What the actual ..... ??????

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Re: What the actual ..... ??????

Post by ColinM »

Snipe Watson wrote:
ColinM wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
Big-al wrote:Cunningham has signed some duds as players.
Have we not established that Bryn does not identify the players, he just does negotiating and the paperwork?
Ah but Bryn is now responsible for the coaches decisions/performance so cannot be immune from criticism regarding player identification

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk
Is he? I know it has been reported to be the case here, but I would be surprised if the head coach and his staff were not involved in the conversation and we know Nucifuhrer has a big say, especially with NIQs.
Has there been any level of transparency whatsoever regarding job roles at UR? If there was, I missed it.
I might be referring to Slogan's 6 Nations grand slam interview with himself, or maybe the slightly later one with Simpson but he stated that the pro game is now Bryn's responsibility in his new Director of Operations role. The Head Coach reports to Bryn now that there is no Director of Rugby post FOLK, and therefore I think it is right that Bryn is not absolved of responsibility in identifying contracts as well as execution.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Snipe Watson wrote:
ColinM wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
Have we not established that Bryn does not identify the players, he just does negotiating and the paperwork?
Ah but Bryn is now responsible for the coaches decisions/performance so cannot be immune from criticism regarding player identification

Is he? I know it has been reported to be the case here, but I would be surprised if the head coach and his staff were not involved in the conversation and we know Nucifuhrer has a big say, especially with NIQs.
Has there been any level of transparency whatsoever regarding job roles at UR? If there was, I missed it.
I wish you were always this accurate Snipe :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have to conclude that with the exclusion of you, me and perhaps one or two others, the summer heat is baking the minds of the great unwashed of the UAFC.

A huge amount of balls being spoken, on one hand, we are outraged at how few players we will have next season, then when one resigns, presumably and deservedly on a reduced stipend, all shyte breaks the dams and we are swimming in verbal diarrhoea up to our necks.

Some ultra-Warren Gatland hereabouts.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

BaggyTrousers wrote:, all shyte breaks the dams and we are swimming in verbal diarrhoea up to our necks.

Some ultra-Warren Gatland hereabouts.

You have taught us all well Baggy ... you must be proud. :lol:
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

ColinM wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
ColinM wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:

I might be referring to Slogan's 6 Nations grand slam interview with himself, or maybe the slightly later one with Simpson but he stated that the pro game is now Bryn's responsibility in his new Director of Operations role. The Head Coach reports to Bryn now that there is no Director of Rugby post FOLK, and therefore I think it is right that Bryn is not absolved of responsibility in identifying contracts as well as execution.
You are absolutely right Colin, the buck stops with Bryn NOW, previously not the case as I understand things. However, with a new coach arriving ........ this year, next year, sometime ............ does anyone really think that a player that McFarland has previously coached will not have been referred to him to see if he wants to keep him? Seems utterly implausible to me but on the flip side, yes, from here on in Bryn has no hiding place on signings.

I fail to believe that any coach would sign up for the basket case of Irish rugby without being given assurances that he will be fully consulted and involved with all signings, so yes, the buck stops with Bryn, but that gives no hiding place for any of the coaches either.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

I like Rodney

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
222toHounslow
Warrior Chief

Post by 222toHounslow »

Going by recent seasons, it’s likely only two out of five will be available at any time. Does no harm holding on to RAY.

With the Uruguay team coming, do they have loose heads that could be signed?
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

ColinM wrote:I might be referring to Slogan's 6 Nations grand slam interview with himself, or maybe the slightly later one with Simpson but he stated that the pro game is now Bryn's responsibility in his new Director of Operations role. The Head Coach reports to Bryn now that there is no Director of Rugby post FOLK, and therefore I think it is right that Bryn is not absolved of responsibility in identifying contracts as well as execution.
:lol: :lol: :lol: I'd almost forgotten that, the old hard-hitting self-interview, where you could almost see the bits at the start of each segment where, having set the camera up he was jogging round to face it again :D seriously what a bell-end. Tbh I'd take a handful of salt with anything that came out of his mouth in the last couple of months, where he seemed to think he was scrapping for survival, even when he had already been marched off the gangplank and was plunging into the sea.

I must say I find it hard to see Bryn in that capacity - as in a de facto DoR role. I see him as the off-field yin to McFarland's on-field yang as it were. Who will McFarland be answerable to? In practice, probably Nucifora - maybe in theory to the Ulster CEO, but I think it will be Nucifora in practice...
..one more thing
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

Dave wrote:
Columbo wrote: Given that he has done little in the last 2 years to attract any other side's attention, he has probably taken a whopping pay cut - so for me having a cheap former international
This would be a massive assumption to believe this. From what I hear, UR appear to have a habit of over-paying some players who do not seem worth it.
That may be so for some overseas signings, but Ulster (and in fairness all the Irish provinces) run a pretty tight ship with Irish players, and are ruthless when it comes to renegotiating if they are able to. I've heard stories of guys being offered a new contract up to 50% lower than their previous one.. I don't know for sure, but I would say Rodney may have been in that camp (although as a 3 he might have been overpaid from the start)
..one more thing
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Snipe Watson wrote:
ColinM wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:

I have previously suggested that Bryn was effectively the person that signed Marcel although I have to say I am somewhat unsure as to the exact timeline and where he was at that point.. but if signed Marcel presumably it had to be Ok''d by the then HC at the time... but a clear indication that Bryan was directly involved in the signing of at least one player.. but then again was that as an agent or as one of the several job title descriptions he has held since arriving.. if the later then he is involved in signings or is it just the ones he wants to claim.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

UlsterNo9 wrote:There's a player in there its up to the coaches to get it out.
To be honest I think this is the reason he attracts such negativity on here. While people often go on about 'Daves' I have a lot of time and respect for players who work their socks off to try and make the cut, but don't quite get there. One of my favourite players in seasons past was Tim Barker because he struck me as a man that tried to make up for a lack of natural talent by turning his work rate and aggression up to 11.

Rod obviously has the talent, he's shown on a handful of ocassions he can play, but most of the time his heart doesn't seem to be in it. As you say, 'if' he were to get his head in the right place and start making the most of his ability he'd be an asset, but watching someone who seems like he'd rather be any where else on the field in an Ulster shirt rubs me up the wrong way.
GUBU
Novice

Post by GUBU »

MightyRearranger wrote:
UlsterNo9 wrote:There's a player in there its up to the coaches to get it out.
To be honest I think this is the reason he attracts such negativity on here. While people often go on about 'Daves' I have a lot of time and respect for players who work their socks off to try and make the cut, but don't quite get there. One of my favourite players in seasons past was Tim Barker because he struck me as a man that tried to make up for a lack of natural talent by turning his work rate and aggression up to 11.

Rod obviously has the talent, he's shown on a handful of ocassions he can play, but most of the time his heart doesn't seem to be in it. As you say, 'if' he were to get his head in the right place and start making the most of his ability he'd be an asset, but watching someone who seems like he'd rather be any where else on the field in an Ulster shirt rubs me up the wrong way.
Correct. One of our problems in recent years has been not getting the best out of those kind of 'if' players.

Nick Williams being a case in point. Most of us had written him off as inconsistent at best, fit for the knacker’s yard at worst, but the folk at Cardiff obviously saw something there and got a more than decent season out of him.

I assume that McFarland thinks he can get a season out of Rodney, on the basis of having worked with him before.
“It was a bizarre happening, an unprecedented situation, a grotesque situation, an almost unbelievable mischance.”
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

222toHounslow wrote:Going by recent seasons, it’s likely only two out of five will be available at any time. Does no harm holding on to RAY.

Big lad frae Bentos I believe.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

big mervyn wrote:
222toHounslow wrote:Going by recent seasons, it’s likely only two out of five will be available at any time. Does no harm holding on to RAY.

Big lad frae Bentos I believe.
An ethnic minority gay prop that's exactly the diversity the Ulster squad needs to appeal to sponsors.

Can imagine it now Nigel Owen penalising him for boring in at scrum time.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Especially if the prop used to be called Mildred.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

GUBU wrote: Correct. One of our problems in recent years has been not getting the best out of those kind of 'if' players.

Nick Williams being a case in point. Most of us had written him off as inconsistent at best, fit for the knacker’s yard at worst, but the folk at Cardiff obviously saw something there and got a more than decent season out of him.

I assume that McFarland thinks he can get a season out of Rodney, on the basis of having worked with him before.
That middle paragraph is not correct at all, the rest is fine. Fat Nick was gassed to make way for the incoming Marcell, he'd had injury issues but was a firm favourite. Of course, as it has turned out, we'd have been better keeping Fat Nick.

Sod's Law says: if Ulster can get it wrong, they will get it wrong. Sod's Law is 97.689% accurate.