Cheetahs v Ulster Friday 21st September 6:15pm KO

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

222toHounslow
Warrior Chief

Re: Cheetahs v Ulster Friday 21st September 6:15pm KO

Post by 222toHounslow »

jamsodonnell wrote:For me, the most disturbing thing was the missed tackles of Coetzee. Coach made the correct decision and whipped him off the park. To all the vitriole that was hurled at Shanahan, eat a bit of humble pie and have the grace to admit it. He's not a suitable scrum half replacement but he did very well tonight. Did I see him give a shushing finger when he scored ? If so, then he reads this forum, which I desperately hoped he didn't. We will always have "the begrudgers " as a well known former Ulster player calls them but would we have accepted P4 W3 D1 at this stage..... like hell we would.
I would qualify my statement with this : Addison, Ludik, Marshall, Stockdale, Cooney, Gilroy, Moore, Best, Henderson, and Murphy. A 7 point return on the road, I'll take that and I'm sure the Coach will as well.
Bellend
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

damianmcr wrote:How was Billy tonight?

I seen most of it but my opinion is for fk all.
Billy has had a pretty soft ride here, probably given his sobriquet King Billy. Now LOOK ................ I'm not getting down on him, I'm just still waiting to be impressed.

His game tonight had something of the curate's egg about it, some of his kicking was woeful, giving the Cheetahs the sort of ball they love to run back at teams, probably their strongest suit.

Against that there was a decent enough structure around much of the back play for much of the time. He also had the bottle to kick the last conversion having missed one that was possibly easier.

I'm happy to give him a good deal more time, he shows enough to hope he can settle in an contribute.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

After Joey's catastrophic efforts earlier. Billy is doing ok.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Dave wrote:After Joey's catastrophic efforts earlier. Billy is doing ok.
By all accounts Billy has hardly excelled and in some of those games the opposition has been pretty modest. Am surprised McPhillips has not even had a look in yet.

I can’t see him becoming a king, but let’s hope Burns turns out to be closer to the (ginger) Prince than the Duke.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Bart S wrote:
Dave wrote:After Joey's catastrophic efforts earlier. Billy is doing ok.
By all accounts Billy has hardly excelled and in some of those games the opposition has been pretty modest. Am surprised McPhillips has not even had a look in yet.

I can’t see him becoming a king, but let’s hope Burns turns out to be closer to the (ginger) Prince than the Duke.
I'd play RAY at out half ahead of the Duke. Billy wins that hands down.

Whilst he may never hit king status he's far from a disaster. I'm now of the opinion we've two decent 10s in the squad with him and McP. Neither perhaps international standard but both capable.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

Ok so he had the stones to slot that final one over, but FFS aimlessly kicking away possession to a team who thrive on returning such arsefoonery, is boiling my urine.
He needs to either get a lot smarter, or he needs to be told.
We’re gonna be down to Ethel for the Munters game but if we get anything outta that game I’ll give up Guinness until the Baby Jeebus’s Birthday.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Tender wrote:Ok so he had the stones to slot that final one over, but FFS aimlessly kicking away possession to a team who thrive on returning such arsefoonery....
Yes, Billy's kicking from hand is not good enough and his dropouts are particularly dirt.
That final kick was one he should have slotted if he aspires to be an international flyhalf.

I like his attacking attitude and for the most part, he makes his tackles. 6.5 out of 10
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

The main problem for Billy is that he isn't Paddy.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Tender wrote:Ok so he had the stones to slot that final one over, but FFS aimlessly kicking away possession to a team who thrive on returning such arsefoonery....
Yes, Billy's kicking from hand is not good enough and his dropouts are particularly dirt.
That final kick was one he should have slotted if he aspires to be an international flyhalf.

I like his attacking attitude and for the most part, he makes his tackles. 6.5 out of 10
I'd agree with that Snipe, at 24 he would appear to have certain qualities can the kicking game be coached?

Not related to you Snipe but the level of expectation is already beginning to become a little heightened amongst some.I had us winning one of our first five before the season kicked off, that was a victory against the Kings.

We went to SA without Best, Moore, Henderson, Murphy, Stockdale, L Marshall, Ludik..... Addison (didn't play) whilst new on the Ulster scene has been around the block. That's a hell of a lot of experience.

We are definately punchin at the moment as the man says. I feel we're heading in the right direction but the standard required is not going to come to fruition as quickly as the building expectation.

Top six finish is still the objective or 14 league wins. Europe.... enjoy the beer and the away weekends.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Dave wrote:You never see low no-arms tackles given as a pen.
Chop tackles were the IRB's cause celebre 2 seasons ago. It's all about nipples this year.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

fermain wrote:.
Excellent point.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
LegsLikeSausages
Warrior Chief

Post by LegsLikeSausages »

UlsterNo9 wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:

I'd agree with that Snipe, at 24 he would appear to have certain qualities can the kicking game be coached?

Not related to you Snipe but the level of expectation is already beginning to become a little heightened amongst some.I had us winning one of our first five before the season kicked off, that was a victory against the Kings.

We went to SA without Best, Moore, Henderson, Murphy, Stockdale, L Marshall, Ludik..... Addison (didn't play) whilst new on the Ulster scene has been around the block. That's a hell of a lot of experience.

We are definately punchin at the moment as the man says. I feel we're heading in the right direction but the standard required is not going to come to fruition as quickly as the building expectation.

Top six finish is still the objective or 14 league wins. Europe.... enjoy the beer and the away weekends.
Agree with this. We have 8 more league points than I expected at this stage and importantly we denied Edinburgh 3. This is a transition season and the only expectation should be getting into the 19-20 Heineken Cup. Some clever recruitment for next season is also required to plug the gaps which don’t get filled by Academy players stepping up.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Barring something unusual happening in Dublin, we’re going to be 9 points up on Edinburgh after four rounds which I think we’d all have taken a month ago.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

LegsLikeSausages wrote:
UlsterNo9 wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:

Agree with this. We have 8 more league points than I expected at this stage and importantly we denied Edinburgh 3. This is a transition season and the only expectation should be getting into the 19-20 Heineken Cup. Some clever recruitment for next season is also required to plug the gaps which don’t get filled by Academy players stepping up.
We've had a more than decent return from the first 4 games and ridden our luck more than a bit. But we have reasons to be positive. In each game we have kept playing until the end and winning ugly is always better than the alternative.

The point about expectations is well made. It's easy to lose perspective, we were in the gutters last season and it's not a case of pressing a button making everything OK.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Over the past years I have been at odds with many as I predicted our season ahead would be worse than the one before as we continued on a downward spiral ... last year was confounded by the court case that added to our woes and the exit of the clown Prince (Kiss not Paddy) followed by the further exit of Gibbes... a man that actually had his get out clause in before he came with his I can stay pending my visit back to NZ at Xmas pre-condition.

I don't expect much this year and I have stated elsewhere that whether Dan the Man is the right man he is at least the man in the right place. He isn't expected to win anything so building from the bottom and giving youth a chance will suffice for many of us dire hards if not so much for the missing snowflakes..

To date I am please more than anything by the fact that instead of our heads dropping we have picked ourselves up and won some very close games that could have slipped away from us.. under Kiss I don't think that would have happened and both the players and supporters would now be subjected to words of wisdom that none of us could understand and we would all be heading into the next game more confused than what had been said before..

ps.. on another subject Carberry is some player.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU