Academy prop

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Re: Academy prop

Post by rumncoke »

Having only seen O Toole he looks interesting and might develop .

The problem is a young player maybe a great ball carrier at school because of his size and maturity compare to his peers but once he leaves school the his superiority of build no longer exists and what is necessary is the technique beast and determination rather than size .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

rumncoke wrote:Having only seen O Toole he looks interesting and might develop .

The problem is a young player maybe a great ball carrier at school because of his size and maturity compare to his peers but once he leaves school the his superiority of build no longer exists and what is necessary is the technique beast and determination rather than size .
We're talking looseheads Rum, tighthead isn't anywhere near the same concern.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

I’m talking about any so called school boy prospect seen as being a ball carrier .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

therealspratt wrote:
rumncoke wrote:Having only seen O Toole he looks interesting and might develop .

We're talking looseheads Rum, tighthead isn't anywhere near the same concern.
Which only illustrates how bad loosehead is for I have plenty of concerns about TH. Moore obviously the big hope, but The Hunter is a dose more often than not contributing little and not looking remotely beastly in the scrum, Rodders? Young Kane was very disappointing to me last season having looked a likely lad, I hope he comes again and makes a fool of me.

So with nothing too comforting at TH............... yeah, loosehead looks grim. Warwick finished the season well, I'm still holding vague ...........hopes? wing and a prayer? Others? worrying.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

rumncoke wrote:I’m talking about any so called school boy prospect seen as being a ball carrier .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not talking about any school boys. O'Sullivan is 22 and O'Hagan is 24.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
LegsLikeSausages
Warrior Chief

Post by LegsLikeSausages »

If so many of our props are not meeting expectations after having shown some early promise, what does this say about Dundon?
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

LegsLikeSausages wrote:If so many of our props are not meeting expectations after having shown some early promise, what does this say about Dundon?
I can see why we should bring Dundon into question but there is no doubt in my mind that he isn't working with anyone that has potential to be a prop of international or hec winning capability.

When is the last time we developed a loosie that reached those levels? Certianly none in the pro era, unless I'm missing someone really obvious.

Tom Court came from the land down under, C Black from USA via Worcester. Justin Fitzpatrick english.

I'll give Dundon a free play on this one.

Looking at the bigger picture it's shocking to think (maybe it's not) that since the turn of the professional era you could not put a fantasy Ulster team together of players that were born in the nine counties that could challenge for a Pro 14 title.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
TopPoster
Initiate

Post by TopPoster »

UlsterNo9 wrote:
LegsLikeSausages wrote:If so many of our props are not meeting expectations after having shown some early promise, what does this say about Dundon?
I can see why we should bring Dundon into question but there is no doubt in my mind that he isn't working with anyone that has potential to be a prop of international or hec winning capability.

When is the last time we developed a loosie that reached those levels? Certianly none in the pro era, unless I'm missing someone really obvious.

Tom Court came from the land down under, C Black from USA via Worcester. Justin Fitzpatrick english.

I'll give Dundon a free play on this one.

Looking at the bigger picture it's shocking to think (maybe it's not) that since the turn of the professional era you could not put a fantasy Ulster team together of players that were born in the nine counties that could challenge for a Pro 14 title.
AN Other, Best, Best, Henderson, Davidson, 1F, Best, Wilson, AN Other, Humphries, Trimble, Wallace, Cave, Bowe, Cunningham.
Last edited by TopPoster on Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I've no great feelings yet on Dundon Legs but I suspect a few of the disappointments have predated Dundon, even Kane. Will be interesting to see how things go up front with a head coach who is a forwards coach at heart. I wrote this hours ago but forgot to post, I see 9 has said more or less what I was thinking.

I'm struggling for Ulster-born props on either side who you would be happy to hit the trenches with on either side of the scrum. Simon Best the most recent of obvious quality unless I'm missing some, Jimmy McCoy always a personal favourite and he still looks like he'd take no crap from these pros.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I blame FOLK. O'Hagan should have featured this past season.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

I think Colin Patterson should/would replace one of those ANOTHERS!
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Fans "Don't worry 'bout a thing,
'Cause every little thing gonna be all right."
I am singing ': "Don't worry (don't worry) 'bout a thing,
'Cause every little thing gonna be all right!"

Rise up this mornin',
Smiled with the risin' sun,
Three large props
Perch by my doorstep
Singin' sweet songs
Of melodies pure and true,
Sayin', "This is my message to U, A, F ,C:"

I am singin': "Don't worry about a thing, worry about a thing, oh!
Every little thing gonna be all right. Don't worry!"
Singin': "Don't worry about a thing" - I won't worry!
"'Cause every little thing gonna be all right."

Back from my holibobs. And feeling goooddddd, no negativity from me this season, the feckwit that caused this monumental feckup has gone, he is solely responsible, his lack of leadership and lack of confidence in that leader by the whole organisation put us in the deep pooh pot we were in , ( I told you so , you disbelieving bunch of cnuts) anyways it’s going to be a new year, a new dawn and I am Mr Positive this season.

Everything begins at the beginning, and quite often the beginning begins when we shift our mind in a new direction.

Let’s do this.
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Fortyniner
Novice

Post by Fortyniner »

aaaaaaah; a breath of fresh air.
Good luck with the positivity.
Many others on here have tried.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

In training to make my long awaited return during the Xmas period
Heard UR sending scouts

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
TopPoster
Initiate

Post by TopPoster »

Setanta wrote:I think Colin Patterson should/would replace one of those ANOTHERS!
All time yes but the fella was questioning the professional era so back to AN Other.