this season and even when Hendy and Cooney were on a blind man could see we were going to get thrashed. We are now playing 2 games at home which we should win (no excuses) and losing one or other, followed by a likely drubbing at Racing will really risk a big fall in confidence.

Some fans may think we should write off Europe (and given squad depth there is logic to that) but we all know that will not happen for a variety of reasons (and indeed i imagine it would be very unpopular with the players). So given that we have 3 big games coming up a sudden change at 10 would indicate that Dan has maybe had a change of heart about Burns.


He will not change Burns now.

Next week will be as close to full strength as possible.

Lowry will get chances at 10 through the year. The annoying thing for him is that he’s so talented that he will be moved around different positions to accommodate others. Would love to see him get a chance in a full strength ulster team. His first touch from midfield scrum was the first time in 43mins that Ulster got a spark in the game.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The King is dead. Long live the King.
User avatar
kingofthehill
Warrior Chief
 
Posts: 1775
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:43 am

Re: Munster V Ulster Sat 29th Sept 7:15

Postby kingofthehill » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:43 pm

Bart S wrote:
Spiffsson wrote:
stickinout wrote:
kingofthehill wrote:Billy Burns has done nothing for me to suggest the 10 shirt is his. He doesn’t attack the line at all,just ships the ball on while static.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Which plays into the Munster strategy of having fast line speed. Additionally, having a muck 9 who doesn't know how to kick, adds to our problems. Billy Burns is a young inexperienced 10, he has to learn.


He is young, but not inexperienced. He has had plenty of games for Gloucester in the English top division over the past few years, where he often played well. I think he will do OK in Ulster as he beds in. But I want to see McPhillips get plenty of game time too.



Dan clearly thinks Burns is the man as he has given him all 5 starts when based on the end of last season, he at least had some kind of alternative option to try in McPhillips. Problem now is that we are running into a couple of “must win” games at home against Connacht and Tigers, so difficult to throw in McPhillips or Lowry for a first start under such roessure.

Whatever people may think about it being a happier squad this season (funnily enough i heard it was a happier squad as well at the start of last season) the size of that defeat will affect confidence. Around half the team that started last night would be pushing for places in our main starting xv this season and even when Hendy and Cooney were on a blind man could see we were going to get thrashed. We are now playing 2 games at home which we should win (no excuses) and losing one or other, followed by a likely drubbing at Racing will really risk a big fall in confidence.

Some fans may think we should write off Europe (and given squad depth there is logic to that) but we all know that will not happen for a variety of reasons (and indeed i imagine it would be very unpopular with the players). So given that we have 3 big games coming up a sudden change at 10 would indicate that Dan has maybe had a change of heart about Burns.


He will not change Burns now.

Next week will be as close to full strength as possible.

Lowry will get chances at 10 through the year. The annoying thing for him is that he’s so talented that he will be moved around different positions to accommodate others. Would love to see him get a chance in a full strength ulster team. His first touch from midfield scrum was the first time in 43mins that Ulster got a spark in the game.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The King is dead. Long live the King.
User avatar
kingofthehill
Warrior Chief
 
Posts: 1775
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:43 am

Re: Munster V Ulster Sat 29th Sept 7:15

Postby Bart S » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:05 pm

Would like to have seen Lowry get some time at 10 last night and Burns play at fullback.

Given the next 3 games and particularly if we beat Tigers, then it could be Dragons in game 9 of the season before we see McPhillips or Lowry get any gametime at 10.
User avatar
Bart S
Chancellor to the King
 
Posts: 3124
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:48 am

Re: Munster V Ulster Sat 29th Sept 7:15

Postby BR » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:19 pm

Bart S wrote:
BR wrote:So Ulster have been cutting back in squad size. Is it time to forego the highly payed, big name imports and use the money to maintain a reasonable depth to the squad. In other words, if we can't have sufficient sthrength in depth, would you accept depth in favour of strength?


Would be a sound strategy. Question is though, where do we get the Ireland qualified depth from?

I was thinking Ulster would be the obvious place to look.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
User avatar
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
 
Posts: 17129
Images: 3
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:12 am
Location: On a roll.

Re: Munster V Ulster Sat 29th Sept 7:15

Postby rumncoke » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:06 pm

Didn't see the game but if Ulster where kicking short kick-offs --then you pick a target ( player to kick the ball to ) kick it slow and flat and swallow the B quickly . Long kicks against Munster last night were a non starter -- with Earls , Conway and Carberry to run from deep too much inexperience on the Ulster side for that .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
User avatar
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor
 
Posts: 5928
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:39 pm

Re: Munster V Ulster Sat 29th Sept 7:15

Postby Bart S » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:53 pm

BR wrote:
Bart S wrote:
BR wrote:So Ulster have been cutting back in squad size. Is it time to forego the highly payed, big name imports and use the money to maintain a reasonable depth to the squad. In other words, if we can't have sufficient sthrength in depth, would you accept depth in favour of strength?


Would be a sound strategy. Question is though, where do we get the Ireland qualified depth from?

I was thinking Ulster would be the obvious place to look.



Well if you find any hidden depth currently reaiding in Ulster, as opposed to people making up the numbers (literally) then please let Bryn and Dan know asap.
User avatar
Bart S
Chancellor to the King
 
Posts: 3124
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:48 am

Re: Munster V Ulster Sat 29th Sept 7:15

Postby solidarity » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:10 pm

Apologies if this has been answered above, I'm too depressed to read the whole thread. Is this Ulster's worst ever defeat or have we been worse at some time in the past?
User avatar
solidarity
Warrior Assassin
 
Posts: 1327
Images: 0
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:00 pm

Re: Munster V Ulster Sat 29th Sept 7:15

Postby Dave » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:24 pm

solidarity wrote:Apologies if this has been answered above, I'm too depressed to read the whole thread. Is this Ulster's worst ever defeat or have we been worse at some time in the past?
Welcome to rock bottom.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
User avatar
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
 
Posts: 17824
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:27 pm

Re: Munster V Ulster Sat 29th Sept 7:15

Postby davejohnston » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:34 pm

So the stats for the season show we have been passing the ball more than any other team. So why are we so poor at creating gaps in the opposition defence. Is it lack of formidable forwards to suck in defenders, or do we just not have any attacking plays ?
User avatar
davejohnston
Initiate
 
Posts: 461
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:39 am

Re: Munster V Ulster Sat 29th Sept 7:15

Postby againstthehead » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:54 am

I actually feel sorry for Stockdale and Henderson. Quality players in a festering pile of turd. Once the RWC is over, anyone with an ounce of ambition should be off to England or France.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
User avatar
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor
 
Posts: 6833
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:58 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Re: Munster V Ulster Sat 29th Sept 7:15

Postby Dave » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:06 am

Heading to England with ambition? Are you high?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
User avatar
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
 
Posts: 17824
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:27 pm

Re: Munster V Ulster Sat 29th Sept 7:15

Postby davejohnston » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:09 am

Dave wrote:Heading to England with ambition? Are you high?


Ideally they would head to Leinster and then we could have a few articles written about how they are propping up the blues
User avatar
davejohnston
Initiate
 
Posts: 461
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:39 am

Re: Munster V Ulster Sat 29th Sept 7:15

Postby BR » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:30 am

davejohnston wrote:So the stats for the season show we have been passing the ball more than any other team. So why are we so poor at creating gaps in the opposition defence. Is it lack of formidable forwards to suck in defenders, or do we just not have any attacking plays ?


No attacking plays because they have created no space. There is the odd fatboy taking the ball forward from the ruck, which is an improvement on previous seasons, but it is unstructured individual play and breaks down by the 3rd phase with a forced offload or isolated ball carrier. The backs are relying on an uprushing defender to slip or be seriously mistimed in order to make any ground. After that, it's heads-up rugby with no organised system.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
User avatar
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
 
Posts: 17129
Images: 3
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:12 am
Location: On a roll.

PreviousNext


  • Advertisement

Return to View frae thae Hill

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AhrefsBot, BaggyTrousers, Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], jamsodonnell, Neill_M, volvo and 14 guests

Recent Forum Topics

!-- Piwik -->