Image
Image
Image

Topics Calendar

August 2018

S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

Who is online

In total there are 13 users online :: 6 registered, 1 hidden and 6 guests

Most users ever online was 454 on Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:04 pm

Registered users: AhrefsBot, Bing [Bot], ding dong2u, Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], SemrushBot


Legend :: Administrators, Moderators

Statistics

Total posts 647839
Total topics 19019
Total members 2917
Our newest member Cap10

Birthdays

Congratulations to: PhilstuckinEdinburgh (37)

Ulster Academy 2018-19

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderators: The Fonz, Moderators

  • Advertisement

Topic Rating:
  • Not rated
  

Re: Ulster Academy 2018-19

Postby Columbo » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:10 pm

couple of eye-catching stats: Agnew is just 5'11" - not unheard of I guess (Hooper & Cloete spring to mind), but there aren't many sub 6' back rows around. 95 kg though, could add another couple and be a proper little nugget.

Good to see a good batch of 6'3" - 6'4" back rows coming through

the two 10s - quite a contrast, Lowry 5'7" ( :shock: that's the height of Paul Marshall...) Houston 6'4"; Also Balacoune 6'4" - anyone know if these are remotely accurate? I see Hume is on at 6', I'd have had him more like 6'2" or so.

I know these stats are often as flaky as the day is long...
..one more thing
User avatar
Columbo
Initiate
 
Posts: 320
Images: 0
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:56 pm

Re: Ulster Academy 2018-19

Postby therealspratt » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:19 pm

Lowry is maybe even smaller than Paul, but he does more than plenty to make up for it.
User avatar
therealspratt
Warrior Assassin
 
Posts: 1351
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:53 pm

Re: Ulster Academy 2018-19

Postby Dave » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:34 pm

Lowry has a very good tackle technique. Players like ihumph were taller but couldn't tackle a sandwich.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
User avatar
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
 
Posts: 16961
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:27 pm

Re: Ulster Academy 2018-19

Postby kUD » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:24 am

http://www.the42.ie/ulster-academy-hugh ... 8-Jul2018/

Summary of who's in and out.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
User avatar
kUD
Novice
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:31 am

Re: Ulster Academy 2018-19

Postby jean valjean » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:08 pm

http://www.the42.ie/ulster-rugby-academ ... 2-Aug2018/

Interesting insight into what Anderson and Campbell are trying to achieve.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
User avatar
jean valjean
Steward
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:03 pm

Re: Ulster Academy 2018-19

Postby justinr73 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:42 pm

A good read.
User avatar
justinr73
Warrior Assassin
 
Posts: 1382
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:14 pm

Re: Ulster Academy 2018-19

Postby Fortyniner » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:03 pm

Excellent stuff and the Campbell/Anderson duo sound like a coaching match made in heaven.
More power to their elbow.
We (UR) shall return!
User avatar
Fortyniner
Novice
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:33 pm

Re: Ulster Academy 2018-19

Postby Rooster » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:25 am

Fortyniner wrote:Excellent stuff and the Campbell/Anderson duo sound like a coaching match made in heaven.
More power to their elbow.
We (UR) shall return!
I get the feeling that Campbell and Anderson are the best coaching partnership we have and still will be even though McFarland and Peel are coaching the senior side.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
User avatar
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
 
Posts: 39522
Images: 5
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:39 am
Location: Chicken coop 17

Re: Ulster Academy 2018-19

Postby Dan Dare » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:38 am

Good read and says the right stuff, but from what I have heard historically, it is the polar opposite of what was happening in there in the past. Willie has brought a different aspect to it and things do seem to be changing, especially the fact that we are getting more on Irish age grade teams. Good luck to them all.
User avatar
Dan Dare
Squire
 
Posts: 659
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:41 am

Re: Ulster Academy 2018-19

Postby therealspratt » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:53 am

Remain to be convinced as to the suitability of Campbell to be running the academy and deciding who gets in.
User avatar
therealspratt
Warrior Assassin
 
Posts: 1351
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:53 pm

Re: Ulster Academy 2018-19

Postby 222toHounslow » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:05 am

therealspratt wrote:Remain to be convinced as to the suitability of Campbell to be running the academy and deciding who gets in.


For what reason/reasons? Merely curious
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
User avatar
222toHounslow
Warrior
 
Posts: 1241
Images: 0
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:05 pm

Re: Ulster Academy 2018-19

Postby Gerald the Mole » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:26 am

therealspratt wrote:Remain to be convinced as to the suitability of Campbell to be running the academy and deciding who gets in.


why , where you or your son turned down :roll:

Facts are speaking for themselves as far as i can see from this report. It was badly run before and for some it was a stepping stone. loolks like Campbell and Willy have it right and are building a good foundation for those that come afterwards.

I guess every year you get kid walking through the door as the next big thing in their daddy's eye , was a big fish in school but when among others better than him he is just not that a stand out, that and probably attitude when he realizes he is not the next Dan Carter, Sorry your son did not make it, Randalstown 3s are looking players mind you.
User avatar
Gerald the Mole
Steward
 
Posts: 907
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:44 am

Re: Ulster Academy 2018-19

Postby therealspratt » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:33 am

I've heard some rather negative things about the mental box that Campbell wants potential players to fit into, meaning we've missed out on some really very talented players, with them plumping for lads more likely to toe their line. The much more pedestrian Stewart over O'Donnell for example.

For the longest time our academy was run by incompetents, some small degree of professionalism was always going to pay dividends, it still doesn't necessarily mean that Campbell is the right man for it.
User avatar
therealspratt
Warrior Assassin
 
Posts: 1351
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:53 pm

Re: Ulster Academy 2018-19

Postby Gerald the Mole » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:57 am

therealspratt wrote:I've heard some rather negative things about the mental box that Campbell wants potential players to fit into, meaning we've missed out on some really very talented players, with them plumping for lads more likely to toe their line. The much more pedestrian Stewart over O'Donnell for example.

For the longest time our academy was run by incompetents, some small degree of professionalism was always going to pay dividends, it still doesn't necessarily mean that Campbell is the right man for it.


well you and I will never know that, as i said results and caps are showing me, the fan that its working so I am happy with that. I would expect to see more of the kids getting Senior games this year and i reckon that will happen . you have harped on some time about O'Donnell , maybe he lacks something else to be a pro player, IIRCC I believe he played last year in a game against a select team , I watched that and thought he was pretty average, but then people see different things. maybe you should get him to Jersey or London Scottish
User avatar
Gerald the Mole
Steward
 
Posts: 907
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:44 am

Re: Ulster Academy 2018-19

Postby therealspratt » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:16 pm

Gerald the Mole wrote:
therealspratt wrote:I've heard some rather negative things about the mental box that Campbell wants potential players to fit into, meaning we've missed out on some really very talented players, with them plumping for lads more likely to toe their line. The much more pedestrian Stewart over O'Donnell for example.

For the longest time our academy was run by incompetents, some small degree of professionalism was always going to pay dividends, it still doesn't necessarily mean that Campbell is the right man for it.


well you and I will never know that, as i said results and caps are showing me, the fan that its working so I am happy with that. I would expect to see more of the kids getting Senior games this year and i reckon that will happen . you have harped on some time about O'Donnell , maybe he lacks something else to be a pro player, IIRCC I believe he played last year in a game against a select team , I watched that and thought he was pretty average, but then people see different things. maybe you should get him to Jersey or London Scottish

I've nothing to do with the lad! I just know him to be a better prospect than Stewart.
User avatar
therealspratt
Warrior Assassin
 
Posts: 1351
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:53 pm

PreviousNext


  • Advertisement

Return to View frae thae Hill

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 4 guests

Recent Forum Topics

!-- Piwik -->