UBL 2018/19

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Columbo
Squire

UBL 2018/19

Post by Columbo »

This year is an interesting one for the league, given the behind the scenes war that seems to be ongoing between the IRFU - which wants to transition to an all Ireland semi-pro competition sitting below the provinces - and the bigger clubs, particularly in Leinster, for whom the status quo is working fine, and for some of whom at least, any change will result in a loss (of prestige, players, money, members, spectators or all the above). As far as I can tell the Ulster clubs are sitting on the sidelines a bit at the minute.

Interesting one for the Ulster clubs as well, as after years of neglect and under-performance, we finally have a few clubs in 1B, and the aim this year seems to be to concentrate resources in these clubs to get them back to the top tier. The result is that this year's 1B is a bit of a cracker for Ulster clubs with Ulster derbies all over the place - kicking off on 6th Oct with Ballymena vs Malone...

1B: Ballynahinch, Ballymena, Armagh, Banbridge, Malone
2A: Queen's
2B: Belfast Harlequins, Rainey, Dungannon
2C: Bangor, City of Derry, Omagh

Other things to watch down the divisions: can QUB pull together a decent squad and get up the divisions? It's would be nice to see some big clubs come to play at such good facilities.. Have 'Quins stopped the rot? Very poor show from them over the last few years, they need to get their act in gear..

To anyone who has never bothered checking out the AIL, I can actually highly recommend it. If you're an Irish rugby anorak, it's a good way to see how academy / fringe squad players look up against the kind of gnarly campaigners you get in 1A and 1B, as well as against their peers from the other provincial academies, and these days the quality of matches is pretty reliably high (at least in 1A/B). You can even get a seat out of the elements at Ballymena, Queens and Quins (possibly elsewhere) and shout out to the Binmen who have done a cracking job on the bar :thumleft:
..one more thing
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: UBL 2018/19

Post by Russ »

UTB
Ex pro prop Michael Cromie appointed as club captain

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

A wee seat would be nice at Hinch or Banbridge.

Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

Deraless wrote:A wee seat would be nice at Hinch or Banbridge.

i actually think they should use the lower pitch at Hinch - very nice surrounded by the trees, and you can stand up on the bank and get some elevation for a good view of the pitch! Cut a few shallow terraces into the bank, stick in some wooden benches, bobs yer uncle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
..one more thing
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Do any AIL clubs (apart from Cork) have seats?

Tighthead Prod
Novice

Post by Tighthead Prod »

Russ wrote:Do any AIL clubs (apart from Cork) have seats?

UCD at Belfield Bowl
St Marys RFC
Clontarf if I remember correctly,
Bective Rangers and whoever they share the ground with at Donnybrook
Old Belvedere and Terenure have tiered concrete steps where you can plant an ample backside ...on a dry day
Obviously Lansdowne and Shannon if not playing on ''back pitches'' at Aviva and Thomond respectively , but that would be rare...Dont know if Wanderers still have any ''rights'' to play in main Aviva Stadium ??
Ballymena and Belfast Harlequins

...Im sure there are more

Russ, you really have to travel beyond the confines of Co Down :stir:
http://www.thefru.co.uk Valiant for Truth Justice and the Ulster Way.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Tighthead Prod wrote:

UCD at Belfield Bowl
St Marys RFC
Old Belvedere and Terenure have tiered concrete steps where you can plant an ample backside ...on a dry day
Obviously Lansdowne and Shannon if not playing on ''back pitches'' at Aviva and Thomond respectively , but that would be rare...Dont know if Wanderers still have any ''rights'' to play in main Aviva Stadium ??

Went to Dungannon RFC once
Had to move abroad to cleanse

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Russ wrote:
Tighthead Prod wrote:

UCD at Belfield Bowl
St Marys RFC

Went to Dungannon RFC once
Had to move abroad to cleanse

You could have just stayed in Dungannon.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

Tighthead Prod wrote:

UCD at Belfield Bowl
St Marys RFC

dont forget QUB - best ground in Ulster...

..one more thing
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

Russ wrote:UTB
Ex pro prop Michael Cromie appointed as club captain

good player.. I see Alex Thompson will be playing at Bann next year as well

..one more thing
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Seats at Malone and if you want you can sit inside at the upstairs bar in Armagh and watch the matches.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Rooster wrote:

Seats at Malone and if you want you can sit inside at the upstairs bar in Armagh and watch the matches.
What I'm saying is, maybe it's time for clubs to invest in the kind of small stands that are appearing in lower league english football

UR13IRFU
Novice

Post by UR13IRFU »

Ross Adair back at Hinch this season?
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

UR13IRFU wrote:Ross Adair back at Hinch this season?
Big if true

thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

Columbo wrote:This year is an interesting one for the league, given the behind the scenes war that seems to be ongoing between the IRFU - which wants to transition to an all Ireland semi-pro competition sitting below the provinces - and the bigger clubs, particularly in Leinster, for whom the status quo is working fine, and for some of whom at least, any change will result in a loss (of prestige, players, money, members, spectators or all the above). As far as I can tell the Ulster clubs are sitting on the sidelines a bit at the minute.

Interesting one for the Ulster clubs as well, as after years of neglect and under-performance, we finally have a few clubs in 1B, and the aim this year seems to be to concentrate resources in these clubs to get them back to the top tier. The result is that this year's 1B is a bit of a cracker for Ulster clubs with Ulster derbies all over the place - kicking off on 6th Oct with Ballymena vs Malone...

1B: Ballynahinch, Ballymena, Armagh, Banbridge, Malone
2A: Queen's
2B: Belfast Harlequins, Rainey, Dungannon
2C: Bangor, City of Derry, Omagh

Other things to watch down the divisions: can QUB pull together a decent squad and get up the divisions? It's would be nice to see some big clubs come to play at such good facilities.. Have 'Quins stopped the rot? Very poor show from them over the last few years, they need to get their act in gear..

To anyone who has never bothered checking out the AIL, I can actually highly recommend it. If you're an Irish rugby anorak, it's a good way to see how academy / fringe squad players look up against the kind of gnarly campaigners you get in 1A and 1B, as well as against their peers from the other provincial academies, and these days the quality of matches is pretty reliably high (at least in 1A/B). You can even get a seat out of the elements at Ballymena, Queens and Quins (possibly elsewhere) and shout out to the Binmen who have done a cracking job on the bar :thumleft:
Can you explain this a bit more? What changes are they looking to make and why are the Leinster clubs against it?
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND