Ulster Squad 2018/19

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster Squad 2018/19

Post by Deraless »

He was at the family day so must have at least been at pre-season. Saw him in his civvies at the home friendly and not since.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Thought it was a trial and then he got injured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The King is dead. Long live the King.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Did someone not say that he came at the behest of D4 to see if it would work out. It seems it didn't.

Looks like we're not getting the other international 9 that was being considered either.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

He had a squad profile pic in the UR website.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

kingofthehill wrote:Thought it was a trial and then he got injured.
Presumably then after he got injured, we did sign him, but then because of the trial (in which he was found not guilty), his contract was terminated.

Tis the Ulster Way. :red:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Jackie Brown wrote:Is it 5yrs for a project now?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Yip.

Marcell said recently that the fact that Ulster stood by him will count when he considers his future. I'm hoping that is slightly ambiguous only because he doesn't want to put himself in the position of accepting a crap offer but will take a reasonable offer. He is still in recovery mode I'd guess but I thought he put himself about well yesterday.

I'm hoping come Christmas time that he has shown himself someone we desperately want to keep.
Are project players still being targetted by the IRFU since the ruling went up to 5 years? I know for those who were here before the ruling changed it has stayed at 3.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

BR wrote:Did someone not say that he came at the behest of D4 to see if it would work out. It seems it didn't.

Looks like we're not getting the other international 9 that was being considered either.
Who was there other international 9 that was being considered?

Just on 9s, what is the alleged role Pienaar is returning to fulfil?
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Just on 9s, what is the alleged role Pienaar is returning to fulfil?
Scrum half.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

UlsterNo9 wrote:
BR wrote:Did someone not say that he came at the behest of D4 to see if it would work out. It seems it didn't.

Who was there other international 9 that was being considered?

Just on 9s, what is the alleged role Pienaar is returning to fulfil?
Haven't a clue, but I remember reading an interview before he left that if he was to become a coach, he'd prefer to start as a youth/academy coach and work his way up the coaching ladder.
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

kingofthehill wrote:How many NIQs do Ulster have?

Marcell
Deysel

Speight doesn’t count.

Project
Hond

Is that right? Seems to be very very light on World Class NIQ players.

Going forward.

Priority 1 - A NIQ loosehead or Dooley.
Priority 2 - A NIQ 2nd row.
Possibility- A NIQ tighthead to aid TOT (obviously if Moore stays fit and looks promising then keep as is)
Possibility - with the likes of Hume and Moore coming through and Luke Marshall coming back from injury I still feel we are a centre light.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes we currently have 2 NIQs + Speight, plus (theoretically) SVDM as a project. It was supposed to be down to 3+1, but towards the end of last season Bryn was back talking about 4+1 (Munster currently have 6 including Mathewson).

I think LH is a glaring weakness - I have a feeling Dooley re-signed with Leinster for a couple of years, I do wonder how he and Byrne can possibly be happy turning out for Leinster A for the forseeable future, but there you have it.. After that we badly need cover at 9 IMO
..one more thing
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

Big-al wrote:Haven't a clue, but I remember reading an interview before he left that if he was to become a coach, he'd prefer to start as a youth/academy coach and work his way up the coaching ladder.
Great players don't necessarily make great coaches.

We had quite a few average scrum halves go through the system when St. Ruan was here. If he was a great coach surely one of them would have been good enough to develop into something better than what beagle plateaued at!
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

Columbo wrote:I think LH is a glaring weakness - I have a feeling Dooley re-signed with Leinster for a couple of years, I do wonder how he and Byrne can possibly be happy turning out for Leinster A for the forseeable future, but there you have it.. After that we badly need cover at 9 IMO
That was my thinking.

They are probably competing for the most competitive prop spot in Europe!
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Amiga500 wrote:
Big-al wrote:Haven't a clue, but I remember reading an interview before he left that if he was to become a coach, he'd prefer to start as a youth/academy coach and work his way up the coaching ladder.
Great players don't necessarily make great coaches.

We had quite a few average scrum halves go through the system when St. Ruan was here. If he was a great coach surely one of them would have been good enough to develop into something better than what beagle plateaued at!
I guess that great players do so much by instinct that they could find it very difficult to communicate it to lesser mortals.
johnnymonaghan
Novice

Post by johnnymonaghan »

I heard a whisper that Ian Eagle is surplus to requirements in Leinster. He could certainly do a job for ulster in the 2nd row.

Also heard he's being linked heavily with the AP. If he's still under contract with Leinster maybe a move north could be engineered?

Especially in light of Pete Browne's retirement ....
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

johnnymonaghan wrote:I heard a whisper that Ian Eagle is surplus to requirements in Leinster. He could certainly do a job for ulster in the 2nd row.

Also heard he's being linked heavily with the AP. If he's still under contract with Leinster maybe a move north could be engineered?

Especially in light of Pete Browne's retirement ....
Ian Nagle would be surplus to requirements in almost any pro team, no thanks.