What the actual ..... ??????

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: What the actual ..... ??????

Post by Dave »

Columbo wrote: Given that he has done little in the last 2 years to attract any other side's attention, he has probably taken a whopping pay cut - so for me having a cheap former international
This would be a massive assumption to believe this. From what I hear, UR appear to have a habit of over-paying some players who do not seem worth it.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

ColinM wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
Big-al wrote:Cunningham has signed some duds as players.
Have we not established that Bryn does not identify the players, he just does negotiating and the paperwork?
Ah but Bryn is now responsible for the coaches decisions/performance so cannot be immune from criticism regarding player identification

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk
Is he? I know it has been reported to be the case here, but I would be surprised if the head coach and his staff were not involved in the conversation and we know Nucifuhrer has a big say, especially with NIQs.
Has there been any level of transparency whatsoever regarding job roles at UR? If there was, I missed it.
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Dave I couldn't agree more ... I am well prepared to give local lads the benefit of time to get their shít together ... and some have to their credit. However what I fail to get any pleasure or give any time to is 'signings' who are on waaaay bigger money bought in to do a job ... not be hand held, spoon fed and shown mercy at every monumental feck up they deliver, or don't deliver!!!

Hond for example - was he really bought to be injured and ... when actually spotted ... shyte? Rod brought in from elsewhere - not as an academy prospect but to perform ... has he ... hells bells no. Yet we persist with dung on our books. If you cant afford marquee signings then at least buy someone who can actually do a job ... mlud exhibit 1 - Stienmetz, exhibit 2 Muller, P3, Brosnahan, Sexton, Ward, Danielli ... need we go on ... on the world scene none of these got on to page 1 but they were bloody good, dedicated and excellent business by UR ...

The list of underperforming dross is ENORMOUS .... Herrons, Rodneys, Kershaws, Honds, Barbaras, Hairy Daves, thon other wee scrum half we never saw and cant remember ... shitkofskis, Pfisters, Barts, Dewey all brought in with great bluster and a fanfare promising the moon ... and under inspection delivered ..... da da daaaa - 100% pure nothingness ... and having seen a display of utter nothingness for over a season or two ... we feckin resign them. Gimme strength.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

If Rodney is on a lesser contract now that his last then it amounts to very little. Connacht were not renewing his contract and from what I understand he didn't have many other options.

I trust Dan who has coached him previously when he was up for Irish selection * knows exactly how he ticks and can get more out of him.

Herbst and Kane have been injured more often than not over the past 18 months.

O'Toole looks a great prospect but at 19 he shouldn't be playing week in week out as a professional tighthead. It would be irresponsible.

* Rodney gained his test caps on the same Argentina tour as Disco I think?
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

Either he's taking a deservedly massive paycut or they're planning on binning Herbst in a year's time and so need to keep the depth up, I just can't rationalise paying him a wage otherwise. Even then if we're getting rid of Herbst I'd rather we were done with both and took a punt on some cheap prospect, academy or otherwise. Rodney's wages really should have been chucked into the loosehead pot.
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

I think No 9 has hit the "rational" (if there is any) on the head ...

I await with baited breath on the Press statement form UR about the total awesomeness of the might of Rodney in the squad. When they release the standard ballix for the facebook lemmings ... do they know or are they worried that anyone with half a brain knows that the only story that will fly here is that they're are worried that Marty might spend more time in the nose bag than Rodney ... Poppadum Kane and Daktari spend more time on the physios couch than being upright and O'Toole has to be in bed before 9 most nights. Therefore for minimum wage and free cheeseburgers we're keeping The Rod on ice to unleash if and only if the other 4 go awol, or kidnapped by ISIS or get signed by Bristol ...
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Cornerfleg wrote:Dave I couldn't agree more ... I am well prepared to give local lads the benefit of time to get their shít together ... and some have to their credit. However what I fail to get any pleasure or give any time to is 'signings' who are on waaaay bigger money bought in to do a job ... not be hand held, spoon fed and shown mercy at every monumental feck up they deliver, or don't deliver!!!

Hond for example - was he really bought to be injured and ... when actually spotted ... shyte? Rod brought in from elsewhere - not as an academy prospect but to perform ... has he ... hells bells no. Yet we persist with dung on our books. If you cant afford marquee signings then at least buy someone who can actually do a job ... mlud exhibit 1 - Stienmetz, exhibit 2 Muller, P3, Brosnahan, Sexton, Ward, Danielli ... need we go on ... on the world scene none of these got on to page 1 but they were bloody good, dedicated and excellent business by UR ...

The list of underperforming dross is ENORMOUS .... Herrons, Rodneys, Kershaws, Honds, Barbaras, Hairy Daves, thon other wee scrum half we never saw and cant remember ... shitkofskis, Pfisters, Barts, Dewey all brought in with great bluster and a fanfare promising the moon ... and under inspection delivered ..... da da daaaa - 100% pure nothingness ... and having seen a display of utter nothingness for over a season or two ... we feckin resign them. Gimme strength.
Agree regarding young players. They can be given ample time to develop. It's the likes of Rodney, who is nearly 30 and still is missing tackles, at times unable to catch the ball/hold on to it, passive around the ruck etc. Other times he looks decent, carries well and holds up the scrum.

It was the same with Diack. He would have one stormer of a game and then produce 15 games of pish. You would always be thinking, maybe this is the year or a corner has been turned. Sadly his time has been and gone.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

therealspratt wrote:Either he's taking a deservedly massive paycut or they're planning on binning Herbst in a year's time and so need to keep the depth up, I just can't rationalise paying him a wage otherwise. Even then if we're getting rid of Herbst I'd rather we were done with both and took a punt on some cheap prospect, academy or otherwise. Rodney's wages really should have been chucked into the loosehead pot.
Question to everyone....

What was his salary with his previous contract? An exact figure will do not an assumption?

We gave Jonny "Moe" Simpson a punt from the academy / development contract pool. I'll stick with Rodney.

Rod when he catches the ball can carry. He's capable and we all have seen a sickening momentum changing tackle out of him. Albeit both not often enough.

Scrummaging and lineouts he's at pro level.

There's a player in there its up to the coaches to get it out.
Last edited by UlsterNo9 on Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Dan might think he's shyte.
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

He might have improved by January when Dan gets here ... mind, Dan might be here ... Dan might be overseeing preseason training .. then again our head coach may be elsewhere and has no idea wtf is going on ... who knows ... UR signed him with the same pen as Rodney ... basically a magic 8 ball and a map of Lisburn.

Anyone else inspired ...
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

UlsterNo9 wrote:
therealspratt wrote:Either he's taking a deservedly massive paycut or they're planning on binning Herbst in a year's time and so need to keep the depth up, I just can't rationalise paying him a wage otherwise. Even then if we're getting rid of Herbst I'd rather we were done with both and took a punt on some cheap prospect, academy or otherwise. Rodney's wages really should have been chucked into the loosehead pot.
Question to everyone....

What was his salary with his previous contract? An exact figure will do not an assumption?

We gave Jonny "Moe" Simpson a punt from the academy / development contract pool. I'll stick with Rodney.

Rod when he catches the ball can carry. He's capable and we all have seen a sickening momentum changing tackle out of him. Albeit both not often enough.

Scrummaging and lineouts he's at pro level.

There's a player in there its up to the coaches to get it out.
There has to be some accounting for personal responsibility and in that side of things he's failed. Like I say, I'd have binned him, seen what Peter Cooper's up to and spent Rodney's wages on a loosehead.
stu
Novice

Post by stu »

Columbo wrote:*in the sense that when fit and motivated, as he was at Connacht (under a certain Dan McFarland)
Maybe McFarland has asked for him to be retained.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Dave wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
Big-al wrote:Cunningham has signed some duds as players.
Have we not established that Bryn does not identify the players, he just does negotiating and the paperwork?
Ehhh excuse me Snipe, this is the UAFC. We just go with the explanation that makes us feel the angriest.
Something I am usually perfectly happy with, however with the caveats I mentioned it is a case of why not. To hear some of you clowns you'd think we were coming done with THs, our stock rivals Munster's 10's, plenty of them, quality questionable. Add in that props break regularly and it's tough to be overstocked.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Columbo wrote:Unpopular opinion - this is a good decision! Given that he has done little in the last 2 years to attract any other side's attention, he has probably taken a whopping pay cut - so for me having a cheap former international with significant option value* in the tighthead depth chart is a great bit of business. I would imagine on this one that Bryn and Dan conferred.

*in the sense that when fit and motivated, as he was at Connacht (under a certain Dan McFarland) and early in his career for us, he is a solid scrummager and an exceptional ball carrier. If he could get back to the form he showed in his last season for Connacht, he's in our first choice 23 for sure IMO
For a minute I thought I heard an echo :shock: :shock: :shock:

Columbus dear, your opinion mirrors mine therefore congratulations on your perspicacity. :D
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

You may have a point Baggy ... Ulster will never NAVER ... willingly surrender to uncontested scrums ... as the reality is we have a Indiana Jones style warehouse filled with THs to wheel out ... each one slightly but significantly worse than the one that went before....

Don't panic ... don't panic .. we are covered at TH ... we've feckin 5 of them, any more and you'd need 2 hands to count them ... we can all sleep safely ...

....Mind we've maybe 2 LHs, maybe thank feck they don't break .... 1 scrum half and 1 out half ... granted if they get broke we're fecked ... but at TH ... we're are feckin suckin diesel ... yeah ... can I hear an Amen ... !!!!!
Last edited by Cornerfleg on Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.