Southern Kings v Ulster Sun 16th Sep 1:15pm

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Southern Kings v Ulster Sun 16th Sep 1:15pm

Post by Dave »

Cairns
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Porter and Cairns never had an opportunity to show what they had at this level. We have to assume that they never looked good enough in training.

Shanners and Heaney we have had the opportunity to show that they have the goods and in my view they have shown that they are below the required standard.

p had the skills, but not the composure.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I wouldn't trust Les Kiss on that front.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Cockatrice wrote:Glad I prompted a debate on the future of 9's at Ulster but to go back to my original point Shanahan remains a waste and should have been shipped before now.. I remain convinced that we sat back and got lost in the luxury of Ruan for too long without any thought of trying to develop anyone soon or for that matter even look to bring in a half decent back up in from somewhere.. We simply thought the IRFU would allow him to re-sign even though they were told it wouldn't happen well before.. of course 9's don't grow on trees like 12's do but lets develop them.. give them a start against Leinster and then throw them off the bus..
The Cairns story was a FOLK outrage, however, he was not a nipper, he appeared OK to me but that is it.

Digressing briefly to a point made by Snipe, only 2 decent 9s in Ireland, I believe that is a miserly look at things, McGrath the Mexicanbastard is given no credit whatsoever here, OK he's a Mexican and you couldn;t like one who hangs around D4 long enough, but he's better than given credit for. Reminds me of Eoin Reddan in so far as he played almost his whole career behind exceptional packs at Wasps & Mexico and was always open to "aye, right, but how would he do behind an Ulster pack circa 2017". He and Marmion are considerably better than given credit for here. Just saying like.

Now, Cockers, I fear that you like certain others, Darren Cave for example, have bought too much into this bullshit, "The FIRFUCs were right about Ruan". No they fu@king weren't, they've got lucky that a guy who has a sicknote history and who was unable to impose himself at two other provinces - possibly because of the run of injuries - has suddenly blossomed.

I'd take leave to call any muthafukka a liar who claimed that they have not been amazed and in a certain amount of disbelief at what John Cooney has produced. Like the virgin birth, nobody saw it cumming. I am not doing down Cooney, he's been outstanding, I am unhappy that happy coincidence makes some think that it was a FIRFU masterstroke, giving us a gem in waiting, the fact is that JC was slipping behind Blade as well as Marmion at Connacht.

The credit for John Cooney belongs 100% to John Cooney, SFA to do with any FIFRUC. To say that Cooney has taken his chance is a vast understatement. I cannot believe that he is anything other than a guy who has put maximum effort into his game, to me he was quick and now looks quicker, he appears also to have muscled up and he's as capable as Murray in fighting his corner. The most impressive thing to me is his mental attitude, for a guy who has not had an easy ride on pro rugby his positivity is amazing. The 2 late kicks to win games shine with positivity, especially a 49M kick against Embra, when his own action appeared to have lost the game. The fact that a self-pronounced "hobby kicker" has become so good is also a huge bonus, top scorer in the league last year (albeit many quality kickers miss huge amounts of the league games - Sexton for example)

Cockers, as for sitting back luxuriating in Ruan and thinking it would last forever, I don't buy that. Ulster has never had a production line of half-backs, believe me, I've seen ever one of them in the last 50 years first hand. Trust me you could count the good/great ones on the ballix of one scrotum full - three in my case, one for both Hitler & Franco. At 9, Roger Young was good, Colin Patterson great, Andy Matchett I've always had a soft spot for but after that a wide range of average guys doing their best.

No, half-backs are born, I don't believe they are made, they can be improved, I'm open to that possibility, they cannot be made. You wait around, muddle through with what you've got or buy a genius like Ruan. At present we've hit gold dust with Cooney more by luck than good judgement, meanwhile we must hope one of the nippers mentioned comes very good, very soon for Cooney will be called up by FOJS, he's a bluenose but he's not stupid. If we play Shanners too many times we will live to regret it.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

Credit where it is due.
Dave Nucifora is the mastermind and genius who got you Cooney.
Nuci is the Great Helmsman of Irish rugby steering the ship through the shoals and rocks of disaster. :duck:
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Dublin4 wrote:Credit where it is due.
Nuci is the Great Helmsman of Irish rugby steering the ship through the shoals and rocks of disaster. :duck:
Yeah he is a great guy. He wants PJ back.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

I honestly thought you had died

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Cockatrice wrote:Glad I prompted a debate on the future of 9's at Ulster but to go back to my original point Shanahan remains a waste and should have been shipped before now.. I remain convinced that we sat back and got lost in the luxury of Ruan for too long without any thought of trying to develop anyone soon or for that matter even look to bring in a half decent back up in from somewhere.. We simply thought the IRFU would allow him to re-sign even though they were told it wouldn't happen well before.. of course 9's don't grow on trees like 12's do but lets develop them.. give them a start against Leinster and then throw them off the bus..
The Cairns story was a FOLK outrage, however, he was not a nipper, he appeared OK to me but that is it.

Digressing briefly to a point made by Snipe, only 2 decent 9s in Ireland, I believe that is a miserly look at things, McGrath the Mexicanbastard is given no credit whatsoever here, OK he's a Mexican and you couldn;t like one who hangs around D4 long enough, but he's better than given credit for. Reminds me of Eoin Reddan in so far as he played almost his whole career behind exceptional packs at Wasps & Mexico and was always open to "aye, right, but how would he do behind an Ulster pack circa 2017". He and Marmion are considerably better than given credit for here. Just saying like.

Now, Cockers, I fear that you like certain others, Darren Cave for example, have bought too much into this bullshit, "The FIRFUCs were right about Ruan". No they fu@king weren't, they've got lucky that a guy who has a sicknote history and who was unable to impose himself at two other provinces - possibly because of the run of injuries - has suddenly blossomed.

I'd take leave to call any muthafukka a liar who claimed that they have not been amazed and in a certain amount of disbelief at what John Cooney has produced. Like the virgin birth, nobody saw it cumming. I am not doing down Cooney, he's been outstanding, I am unhappy that happy coincidence makes some think that it was a FIRFU masterstroke, giving us a gem in waiting, the fact is that JC was slipping behind Blade as well as Marmion at Connacht.

The credit for John Cooney belongs 100% to John Cooney, SFA to do with any FIFRUC. To say that Cooney has taken his chance is a vast understatement. I cannot believe that he is anything other than a guy who has put maximum effort into his game, to me he was quick and now looks quicker, he appears also to have muscled up and he's as capable as Murray in fighting his corner. The most impressive thing to me is his mental attitude, for a guy who has not had an easy ride on pro rugby his positivity is amazing. The 2 late kicks to win games shine with positivity, especially a 49M kick against Embra, when his own action appeared to have lost the game. The fact that a self-pronounced "hobby kicker" has become so good is also a huge bonus, top scorer in the league last year (albeit many quality kickers miss huge amounts of the league games - Sexton for example)

Cockers, as for sitting back luxuriating in Ruan and thinking it would last forever, I don't buy that. Ulster has never had a production line of half-backs, believe me, I've seen ever one of them in the last 50 years first hand. Trust me you could count the good/great ones on the ballix of one scrotum full - three in my case, one for both Hitler & Franco. At 9, Roger Young was good, Colin Patterson great, Andy Matchett I've always had a soft spot for but after that a wide range of average guys doing their best.

No, half-backs are born, I don't believe they are made, they can be improved, I'm open to that possibility, they cannot be made. You wait around, muddle through with what you've got or buy a genius like Ruan. At present we've hit gold dust with Cooney more by luck than good judgement, meanwhile we must hope one of the nippers mentioned comes very good, very soon for Cooney will be called up by FOJS, he's a bluenose but he's not stupid. If we play Shanners too many times we will live to regret it.
Re: John Cooney
Postby rumncoke » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:34 pm

Connaught have the current Irish second string as a starter and a couple of scrum halfs in their Academy .

Thus time was starting to work against Cooney at Connaught and to be honest I think he is better than a bench every week .

Looks as if he has a reasonable pass, an ability to weight his kicking ,and awareness of players around him as well as a bit of pace ,and could well improve with regular game time .
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

justinr73 wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:

Re: John Cooney
Postby rumncoke » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:34 pm

Connaught have the current Irish second string as a starter and a couple of scrum halfs in their Academy .

Thus time was starting to work against Cooney at Connaught and to be honest I think he is better than a bench every week .

Looks as if he has a reasonable pass, an ability to weight his kicking ,and awareness of players around him as well as a bit of pace ,and could well improve with regular game time .
ORF

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Do not quote ORF.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BaggyTrousers wrote: Digressing briefly to a point made by Snipe, only 2 decent 9s in Ireland, I believe that is a miserly look at things, McGrath the Mexicanbastard is given no credit whatsoever here, OK he's a Mexican and you couldn;t like one who hangs around D4 long enough, but he's better than given credit for. Reminds me of Eoin Reddan in so far as he played almost his whole career behind exceptional packs at Wasps & Mexico and was always open to "aye, right, but how would he do behind an Ulster pack circa 2017". He and Marmion are considerably better than given credit for here. Just saying like.
As you well know I'm the very embodiment of firm but fair and always give a fella a fair crack.
I agree, McGrath is very much in the Reddan mold. A solid and reliable pro, but my take on international class is a high bar that he doesn't quite reach. Marmion is also a similarly good player who along with Cooney were much of a muchness until Cooney landed with us a raised his game considerably.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Somebody is faking a scam I didn’t post the above

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
222toHounslow
Warrior Chief