Celtic Cup 2.0

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Re: Celtic Cup 2.0

Post by Kofi Annan »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Neill_M wrote:Image
Do you know what I'll tell ye, given all the injuries and an HC match, that looks pretty decent?
Look at the starting Snr team and look at the A team, I see a bright future and it would appear that the Academy is producing, what we have to get right is the man to give direction of the pitch at the top, sort out that, maybe adjust coaching ticket a bit and we are going in the right way, I am happy to sit back for a season or two , I can see where this is going.

I really can’t wait to see how many players we get into the Age grade international teams, that will be interesting .

I may be wrong, but if that team can get a win in Galway they may finish 3rd in that Competition
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Yea things have certainly tightened up in the academy since Naz and Willie took over. I have heard Willie has had a huge influence in the off field activities and how lads behave as well, a lot grew up very quickly at the start of this year.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Rooster wrote:Yea things have certainly tightened up in the academy since Naz and Willie took over. I have heard Willie has had a huge influence in the off field activities and how lads behave as well, a lot grew up very quickly at the start of this year.
I've been told Willie brings the no nonsense head teacher mentality to the academy party, previous regimes lacked policing, the academy was soft and an easy ride. Those days are now gone.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
richardt84
Novice

Post by richardt84 »

There was an article on the42.ie I think where they discussed the 3 tiers of Ws which Willie had brought in to the Academy. He says they want more Warriors, but if not they want Winners. The tier below is W###### which he does not want about the place and ties in with earlier comments about the behaviour he is trying to lead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

richardt84 wrote:There was an article on the42.ie I think where they discussed the 3 tiers of Ws which Willie had brought in to the Academy. He says they want more Warriors, but if not they want Winners. The tier below is W###### which he does not want about the place and ties in with earlier comments about the behaviour he is trying to lead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.the42.ie/ulster-rugby-academ ... 2-Aug2018/

Yep that's the link to it.

Willies Warrior Scale :lol:
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

To tell the truth though, for all this talk of culture and attitude, I couldn't give a damn what they're like so long as they bring it on the pitch for Ulster.
Gerald the Mole
Warrior

Post by Gerald the Mole »

therealspratt wrote:To tell the truth though, for all this talk of culture and attitude, I couldn't give a damn what they're like so long as they bring it on the pitch for Ulster.
And there in one post shows your limited desire for success.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

therealspratt wrote:To tell the truth though, for all this talk of culture and attitude, I couldn't give a damn what they're like so long as they bring it on the pitch for Ulster.
Can you name a successful team that had a sh!tty culture and attitude?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Attitude starts off the field and continues on it.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

And you can take that to the highest court in the la................ah, no, houl'on. Let's get off that roundabout and stay on the straight - even though I'm as gay as the next man - & narrow.

#g'wanwillie
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

When you consider our limited pool of players to draw from though, I don't think we should be disregarding talented players just because they don't tick certain mental boxes. Few of these lads will rarely be the finished article by 23 let alone 18.
222toHounslow
Warrior Chief

Post by 222toHounslow »

therealspratt wrote:When you consider our limited pool of players to draw from though, I don't think we should be disregarding talented players just because they don't tick certain mental boxes. Few of these lads will rarely be the finished article by 23 let alone 18.
I do. Kevin Pietersen springs to mind. England rose to number one test team in the world after binning him.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

therealspratt wrote:When you consider our limited pool of players to draw from though, I don't think we should be disregarding talented players just because they don't tick certain mental boxes. Few of these lads will rarely be the finished article by 23 let alone 18.
Interesting thoughts.....

What's the alternative approach though if they don't tick the mental boxes?

What I am seeing is an academy that has produced more players over the last couple of seasons than it has in maybe the 5/6 seasons previous to that. It's working.

My own theory is that it may not be about ticking mental boxes at the beginning spratty, you're brought in and exposed to an academy culture which facilitates the growth of a strong mental mind and you go from there.

If you can develop the mental toughness just like any other skill you'll progress.

Those that are perceived to not having the ability to develop the mentality don't get a shot at the academy just like those that don't have the base kicking, catching, passing etc to develop get disregarded also.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Rodney feck banned for4 weeks for gubbing a guy, 6 reduced to 4 because he smiled nicely wore a good set of threads and didn't deny the obvious fact that he chined a bloke.

Just what the doctor ordered another month of comfort food whilst banned. :roll:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

I’d have him repeatedly carrying sandbags up the Mem Stand steps . I don’t think he’d manage one run without taking a break for a slice of battered pizza.
The Academy seems to have clicked into gear, but we need recognise and hold onto the talent that’s there.
Hopefully the days of Academy players having four competitive games per season and scratching their arse5 for the remainder, are behind us.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.