Image
Image
Image

Topics Calendar

October 2018

S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

Who is online

In total there are 11 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 7 guests

Most users ever online was 454 on Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:04 pm

Registered users: AhrefsBot, Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], SemrushBot


Legend :: Administrators, Moderators

Statistics

Total posts 653514
Total topics 19079
Total members 2926
Our newest member Poth Ale

Old School v New

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderators: The Fonz, Moderators

  • Advertisement

Topic Rating:
  • Not rated
  

Old School v New

Postby Liz Fraser » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:44 pm

Any preferences?
Personally I think more than ever rugby has lost its soul and any form of ingenuity.
Everyone is doing the same thing but the best teams just do it better.

Back in the day teams were distinctive by their styles and geniuses were allowed to express their brilliance.
Nowadays they are snuffed out and seen as being unwanted mavericks.
Only the All Blacks stand out as a side so dominant that individual brilliance can come to the fore.
Cant see this changing any time soon.

Leinster good side as were Sarries but scarely remember anything which resonates with me in their Euro successes that could compare with say Humps effort v Stade Francais in 99

But maybe I'm a dinosaur and maybe in years from now.we will be looking back at the likes of Sexton Warbuton Farrell etc with the same rose tinted glasses as I currently see yesteryear.

However really not sure where the next BOD, Williams or Robinson are coming from.
Never mind a Blanco JPR or Gibson as rugby is currently played to instruction and no one goes off script.
I have small hope for Jordan Larmour but that's all, otherwise is that that then?
User avatar
Liz Fraser
Squire
 
Posts: 637
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:52 pm

Re: Old School v New

Postby Russ » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:47 pm

Warburton was shyte

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
 
Posts: 28137
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:27 pm
Location: Looking for George North's defence

Re: Old School v New

Postby Dave » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:49 pm

The amateur era and the pro era are different sports.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
User avatar
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
 
Posts: 17847
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:27 pm

Re: Old School v New

Postby Liz Fraser » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:08 pm

Dave wrote:The amateur era and the pro era are different sports.

Right there that's the problem.
They really aren't.
Rugby can learn a thing or 3 from the players coaches and teams of yesteryear.
Instead they are confusing old for dated.

In terms of camaraderie and team building we could learn something from the past.
Some of the lines of running and handling and working space are lost art forms.
Dummys side steps and hand offs have been replaced by monotonous pods and systems.
Proper tackling over collisions would alleviate concussion issues should be looked at.

New isn't always better.
User avatar
Liz Fraser
Squire
 
Posts: 637
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:52 pm

Re: Old School v New

Postby Dave » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:21 pm

Liz Fraser wrote:
Dave wrote:The amateur era and the pro era are different sports.

Right there that's the problem.
They really aren't.
Rugby can learn a thing or 3 from the players coaches and teams of yesteryear.
Instead they are confusing old for dated.

In terms of camaraderie and team building we could learn something from the past.
Some of the lines of running and handling and working space are lost art forms.
Dummys side steps and hand offs have been replaced by monotonous pods and systems.
Proper tackling over collisions would alleviate concussion issues should be looked at.

New isn't always better.
They are. That's why some dinosaurs are clueless on here. E.g. rum n coke.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
User avatar
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
 
Posts: 17847
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:27 pm

Re: Old School v New

Postby UlsterNo9 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:22 pm

Willie John wouldn't get a game for Ulster this Saturday
#LOGANOUT
User avatar
UlsterNo9
Chancellor to the King
 
Posts: 3322
Images: 1
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:02 pm

Re: Old School v New

Postby Snipe Watson » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:38 pm

Jeepers, this is a rabbit warren. Rugby is evolving and will continue to do so as smart alecs work out ways to outflank the opposition. The current stage of evolution has a structured format and dominant defences.
#NotMyCountry
User avatar
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
 
Posts: 22826
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:42 pm

Re: Old School v New

Postby BaggyTrousers » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:09 pm

Interesting quandary Liz, I believe I saw the greatest rugby player ever, Gareth Edwards, mainly during that golden era for Wales in the seventies. He enabled two great 10s, Barry John & Phil Bennett to show their individual genius, whilst showing his own full range of skills, but above all with Gareth, his indefatigable will to win and the power in that relatively small frame was what set him aside as just a different class. The only player I saw to rival him was CMH Gibson NIFC.

There is no doubt that the game was slower and I do to a large extent buy into the theory that they are different games and comparing Edwards to Carter is like trying to compare Gentleman Jack Johnston with Mohammed Ali or Joe Louis.

Although you see skill in abundance from the All Blacks, indeed arguably much more than 30 years ago, the team is everything, all good things come from the team gelling and collectively overpowering and outplaying the opposition and with those the opportunity for individual skill, though they specialise in the team try.

I believe that the sheer fitness, size and power of players these days mitigates against some former greats finding the space to do their thing, the team has become much more important than the individual.

I don't see a clear resolution/agreement on your thread Liz, but maybe a few interesting thoughts. :thumleft:
Support the team and coaching staff. Forget the rest,BUT NEVER MOVE ON.

FIRFU - FU'CK YOU ONE AND ALL, CAVING IN TO SPONSORS, SACKING THE INNOCENT FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE, SHAMEFUL BASTA'RDS. YOU'VE LOST MY SUPPORT & I HOPE MORE ULSTERMEN & WOMEN
User avatar
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
 
Posts: 29709
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:29 pm
Location: España

Re: Old School v New

Postby Deraless » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:16 pm

UlsterNo9 wrote:Willie John wouldn't get a game for Ulster this Saturday
Way too old.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
Deraless
Lord Chancellor
 
Posts: 4028
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:26 am

Re: Old School v New

Postby Liz Fraser » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:33 pm

Deraless wrote:
UlsterNo9 wrote:Willie John wouldn't get a game for Ulster this Saturday
Way too old.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Joking asides Willie John would probably be a prop in modern rugby.

Forwards loose play is incomparable as they hunted as an 8 man pack back in the day whereas now it's a general rule of 3, conscious of over committal of numbers in both attack and defence.
They have become handlers, linkers instead of solely providing the backs ball.

Lineout were a lottery rucks were a kick fest but interesting the way scrums are now are closer to what they were 40 years ago than 5, so a prime example of learning from the past.

The main issues I see are in the backs.
In terms of skill, spacial awareness and handling I think there has been regression sacrificed for power and bludgeon.

I am driven to frustration watching simple overlaps blown by players looking for contact or cut out passes not commiting defenders.

I was watching a move that the Aussies scored against the 89 Lions in the first test.
It was dismissed out of hand by other coaches as it was too old school.
I implemented it and we've scored every time as the opposition didn't know what was going on.
Confirmed to me that we can still learn from lines of running and timing.
https://youtu.be/D5GKgD5d2Ec
1 minute 40 in the Aussies were masters at it.
User avatar
Liz Fraser
Squire
 
Posts: 637
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:52 pm

Re: Old School v New

Postby caledoniancelt » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:30 am

You should be coaching Ulster instead of Desperate Dan.
User avatar
caledoniancelt
Initiate
 
Posts: 540
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:45 am
Location: The potato growing part of North Down

Re: Old School v New

Postby BaggyTrousers » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:17 am

Liz Fraser wrote:
Deraless wrote:
UlsterNo9 wrote:Willie John wouldn't get a game for Ulster this Saturday
Way too old.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Joking asides Willie John would probably be a prop in modern rugby.

Forwards loose play is incomparable as they hunted as an 8 man pack back in the day whereas now it's a general rule of 3, conscious of over committal of numbers in both attack and defence.
They have become handlers, linkers instead of solely providing the backs ball.

Lineout were a lottery rucks were a kick fest but interesting the way scrums are now are closer to what they were 40 years ago than 5, so a prime example of learning from the past.

The main issues I see are in the backs.
In terms of skill, spacial awareness and handling I think there has been regression sacrificed for power and bludgeon.

I am driven to frustration watching simple overlaps blown by players looking for contact or cut out passes not commiting defenders.

I was watching a move that the Aussies scored against the 89 Lions in the first test.
It was dismissed out of hand by other coaches as it was too old school.
I implemented it and we've scored every time as the opposition didn't know what was going on.
Confirmed to me that we can still learn from lines of running and timing.
https://youtu.be/D5GKgD5d2Ec
1 minute 40 in the Aussies were masters at it.


FFFS Liz that should have had a health warning, I haven't had my brekkie yet and you inflict something with that thundercunt Guscott in it without warning. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Support the team and coaching staff. Forget the rest,BUT NEVER MOVE ON.

FIRFU - FU'CK YOU ONE AND ALL, CAVING IN TO SPONSORS, SACKING THE INNOCENT FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE, SHAMEFUL BASTA'RDS. YOU'VE LOST MY SUPPORT & I HOPE MORE ULSTERMEN & WOMEN
User avatar
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
 
Posts: 29709
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:29 pm
Location: España

Re: Old School v New

Postby rumncoke » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:20 am

There is a lot of truth in the statement that professional players have to play to the script -- and because they do the talent and flair is hidden .

Basically the script is safety first never give the opposition the space to run at you . Avoid kicking away possession -- possession being 9 10ths of defence on the simple truth that the opposition can't score without the ball, without the ball the opposition will become frustrated and give away penalties .

Given space there are players who can exploit it thus the defensive game has become developed to ensure the ball cannot get wide and the gain line is protected by slowing the recycle.

There is also the a tendency to forget that Old school rugby frequently had its share of boring games possible some more boring than the modern game -- endless scrums and line outs , frequent knock-ons due to a slippery wet leather ball that weighed a ton with games played on pitches more mud than grass.

The annoying thing about the modern game is not so much the players but commentators who inflate the ordinary to a greatness they have no chance of attaining.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
User avatar
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor
 
Posts: 5930
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:39 pm

Re: Old School v New

Postby Liz Fraser » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:32 am

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Liz Fraser wrote:
Deraless wrote:
UlsterNo9 wrote:Willie John wouldn't get a game for Ulster this Saturday
Way too old.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Joking asides Willie John would probably be a prop in modern rugby.

Forwards loose play is incomparable as they hunted as an 8 man pack back in the day whereas now it's a general rule of 3, conscious of over committal of numbers in both attack and defence.
They have become handlers, linkers instead of solely providing the backs ball.

Lineout were a lottery rucks were a kick fest but interesting the way scrums are now are closer to what they were 40 years ago than 5, so a prime example of learning from the past.

The main issues I see are in the backs.
In terms of skill, spacial awareness and handling I think there has been regression sacrificed for power and bludgeon.

I am driven to frustration watching simple overlaps blown by players looking for contact or cut out passes not commiting defenders.

I was watching a move that the Aussies scored against the 89 Lions in the first test.
It was dismissed out of hand by other coaches as it was too old school.
I implemented it and we've scored every time as the opposition didn't know what was going on.
Confirmed to me that we can still learn from lines of running and timing.
https://youtu.be/D5GKgD5d2Ec
1 minute 40 in the Aussies were masters at it.


FFFS Liz that should have had a health warning, I haven't had my brekkie yet and you inflict something with that thundercunt Guscott in it without warning. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Sorry Baggy but at least there was no Carling.
User avatar
Liz Fraser
Squire
 
Posts: 637
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:52 pm

Re: Old School v New

Postby Liz Fraser » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:34 am

caledoniancelt wrote:You should be coaching Ulster instead of Desperate Dan.

I would see that as a backward step Supercally.
User avatar
Liz Fraser
Squire
 
Posts: 637
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:52 pm

Next


  • Advertisement

Return to View frae thae Hill

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Recent Forum Topics

!-- Piwik -->