Ulster Academy 2018-19

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Columbo
Squire

Re: Ulster Academy 2018-19

Post by Columbo »

couple of eye-catching stats: Agnew is just 5'11" - not unheard of I guess (Hooper & Cloete spring to mind), but there aren't many sub 6' back rows around. 95 kg though, could add another couple and be a proper little nugget.

Good to see a good batch of 6'3" - 6'4" back rows coming through

the two 10s - quite a contrast, Lowry 5'7" ( :shock: that's the height of Paul Marshall...) Houston 6'4"; Also Balacoune 6'4" - anyone know if these are remotely accurate? I see Hume is on at 6', I'd have had him more like 6'2" or so.

I know these stats are often as flaky as the day is long...
..one more thing
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

Lowry is maybe even smaller than Paul, but he does more than plenty to make up for it.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Lowry has a very good tackle technique. Players like ihumph were taller but couldn't tackle a sandwich.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
kUD
Novice

Post by kUD »

http://www.the42.ie/ulster-academy-hugh ... 8-Jul2018/

Summary of who's in and out.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

http://www.the42.ie/ulster-rugby-academ ... 2-Aug2018/

Interesting insight into what Anderson and Campbell are trying to achieve.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

A good read.
Fortyniner
Novice

Post by Fortyniner »

Excellent stuff and the Campbell/Anderson duo sound like a coaching match made in heaven.
More power to their elbow.
We (UR) shall return!
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Fortyniner wrote:Excellent stuff and the Campbell/Anderson duo sound like a coaching match made in heaven.
More power to their elbow.
We (UR) shall return!
I get the feeling that Campbell and Anderson are the best coaching partnership we have and still will be even though McFarland and Peel are coaching the senior side.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Dan Dare
Squire

Post by Dan Dare »

Good read and says the right stuff, but from what I have heard historically, it is the polar opposite of what was happening in there in the past. Willie has brought a different aspect to it and things do seem to be changing, especially the fact that we are getting more on Irish age grade teams. Good luck to them all.
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

Remain to be convinced as to the suitability of Campbell to be running the academy and deciding who gets in.
222toHounslow
Warrior Chief

Post by 222toHounslow »

therealspratt wrote:Remain to be convinced as to the suitability of Campbell to be running the academy and deciding who gets in.
For what reason/reasons? Merely curious
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Gerald the Mole
Warrior

Post by Gerald the Mole »

therealspratt wrote:Remain to be convinced as to the suitability of Campbell to be running the academy and deciding who gets in.
why , where you or your son turned down :roll:

Facts are speaking for themselves as far as i can see from this report. It was badly run before and for some it was a stepping stone. loolks like Campbell and Willy have it right and are building a good foundation for those that come afterwards.

I guess every year you get kid walking through the door as the next big thing in their daddy's eye , was a big fish in school but when among others better than him he is just not that a stand out, that and probably attitude when he realizes he is not the next Dan Carter, Sorry your son did not make it, Randalstown 3s are looking players mind you.
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

I've heard some rather negative things about the mental box that Campbell wants potential players to fit into, meaning we've missed out on some really very talented players, with them plumping for lads more likely to toe their line. The much more pedestrian Stewart over O'Donnell for example.

For the longest time our academy was run by incompetents, some small degree of professionalism was always going to pay dividends, it still doesn't necessarily mean that Campbell is the right man for it.
Gerald the Mole
Warrior

Post by Gerald the Mole »

therealspratt wrote:I've heard some rather negative things about the mental box that Campbell wants potential players to fit into, meaning we've missed out on some really very talented players, with them plumping for lads more likely to toe their line. The much more pedestrian Stewart over O'Donnell for example.

For the longest time our academy was run by incompetents, some small degree of professionalism was always going to pay dividends, it still doesn't necessarily mean that Campbell is the right man for it.
well you and I will never know that, as i said results and caps are showing me, the fan that its working so I am happy with that. I would expect to see more of the kids getting Senior games this year and i reckon that will happen . you have harped on some time about O'Donnell , maybe he lacks something else to be a pro player, IIRCC I believe he played last year in a game against a select team , I watched that and thought he was pretty average, but then people see different things. maybe you should get him to Jersey or London Scottish
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

Gerald the Mole wrote:
therealspratt wrote:I've heard some rather negative things about the mental box that Campbell wants potential players to fit into, meaning we've missed out on some really very talented players, with them plumping for lads more likely to toe their line. The much more pedestrian Stewart over O'Donnell for example.

well you and I will never know that, as i said results and caps are showing me, the fan that its working so I am happy with that. I would expect to see more of the kids getting Senior games this year and i reckon that will happen . you have harped on some time about O'Donnell , maybe he lacks something else to be a pro player, IIRCC I believe he played last year in a game against a select team , I watched that and thought he was pretty average, but then people see different things. maybe you should get him to Jersey or London Scottish
I've nothing to do with the lad! I just know him to be a better prospect than Stewart.